• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

When is the smackdown on Chris Horner?

Page 108 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
At least Cobo was young enough to justify a contract of more than a year, and modest enough in his salary expectations (and Geox folded late enough that his points were worthless) that he was able to take what was there. Horner wanted to be paid like a GT winner, has had to revise his demands down a couple of times, but teams rightfully don't want to offer more than the bare minimum to a guy at 42 whose achievements were greeted in the media with incredulity. There are lots of dopers out there to sign that won't be greeted with the same raised eyebrows from the press as Chris Horner, and many sponsors don't want the risk. Unfortunately for him, he comes with the stench of Armstrong on him. His public image should have been toxic from the moment he won País Vasco, to be honest, but the longer it's gone on and he's got better and better, what had been "great to see an older guy finally get to the top after years hidden away in the domestic calendar" is now "seriously, does he not realise just how stupid this looks from the outside?!"

Libertine Seguros said:
Unfortunately for him, he comes with the stench of Armstrong on him. His public image should have been toxic from the moment he won País Vasco, to be honest, but the longer it's gone on and he's got better and better, what had been "great to see an older guy finally get to the top after years hidden away in the domestic calendar" is now "seriously, does he not realise just how stupid this looks from the outside?!"

As the barman said to the alcoholic "if you could see what I can see you wouldn't be doing this to yourself".

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
It´s good to see that this vuelta win didn´t fool anyone (not the press, not the fans, not the teams). Late revenge for his TdF omerta tactics on Hincapie, his toxic passport, and his shameless interviews. Hope Tygart is still after this "redacted rider".
But give the guy one last conti contract. The testers need more chances for a positive, before he can be finally thrown into the ash heap of cycling history...

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
It´s good to see that this vuelta win didn´t fool anyone (not the press, not the fans, not the teams). Late revenge for his TdF omerta tactics on Hincapie, his toxic passport, and his shameless interviews. Hope Tygart is still after this "redacted rider".
But give the guy one last conti contract. The testers need more chances for a positive, before he can be finally thrown into the ash heap of cycling history...

Yea yea, we get it. You hate Horner. There is new stuff out for you to react to, with respect to the "clean team's" last Giro winner. What do you think of that? Still only a few "bad eggs" or is maybe the whole game still a bit rotten?

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
The whole game is rotten, but Horner stands on top of everything....

Sure i hate Horner, but not more than "Hog" or others who hate shameless dopers...

The problem is Horner is showing the others especially the young cyclists that they can dope and win the biggest cycling races and get away with it in this so called clean era even with the improved testing/Biopassport/OOC:mad:.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Of course, and that makes the less cynics like me angry. That´s the reason Horner has to be punished, so that the young see they can´t be sure of making a career by cheating only.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Of course, and that makes the less cynics like me angry. That´s the reason Horner has to be punished, so that the young see they can´t be sure of making a career by cheating only.

Dont worry foxxy. Froome has already shown all the kids out there that you can climb as fast as Armstrong clean. Who needs doping anymore?

MarkvW said:
Horner is pure omerta, yet he's not getting a tiny bit of love from the peloton. That's got to taste so sour for him.

He's going to write a book--and it's going to be a good one!!

It's a shame cyclists can't tell the truth..... otherwise he could say:

"Look why can't you hire me? I'm only on a traditional program of blood bags and microdosing EPO. What about Froome? He must be on the full package of Gas6, AiCAR, EPO and transfusions. If he can ride then so should I"

May 26, 2010
Visit site
MarkvW said:
Horner is pure omerta, yet he's not getting a tiny bit of love from the peloton. That's got to taste so sour for him.

He's going to write a book--and it's going to be a good one!!

Wonder did his chasing down GH on Champs E'lysse pi$$ off the peloton?

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Wonder did his chasing down GH on Champs E'lysse pi$$ off the peloton?

that stunt was about showing off his crit skills... like his "big" results back in USA club racing before he came to Europe

May 26, 2010
Visit site
sublimit said:
that stunt was about showing off his crit skills... like his "big" results back in USA club racing before he came to Europe

I was being serious, but nice reply. Lots in the peloton believe that the 'Yella Virus' that swept through the peloton from '99 to '05 raised the sport to new levels and money earnings. Gh was part of that so Horner doing what he did might have been unappreciated.

thehog said:
It's a shame cyclists can't tell the truth..... otherwise he could say:

"Look why can't you hire me? I'm only on a traditional program of blood bags and microdosing EPO. What about Froome? He must be on the full package of Gas6, AiCAR, EPO and transfusions. If he can ride then so should I"
You really think that 42 year old Horner rode the 2nd fastest ascent of Angliru ever on less dope than Froome? :eek:

Horner might have a tad more talent, but nonetheless, to perform at this level at his age I'm sure he's on a full package too.

maltiv said:
You really think that 42 year old Horner rode the 2nd fastest ascent of Angliru ever on less dope than Froome? :eek:

Horner might have a tad more talent, but nonetheless, to perform at this level at his age I'm sure he's on a full package too.

------------------------

Difficult to tell who's on what, but not hard to tell that both are on something. And today with football season ending back in Norway, we have a top-scorer who is 39 years old and used to play on our best ever team internationally, Rosenborg. He was previously top-scorer in 2001 and 2004.

Not many manage to even stay in pro-sport at age 39, but to be top-scorer must be quite rare, is he the only one ? Would it be mean to say that one suspects things about the physically strong team he originally came from, a team that dominated Norwegian football, and won the league every year from 1992-2004. Of course this is the main EPO-era, and if only one team was on epo, the advantage would be big even in football yes ?

Another thing about the city of Trondheim, were Rosenborg is from, it is also the city of many many successful norwegian cross-country skiers, from marit Bjørgen, to petter Northug.

I think that they're still turning in the same sorts of elevated speeds we grew accustomed to seeing during the era of unabated EPO use is an indication that either they are using a new and as-yet undetectable PED (such as the equine drug that improves levels of oxygen release from haemoglobin) or they have found more techniques for obfuscating EPO use.

Regarding Horner's employment for 2014, wasn't there a period when Barry Bonds was without a baseball contract, but before the indictments came down? As if the teams' managers knew he was toxic, and might have "hunched" that the charges were coming?

TRENDING THREADS