• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

When is the smackdown on Chris Horner?

Page 104 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I just browsed the last few pages of this thread - and I KNOW other ppl are thinking this - so I am wondering why it was not said outright - unless sarcasm has become the required modality?

Chris Horner claims he is clean. Chris Horner just won a GT! (OMG!) Now Chris Horner can't get a contract for next year! (OMG again!)

How many people think maybe the TEAM managers think that Chris Horner is saucing and too hot to handle????

hiero2 said:
I just browsed the last few pages of this thread - and I KNOW other ppl are thinking this - so I am wondering why it was not said outright - unless sarcasm has become the required modality?

Chris Horner claims he is clean. Chris Horner just won a GT! (OMG!) Now Chris Horner can't get a contract for next year! (OMG again!)

How many people think maybe the TEAM managers think that Chris Horner is saucing and too hot to handle????

The truth lies probably somewhere between that and Horner's asking price.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
hiero2 said:

I would have trouble hiring a soon to be 42 year old first time GT winner. I think that anyone who wasn't shaking their heads at his Vuelta performance is absurdly in denial. Anyone on the inside of cycling has to be doubly suspicious.

I think the dude's hotter than a Fukushima fuel rod, and nobody is willing to take on that kind of nuclear waste in this environment. Why take the risk?

May 18, 2009
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:
I would have trouble hiring a soon to be 42 year old first time GT winner. I think that anyone who wasn't shaking their heads at his Vuelta performance is absurdly in denial. Anyone on the inside of cycling has to be doubly suspicious.

I think the dude's hotter than a Fukushima fuel rod, and nobody is willing to take on that kind of nuclear waste in this environment. Why take the risk?

Totally agree. Even if somebody thought he was clean, the age thing would still be a deterrent.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
MarkvW said:
The truth lies probably somewhere between that and Horner's asking price.

ChewbaccaD said:

Asking price? Sounds logical, but how smart is it for a 40+ year old rider to make price demands (not requests, but demands) when he isn't getting offers? Leaving RS without an offer in his pocket? Risky strategy. So, yeah, maybe asking price is a factor, but I tend to think nuclear heat is the unstated, yet stronger, motivation.

Which, actually, gives me some optimism for the peloton in general. It means SOMEBODY out there is "getting the message". And change may really be in the wind. Maybe, just maybe . . .

On the other hand, if I'm being cynical, I would think the "other guys" out there don't want the attention pointed in their direction that taking Horner in could mean. Which could mean they have a program they are protecting, and don't want anybody looking any more than they already do.

Back to "Maybe, just maybe . . ." being about the most positive note I can get out of this.

zigmeister said:
Age. Asking price. Buyer's market.

I would be surprised if any hot commodity whose contract was up now could get more money at that age.

Sagan...yes...Horner...no.

Agreed.

A cyclist is an investment. And even if he is winning no one believes in it.

But he has to pay his Doc and products tab so he's going to need 500k+.

If I were Horner I'd take 250k, go full genius and win the Tour at 43.

That will show them.

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Digger said:
Has anyone seen the original tweet from vaughters last night re: horner and levi?
He deleted it.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong (and please do), but I believe he said he'd rather give Levi a second chance than sign Horner.

Bannockburn said:
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong (and please do), but I believe he said he'd rather give Levi a second chance than sign Horner.
Would be interesting, if that's the case. But I can not believe it. I mean how could Vaughters imply, that a guy who rides in this Clean Bio passport time, is a bigger cheat than Levi??? Doesn't make sense to me.

Aside from the doping suspicions, Horner spends much of each season sick or injured, even in his banner year (2013) he was out of commission for most of it. This will only get worse as he continues to age, so he's a pretty risky bet. That said, I think the posters on this board underestimate how much of a hero/marketing force Horner is to the American 40+ set. All my masters friends love watching the old man beat up on youngsters despite the required suspension of disbelief.

Samson777 said:
Would be interesting, if that's the case. But I can not believe it. I mean how could Vaughters imply, that a guy who rides in this Clean Bio passport time, is a bigger cheat than Levi??? Doesn't make sense to me.

Doesn't makes sense in the new era of clean cycling.

What also doesn't make sense is that Vaughters dropped hints about Horner's profile being like a stage profile... it wasn't.

Now he's telling teams not hire him.

Maybe so.

But Vaughters spent the best part of his riding career doping and once retired not confessing to it.

Not sure he's in a position to judge.

Even though Horner needs the smackdown, who's Vaughters to judge on such matters?

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Its too bad JV got chased away from the clinic by those evil people asking him questions :rolleyes:

It would be nice to know how he can be so sure that Horner is doping, while being "not sure" about Froome.

the sceptic said:
Its too bad JV got chased away from the clinic by those evil people asking him questions :rolleyes:

It would be nice to know how he can be so sure that Horner is doping, while being "not sure" about Froome.

CVV and Dave Z never did transfusions.

They are your friendly neighborhood dopers.

They deserve to be rich.

Not other dopers. They're bad.

proffate said:
Aside from the doping suspicions, Horner spends much of each season sick or injured, even in his banner year (2013) he was out of commission for most of it. This will only get worse as he continues to age, so he's a pretty risky bet. That said, I think the posters on this board underestimate how much of a hero/marketing force Horner is to the American 40+ set. All my masters friends love watching the old man beat up on youngsters despite the required suspension of disbelief.

Without the license (WT) driver this year (plus the uncertainty related to the new UCI president), a team would pretty much have to hire Horner based on projected performance next year. I think testers will be all over Granpa, a bit like flies attracted to elephant dung. Then should Horner deliver a result, Journalists will follow with doping questions until the final crit in Beijing. No sure its particularly positive on the balance.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
the sceptic said:

I doubt it was the asking questions - in fact he appeared to appreciate that.

I would assume it has more to do with people slamming him without even knowing what he actually is supposed to have done - unless of course you wish to link or relate what was in his (since deleted?!) tweet as well as to where he said Horner is doping.

thehog said:
Doesn't makes sense in the new era of clean cycling.

What also doesn't make sense is that Vaughters dropped hints about Horner's profile being like a stage profile... it wasn't.

Now he's telling teams not hire him.

Maybe so.

But Vaughters spent the best part of his riding career doping and once retired not confessing to it.

Not sure he's in a position to judge.

Even though Horner needs the smackdown, who's Vaughters to judge on such matters?

Would you like to link to where JV actually said CHs profile was like a stage profile? The only ref I can find is though other parties (ie Willerton & RR).
And you can back up where JV is telling teams not to hire Horner.

Dr. Maserati said:

I would assume it has more to do with people slamming him without even knowing what he actually is supposed to have done - unless of course you wish to link or relate what was in his (since deleted?!) tweet as well as to where he said Horner is doping.

Would you like to link to where JV actually said CHs profile was like a stage profile? The only ref I can find is though other parties (ie Willerton & RR).
And you can back up where JV is telling teams not to hire Horner.

JV & RR aren't one of the same thing? ;)

I jest.

Due to JV's propensity to delete his handy work not doubt it's gone.

But I will allow you to find it for me.

You're good at that.

Cheers.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:

How do you expect me to link to a deleted tweet?

After the vuelta he tweeted that he didnt think anyone would be interested in Horner, similarly to Cobo a few years ago. That is a pretty strong hint at what he thinks of Horner.