• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

When is the smackdown on Chris Horner?

Page 160 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
ciranda said:
Just want to mention that he was pushed real hard by Nibali on Angliru.

Sad that Horner can't start, would have been fun.

Would've been fun but will be more entertaining if he commentates this year. He could be good and the only drug he would require is now legal in Washington and Colorado and abundant everywhere else. He should embrace this as an opportunity to GTF out of the way.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Saw this news when it first broke but haven't had time to appropriately respond.

Was to have been a great show in Spain. :(

veganrob said:
What did he have, about 20 race days?

Fewest race kilometers in 2014 of any rider in the TdF.

@TweeterSagan: My new movies

BvsB_vBCIAAD23n.jpg

:D

sad that Papy is out

In this whole episode, everything was deliberate
Horner had bronchitis. He went for the specifically for the cortisone solution as it was the most effective. He even got the doctors to say that large doses were recommended. This helped him to kill 2 birds with one stone. Get rid of the bronchitis as well as get enhanced muscle power to grind up the mountains. Lampre management also gave complete approval knowing that there investment would be competitive otherwise. Besides the TUE nicely covers everyones' backside.
Que the MPCC. i suspect they have their sources in the UCI as to who has applied for the TUEs specifically cortisone related. I don't think they came to know of it from Lampre. They deliberately targeted Horner knowing fully well the kind of over the top rider and team.
And Horner is out:p
Just like the list of doping sanctions, the list of TUEs also needs to be made public

I give the photochopper credit for that. Takes a lot of time/energy of your precious life to make that.

Look, the UCI is the problem guys. They allow the TUEs, remember the Froome insanity a few months back?!?!

Don't blame Lampre necessarily. Until the other organization they voluntarily signed onto came into play regarding cortisol levels, then they stepped back and pulled Horner.

It is odd/surprising how many guys get *sick* and need cortisol, have bronchitis. I mean, I ride/race 3 days a week at a high level...but I don't ride grand tours and that silly level like these Pros. So maybe they do get sick more. But I never get sick...maybe once a year, and it is nothing.

So makes you wonder why so many illnesses, then the drugs..vicious cycle maybe? Taking cortisol is causing the HPT supression with high levels for longer times, making them more susceptible to illness?

There is something unique/strange with cycling and guys getting sick. Because there are several studies of pro/olympic athletes that showed no difference in how often they get sick compared to the general public. So the physical exertion/efforts isn't the cause.

Makes you start to look/think about other things, and that would point to drugs your body is exposed to, for temporary gains in performance, that would effect your bodies ability to fight infection.

Or maybe I'm nuts. Just sayin'.

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Lampre will ink Horner for at least one more year. He's got Star Power, not too many guys in their 40s ripping up HC climbs with 20yr olds. That takes real talent.

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Mayomaniac said:
With Robo Basso returning next year he'll be a domestique anyway.

I still can't wrap my head around the Basso transfer. So past his prime, and they already have enough experienced members to mentor the up and comers. Maybe i'm just confused.

yespatterns said:
I still can't wrap my head around the Basso transfer. So past his prime, and they already have enough experienced members to mentor the up and comers. Maybe i'm just confused.

Speaking of star power ^^^
Basso is a worthy super dom..he's flashy and rides well..he doesn't have to be a leader to make a good signing. Tinkoff is smart.:)

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Based on what we've witnessed thus far in the Vuelta, does anyone think that Chris, in his top form, would still be within striking distance of the podium had he been racing?

Have we any reason to believe that he would've been able to match the show currently being put on by Contador and Froome?

Ferrari has him at 6.75 for 16:42 on Pena Cabarga last year

Contador was at 6.41 for 17:45 today, but it was a much harder stage and after two big mountain stages

while Horners time was done later in the race (Stage 18), it was after a flat stage and a rest day.

to answer the question, if Horner had the form of last year then yeah, I think he definitely would have been up there today

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
zlev11 said:
to answer the question, if Horner had the form of last year then yeah, I think he definitely would have been up there today

Good post. But it's not just today I'm considering. Would he be contention for the podium given all the previous days as well?

Damn. I really wish that Chris had raced, and that Quintana hadn't crashed out.

What would we have seen? :eek:

i think he would definitely be around the top 5, if not ahead of Froome in 2nd place.

none of the climbs in the first 13 stages would have troubled him. then Stage 14 on Camperona would be right in is wheelhouse, short and steep, and he would have been fine yesterday since the favorites didn't really go all out.

the only thing was the TT, he probably would have done a time similar to Aru and Gesink, if not worse, so he'd have a hard time beating Contador for the overall IMO. it would have been wild, though.

TRENDING THREADS