• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Where do you stand on doping....now?

As in the post

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Forgive me. I'm new to the 'Clinic', so I apologize in advance if this had been raised before.

From reading a few threads (although, not, I confess, them all) there appears to be a number of camps established here (and please correct me if I'm wrong).

1. They're all doping and pro cycling is a hopelessly tainted sport.

2. As per 1 (above) but I'll follow it anyway and support certain teams/riders in the full knowledge that they're doping.

3. Some are doping and some are not, but I'm happy to go along with the basic principle of 'innocent until proven guilty' and will support riders that haven't been 'caught'.

4. As per 3 (above) but I prefer not to take the 'official line' and will make my own mind up based on evidence such as surprising performances.

5. They're all doping apart from my favourite rider/team.

6. Pro cycling is the world leader in combating doping in sport. There is no significant doping in the peloton any more.

So....which camp?

A

Anonymous

Im confused. too many options.

Do i think the sport is clean.. No
Do i think the sport is cleaner amongst the young riders than the old.. Yes
Do i think most of the ds's want a clean sport.. No
Do i think things will change... Maybe
Do I still love the sport.. yes

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I think you left out Cycling is the cutting edge of sports doping. Most other sports most likely use Cycling's experience to help their sport along. We've seen those magical events where players return as if godly after a major injury, humm...

*they all dope one way or the other-but there are levels of doping, depending on the medical program, the DT's and Teams financial backing.
* the current peloton is cleaner than the filthy one during the Armstrong era.
* Cycling is hopeless as long as UCI remains as the sporting authority

Escarabajo said:
You are going to explain better than that, because what you said is confusing. So which one is it?

I suspect that all riders competing for gc are doping, based on the idea that I believe that doping causes such great increase in performance, that riders have to do it to compete. I will not go so far as to accuse all domestiques of doping though some obviously do.

cycladianpirate said:
Forgive me. I'm new to the 'Clinic', so I apologize in advance if this had been raised before.

So....which camp?

welcome to the forum.

The Hitch said:
Im on both 1 and 6.

They are all doping (main gc guys anyway) imo but at the same time its better at combating doping than pretty much any other sport.

you're too funny with both 1 and 6. So I'll go middle of the road... threeeeeeee or fourrrrrrrr... '3'

I have no faith in the sport, nor that doping will ever be wiped out.

I watch, when I can, with less enthusiasm than once upon a time, out of habit, and because I'm probably too weak to do otherwise. Thus one (within reason), because obviously there are exceptions to the rule.

The Hitch said:
I suspect that all riders competing for gc are doping, based on the idea that I believe that doping causes such great increase in performance, that riders have to do it to compete. I will not go so far as to accuse all domestiques of doping though some obviously do.
Ok. Thanks. Now that is clear. I always thought that you believed everyone doped, but it looks like you were always referring to the GC contenders.

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Most of them dope, a small but growing minority don't, and while the sport is cleaner than it was just a few years ago, a clean rider still can't win a GT. But while doping will always be present to some degree, I think the worst of the doping era is over, so I'm more optimistic - or maybe less cynical - about the sport than I have been for a while.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
4, absolutely

I like that. Because that way, i got Armstrong, AC, Mosquera, Astarloza, Garcia Dapena, DiLuca long before the testers did. :)

And may "The Hitch" remembers from "my Mosquera thread", i still believe PVelits is cleanish. :D

TRENDING THREADS