• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Where is Denis Menchov?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
The Chicken said:
Anyone?

Why did he abandon Romandie?
When's his next race?
Did anyone else back him to win Le Tour? :eek:

No more questions. :p

Rode well in Andalucia, and Catalunya, on par with years gone by. Anyone know anything about Paris Nice or Romandie?

He is one of those riders who rides to train, if he wins he wins, but he never seems to push for them.
Given his most recent performances I'd be suprised if he's healthy, and hence raced easy and pulled out.
It'd be nice to hear more about non english speaking cyclists, or riders on english speaking teams sometimes.

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
karlboss said:
It'd be nice to hear more about non english speaking cyclists, or riders on english speaking teams sometimes.

I've seen interviews of Menchov done in English. He speaks English just as well as any other non-native English European.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
orangerider said:
I've seen interviews of Menchov done in English. He speaks English just as well as any other non-native English European.

No doubt, but he's not from Canada, the USA, Australia or the UK and nor does he ride for any of the teams from these nations. Hence we won't read too much about him. That is what I mean by non english speaking, not the fact he can't speak english...if that makes sense.
Having said, you'd only write about him in relation to GTs and the Tour is still quite a ways off, but i would still like to know why he performed sub par paris nice and pulled out of Romandie

Zinoviev Letter said:
Seriously? Someone gave you those odds on a rider with three GTs to his name? On a parcours that suits him and with Contador out?

Really?

Not just someone, Menchovs worst odds leading up to Contadors ban were 40-1. A few bookies had 60-1, 2 had 64-1 and William hill had 66-1 which for a day or 2 before Contadors suspension curiously went up to 80-1.

The moment Contador got suspended they all went down to about 8-1.

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Benedict XVI said:

This is REALLY bad news...
Maybe it´s "this year or never", and we have eight weeks to go.

In 2006, Ullrich was like, tendinitis, then 10 days of hard training, then a mediocre Romandie, then a solid Giro, then a good/very good TdS, then, by end of June, the shape of his life, before being pulled out.

Now we´ve May for Denis... Hope he recovers quickly, has good training, to be back for Dauphine... Fingers crossed.
He´s the man to beat Wiggins.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
RHRH19861986 said:
He´s the man to beat Wiggins.

I assume you think Wiggins will finish 10th? Menchov sucks big time, is clearly on the slide and lost his charge of old . . . . . .

If he couldnt beat Wigigns and Froome in lasts years really poor Vuelta field why does anyone feel he can win TdF?

Menchov is done, look forward and embrace emerging riders

FignonLeGrand said:
I assume you think Wiggins will finish 10th? Menchov sucks big time, is clearly on the slide and lost his charge of old . . . . . .

If he couldnt beat Wigigns and Froome in lasts years really poor Vuelta field why does anyone feel he can win TdF?

Menchov lost 2 minutes early in that Vuelta and spent the rest sitting back for Cobo.

Even then he breezed it up Angliru with Froome ahead of Wiggins. And came in with them on Lagos de Somiedo.

His current problems might screw him up, but otherwise, don't be surprised if Menchov manages to hang on to accelerations to which Wiggins does not.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Menchov lost 2 minutes early in that Vuelta and spent the rest sitting back for Froome. Even then

He breezed it up Angliru with Froome ahead of Wiggins. And came in with them on Lagos de Somiedo.

His current problems might screw him up, but otherwise, don't be surprised if Menchov manages to hang on to accelerations to which Wiggins does not.

Well thats Wiggins' problem. He has never managed to stay on during a critical climb in a GT.

I might be wrong in fact experience shows thats a high probability but I just dont get the backing for Menchov he just seems to done. I tihnk he has had his day. We shall see it will be an interesting field come July :D

FignonLeGrand said:
Well thats Wiggins' problem. He has never managed to stay on during a critical climb in a GT.

I might be wrong in fact experience shows thats a high probability but I just dont get the backing for Menchov he just seems to done. I tihnk he has had his day. We shall see it will be an interesting field come July :D

I think Menchov will surprise alot of people and simply meet the expectations of what appears in this forum to be a small minority of which I'm included. I think it's simply too early to be sending him off to pasture. Hopefully he'll get his problems ironed out make his presence felt in the Tour. I'm rooting for him.

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
FignonLeGrand said:

No, I won´t... A pity Menchov couldn´t ride the Tour in 2011. In 2010, he was closest to Contador and Schleck, and this year, the TT kms suit him.
Evans has won it 34 yrs old, so Menchov still will be there. But, I agree, he has no years to lose.

RHRH19861986 said:
No, I won´t... A pity Menchov couldn´t ride the Tour in 2011. In 2010, he was closest to Contador and Schleck, and this year, the TT kms suit him.
Evans has won it 34 yrs old, so Menchov still will be there. But, I agree, he has no years to lose.

Well no, Sammy was,;) but this years route suits Menchov more than Sanchez

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
menchov will be there at the top of his fitness just like cadel.i won't be worried about both of them.i'd like to see menchov completing the palmares

jens, you say this about everybody. who will win?:)

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
FignonLeGrand said:

After Cadel in 2009 and 2010 it was easy to write him off too. Loads of people myself included were saying GT days were over, focus on 1 weeks and classics, or at the very least not the tour.
Menchov as mentioned was next best in 2010 and smoked all the contenders in the final time trial.
Cadel 2009, 2010 GTs, 29th Tour 3rd Vuelta, 5th Giro and 25th Tour,
Menchov 2010, 2011 GTs, 2/3 tour, 40 Vuelta, 7/8 Giro, 5th Vuelta.

Not too much difference one might say, why do people think he might win? Cadel did.

Menchov is overated for the TDF"I mean if we where talking about the Giro or Vuelta i would consider him to be a favourite.But no way in the TDF.The difference being the field varies from each race to the other,meaning with all the best riders available the TDF is what all the strongest riders aim for.How many times has Menchoz already ridden the Tour?and still no overall wins'Yes Cadel did win the TDF at an older age than most,but Menchov definantley is no Cadel Evans.(ex World Road Champion)and never will be'(classics winner)

blaxland said:
Menchov is overated for the TDF"I mean if we where talking about the Giro or Vuelta i would consider him to be a favourite.But no way in the TDF.The difference being the field varies from each race to the other,meaning with all the best riders available the TDF is what all the strongest riders aim for.How many times has Menchoz already ridden the Tour?and still no overall wins'Yes Cadel did win the TDF at an older age than most,but Menchov definantley is no Cadel Evans.(ex World Road Champion)and never will be'(classics winner)
Last time he rode the Tour he was officially 2nd, the guy who finished above him but who was removed from the records won't ride and the course couldn't be less suited to the guy who was officially 1st. Last week of last year's Vuelta proved Menchov can still have it, if he bothers. He's very much a top favourite until he proves otherwise.

Evans' WC and FW wins have little to do with his GT palmares, and in that regard Menchov doesn't lose to him.

TRENDING THREADS