• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Where is Denis Menchov?

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
webvan said:
Hit the wall, well in a way yes, but overall it's not too bad, certainly better than we've seen him do since the 2009 Giro, that was a brutal climb led at a very fast pace that doesn't really suit him too well.

2010 Tour????

We didn't really see that much of him on the 2010 TDF, except during the Chaingate and when Schleckett and Bertie stopped pedalling on that climb and he tried to take off with Sanchez. He never really was a factor, his end result was very flattering.

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Menchov: "The first mountain stage is always difficult, but I'm quite satisfied: my shape is ok, my legs too. In the end I preferred to drop and ride with my own pace because the uphill didn't suit to my characteristics"

Hmmm

Fetisoff said:
Menchov: "The first mountain stage is always difficult, but I'm quite satisfied: my shape is ok, my legs too. In the end I preferred to drop and ride with my own pace because the uphill didn't suit to my characteristics"

Hmmm

lol OK Denis! Looking forward to seeing what you can do on the roads which do suit your characteristics! :rolleyes:

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
that's bullshiit from denis.he cracked,he should have drop back earlier and ride at the pace

definitely,he's not out of the game.he will bounce back later

Yes, it does.
Unfortunately, after today I just don't see where he can take time on Wiggans, even in the third week.

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
You know I'm sick of the climb does not suit me excuse. I'm beginning to think there's not a single climb on the planet suited to a single professional bike rider!

Of course we can fall back on the old better over the 3 weeks run as well but it seems like 90% of riders claim that (and 85% of riders who fail in the first week aren't). So I'm not sure what that is worth.

As a Menchov I've got to say this was disappointing. Its not like he lost time to the climbers he lots time to two time trialist he would struggle to take time out of in the TTs if at all.

It's still entirely possible Wiggins will collapse late, he is unproven but cuddles on the other hand....

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Bad sight seeing Menchov fall off the back. He should've been able to power up this short climb with minimal losses - it's the longer mountains that cause his heartache. Not the end of him for sure, but it's not looking good even for podium chances.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Fetisoff said:

Hmmm

I don't believe Denis and I expected more for him. He is far from out of it and the shorter climb would have not suited him so he can and will come back. I was more dissapointed in Schleck and Sanchez though I don't think Samu has the condition this year.

auscyclefan94 said:
I don't believe Denis and I expected more for him. He is far from out of it and the shorter climb would have not suited him so he can and will come back. I was more dissapointed in Schleck and Sanchez though I don't think Samu has the condition this year.

Menchov is very good at calculating his efforts. He simply did not have it on the day and he prefers the longer climbs. VDB was the day's loser and Valverde. I am starting to think Gesink and VDB are cursed. Of course Frank takes the pressure off himself by stating before the Tour that he did not want the leadership. Monfort and Zubeldia best placed for R/Shack ........

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
that's bullshiit from denis.he cracked,he should have drop back earlier and ride at the pace

definitely,he's not out of the game.he will bounce back later

no no he didnt think the stage was long enough thats why he was seen zig zagging during the final km.

Pretty sure I saw Denis dropped again today towards the summit of that final climb :( but he managed to get back on Ev/Wig/Nib group going over the top. :) Guess it was another climb not suited to his characteristics. :rolleyes:

Hopefully he can take Nibali in the TT tomorrow but Froome seems like a real threat. :mad:

TRENDING THREADS