• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

When is the smackdown on Chris Horner?

Page 159 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Damn, too bad I did not start "Which old fish will squish under Vueltish bus?" thread. I can only feel sorry for poor punters, being ripped off in the name of cleanliness.

In any case, if we read it like "Movement for CREDIBLE cycling takes down full genius horny pappy", it looks rather positive.

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
I guess they wanted to pull the plug before he really got busted. But why sign him in the first place? I mean they must have suspected/known that he was up to something when they signed him? He must have started getting really reckless.

Cookster15 said:
Biased reasons? Well I for one still find very hard to swallow that a near 42 year old is good enough to win GTs no matter what the circumstances. Sure this situation may be plausible but overall - especially knowing the recent history of this sport - you can excuse people of being suspicious of a near 43 year old who can still ride for GC in a Grand Tour against the best of guys in their late 20s to early 30s. Statistical outlier? No sorry that doesn't wash.

I still agree 100% with the OPs premise no matter if this weeks circumstance could be legitimate or not.

Its not just that he won the gt. On the face of it that could have happened through luck.

But he won the gt by destroying a stacked field in the mountains, and more importantly posted the second fastest time ever up L'Angliru, despite doing it on the final day (as opposed to 2nd week), not being pushed by competition, and being very relaxed and out of the saddle for the whole climb.

That's what makes it impossible to believe Horner is clean.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Its not just that he won the gt. On the face of it that could have happened through luck.

But he won the gt by destroying a stacked field in the mountains, and more importantly posted the second fastest time ever up L'Angliru, despite doing it on the final day (as opposed to 2nd week), not being pushed by competition, and being very relaxed and out of the saddle for the whole climb.

That's what makes it impossible to believe Horner is clean.
nah, what makes it impossible is like Jens, still being a competent pro at 41.

dislike jens, massive horner homie tho

Kinda figured that signing Horner was not going to work out for Lampre. Worked great for Horner though. Got one last big paycheck. What did he have, about 20 race days? He can retire now and say he has never been popped.

Gonna miss the fireworks would have created in the Vuelta though. Bam

The Hitch said:
Unless I misread the article he did nothing illegal and was volunteered to not participate by his team even though legally there would have been nothing wrong in doing so. But he had the tue and in any case he did not actually race on the drugs, even though he was allowed to.

This is like saying someone was found guilyy of robbery when a friend gave them
Permission to break into his house when he was away, in order to borrow some film he had, but they didn't do it anyway cos their parents said - don't do it.

If anything from a doping angle horners chances of getting caught at the vuelta, just fell. And lampres lack of support suggests any doping programme was individual.

Consider you libel Froome at the drop of a hat, your cheek with this post is astounding.

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Futuroscope said:
I guess they wanted to pull the plug before he really got busted. But why sign him in the first place? I mean they must have suspected/known that he was up to something when they signed him? He must have started getting really reckless.

This exactly.

Futuroscope said:

Could have been ASO declining his participation. Remember that ASO has pre-tested athletes before events. I don't know if they are pre-testing at the Vuelta. I genuinely have no clue, so I could be very wrong.

Roundabout is right, the guy was racing with bronchitis for how long? And what about the terrible accident earlier this year? Ignoring the doping, that's a bad year for anyone.

It's an honourable out for him though. It will be interesting to see if a 2015 WT contract materializes. I'm guessing the UCI won't allow it. He can do a Continental Pro victory lap in the Americas. But, really he should just get a clue and hang it up. Another "never tested positive" victory.

No one will be shocked when he's discovered to be positive under retesting circumstances.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
<snipped>

It's an honourable out for him though. It will be interesting to see if a 2015 WT contract materializes. I'm guessing the UCI won't allow it. He can do a Continental Pro victory lap in the Americas. But, really he should just get a clue and hang it up.

He ought to retire from competition, stating old age making it too hard to recover from illness, etc and get hired to do TV commentary, starting immediately with the Vuelta. He would be really good at commentary, and most of the English commentators badly need to be put out to pasture (Phil, Paul, Kirby, Quigley)

If he would go on and retire now, he'd have some semblance of a cover story.

Oh, brother. What is with people acting like Horner tested positive for steroids.This is a simple situation. He used corticosteroids and MPCC policies are designed to prevent riders from racing with an advantage from real or (as is often the case) phony TUEs.

The MPCC policies are a big contrast with those of Team Sky, which feels it is okay to race under the influence of PEDs. People wonder why Sky has refused to join the MPCC. This is why.

The iffy thing about this is that the MPCC has created a peloton a deux vitesses. It is hard to say competition is fair when some teams are able to race while using a variety of PEDs but other teams are not.

The fridge in the blue trees said:
Or maybe neither of the 2...

From CN:

I would disagree

Horner:“I think I've been on a steady stream of antibiotics since probably about 10 days before the Tour de France. So from 10 days before the Tour until now, I'm sure there's been some kind of antibiotics in my system the whole time."

So, the guy has some sort of health problem for about two months and meanwhile he finishes freaking Tour de France on the 17th place while riding as a dom for half the tour then he goes on to finish Tour of Utah second but somehow needs steroids to compete in Vuelta?

I don't think we can speak about a risk. When they prescribed the medication it was effectively the end of Horner's participation in the Vuelta. But of course there might be other things that we do not know about.

Beech Mtn said:
He ought to retire from competition, stating old age making it too hard to recover from illness, etc and get hired to do TV commentary, starting immediately with the Vuelta. He would be really good at commentary, and most of the English commentators badly need to be put out to pasture (Phil, Paul, Kirby, Quigley)

If he would go on and retire now, he'd have some semblance of a cover story.
Having Horner as commentator would be one of the funniest things ever.

We would need translation from English to Spanish back and forward.LOL.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Another "never tested positive" victory.

No one will be shocked when he's discovered to be positive under retesting circumstances.

But it won´t hold forever.
The lie is too big. Was it DiCanio who first spoke?
Anyway. More will come. Books been written. Anti-Doping agencies asking witnesses. History to repeat.
Not as big as LA, but this clown will fall and end up with nothing. The absurd Vuelta 2013 declared with no winner...

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Oh, brother. What is with people acting like Horner tested positive for steroids.This is a simple situation. He used corticosteroids and MPCC policies are designed to prevent riders from racing with an advantage from real or (as is often the case) phony TUEs.

The MPCC policies are a big contrast with those of Team Sky, which feels it is okay to race under the influence of PEDs. People wonder why Sky has refused to join the MPCC. This is why.

The iffy thing about this is that the MPCC has created a peloton a deux vitesses. It is hard to say competition is fair when some teams are able to race while using a variety of PEDs but other teams are not.

The alternative view is that it is wrong that some riders are having to chose between healthcare and racing because of the marketing group their team belongs to.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Anyway. More will come. Books been written. Anti-Doping agencies asking witnesses. History to repeat.
Not as big as LA, but this clown will fall and end up with nothing. The absurd Vuelta 2013 declared with no winner...
If he is nice, it will hold forever just like many have.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:

Dude won one race, I give better odds that this happens to Froome or Nibali or Hesjedal sooner.

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:

He'll always be a champion.:D

The Hitch said:

Just want to mention that he was pushed real hard by Nibali on Angliru.

Sad that Horner can't start, would have been fun.

TRENDING THREADS