• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Where was my bike made?

Mar 15, 2009
www.frameforum.org
That article is based on hearsay and 'sales rep talk' and heavily biased towards the brands stocked by the chain of bike shops who publish the website. It should not be treated as a reliable source of info or reference.

frameforum said:
That article is based on hearsay and 'sales rep talk' and heavily biased towards the brands stocked by the chain of bike shops who publish the website. It should not be treated as a reliable source of info or reference.

Maybe you can give us some direct, no nonsense statements about what you know instead of making oblique or snide comments that have little information content.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Expanding the Giant vs. Colnago thread, I thought I would post this.

My frame was made in Colorado :p, but check out this article to see where a lot of the bike manufacturers make their frames. It also gives a hint about how much you are being ripped off when a company sources its frames from Asia.

http://allanti.com/page.cfm?PageID=328

Does it really matter? If the frame looks good, fits well, rides nice, is reliable, the company stands behind it's products, doesn't disappear..what difference does it make where it's made? My VW was 'assembled' in Mexico, so was my Ford Ranger..great cars but not made in Germany or the good ole USA.

'Ripped off'? Paying the designers, the marketeers, taking the time to actually go to the manufacturing site, then again to make sure everything is 'right' isn't free. It may be cheaper to manufacture in Asia rather than Europe or the US, but that doesn't make it a POS nor does it mean you are being ripped off if a European or USA company charges a wee bit more than 'no-name asian frame' you see on ebay.

'Made in Colorado(a Dean?) doesn't guarantee it's a good build. Probably is but the builder, where ever he is and the design is what counts. Nothing magical about made in Colorado, or California or Portland or Brussels or Milano or Taichung.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
as far as weight and stiffness specialized and cervelo are the best and specialized frames are asian made 10 years ago that may have been a bad thing it means nothing now. i would rather ride a tarmac sl2 than any colnago any day with colnago you pay for the name and get an old tech lugged frame for way too much money no thanks. cervelo or specialized all the way i care about rider opinions and numbers not prestige when buying a bike.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
forty four said:
as far as weight and stiffness specialized and cervelo are the best and specialized frames are asian made 10 years ago that may have been a bad thing it means nothing now. i would rather ride a tarmac sl2 than any colnago any day with colnago you pay for the name and get an old tech lugged frame for way too much money no thanks. cervelo or specialized all the way i care about rider opinions and numbers not prestige when buying a bike.

different thread, same post :rolleyes: your comments regarding the technology used in Colnago frames are way off, i'm afraid. and which riders are you referring to? peer opinion and experience is to be highly valued. trek and specialized pay through the nose for their place in the peloton. if it's the opinions of pro's and media editors bear in mind that pro's will ride what's given to them and that the media rarely bite the hand hands that feed.

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
I could care less where stuff is made as long as I'm not being lied to about it.

This thread makes me wonder though. Believe it or not, almost all replica firearms are made in Italy. I think every one of my Black Powder guns is made in Italy and I have about 10 or 12 that I bought between 15-20 years ago. A. Uberti being one of the best manufacturers. I am wondering if many of these replica gun manufacturers have outsourced to Asia now. I bet they do, but still have "Made in Italy" markings on them.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
forty four said:

I'm willing to bet that even non-Colnago fans would agree that Ernesto was in a class of his own and at the forefront of racing tech for decades no matter the material, it's just fact. Agreed that this might not be the case anymore, and they are extremely overpriced, but you get to do that when you've been building frames for over 50 years, and for more champions than any other mfg. Prestige, yeah, and you don't get that kind of prestige for building crap bikes for half a century. Anyway, last time I checked lugged carbon could take the power of Petacchi, Freire and Zabel, all of whom were on Colnagos just a couple of years ago. Could you produce their kind of power to come up with that conclusion about lugged vs. monocoque? Doubt it.

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the link BroDeal. I take your point that most stuff is made in relatively few places and then marketed in different ways.

Does anyone on the forum have any direct experience with owning expensive carbon and a cheap frame?

TRENDING THREADS