• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Whiskies of the world

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
screaming fist said:
If you're talking about the Lagavulin 12yo CS pictured: do you drink it pure at cask strength or do you add water?
we spent a christmas on Islay, thinking we'd visit distilleries and the like. they were closed, of course, and the weather was wicked! luckily, the place we stayed had a lovely peat fire to dry ourselves throughout the day and night and hundreds of whiskies on the menu -- we did are best to go through as many as we could :p

pretty much with all the whiskies they served, they would include a small pitcher of water with instructions of how much to add. some, you sprinkled only a few drops in, others needed a slightly more generous pour.

it really did make a difference.

i don't do it anymore at home unless it is a really special bottle -- makes me feel like too much of a ponce.

anyways, add me to the Islay camp: Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Ardbeg, the peatier the better!

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
screaming fist said:
If you're talking about the Lagavulin 12yo CS pictured: do you drink it pure at cask strength or do you add water?

I used to drink all of my scotches straight, but, like thirteen, I am now using some water because it really does bring out the taste. However, other than knowing to add a small amount, I do not know what a small amount means and I didn't know that the amount added depends on the scotch. More research required obviously!

ANCrider

BANNED
Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Not a fan of cask strength myself, but like many here am a big fan of the Islay malts, especially the rarer Ardbegs, Bowmore, and of course Lagavulin (won't touch Laphroig though).

There are some really nice experiments with sherry casks going on. Try Auchentoshen Three Wood, and Bowmore 'Darkest'.

TRENDING THREADS