• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Whispers

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Nope it's still on. Not sure in what capacity but before Christmas. I guess in 72 hours we'll know. There's two competing articles. No one is going to let the holiday sales get hit.
It has been pushed back a week......

Roland Rat said:
Exactly the same as the first WSJ article. It gets leaked, we get excited, Armstrong's lawyers get on the case, it gets delayed and watered down.
......no, thankfully all is good.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
I am hearing some chatter about it's content - nothing (for the good residents of the clinic) that would be a surprise to us.

But whats more significant is that this is a complete 180 from a huge publication. They have helped over the years build the myth with many articles and featuring LA on the cover. But now they are not merely questioning LA's history, they are exposing it.

Ahh, a complete 180.

But isn't a 180 half way to a 360? Yes it is I believe.
Please expect the publication to come back to its senses someday.

Unless it is the L'Equipe you are hinting about.
What, are they going to go back and start hating on Lance all over again?
Doubt that.

Lance's LONG TERM CYCLING LEGACY is set. Just be patient.
Eddy will never turn on Lance. That is the benchmark.
The other greats know it as well of course. The nubes, the 1999&Later crowd, do not matter in the long run. Mostly clueless.

Barrus will be mumbling boasting to his grand kids about seeing Lance in person. The grandkids will slowly back out of the room lol.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
OK, everyone seems to be referring to this article like they know what's going to be in it; but does anyone really know? If so, why not speak up? Why dance around it? At the very least, indicate the nature of the article and its general thrust.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Nope it's still on. Not sure in what capacity but before Christmas. I guess in 72 hours we'll know. There's two competing articles. No one is going to let the holiday sales get hit.

So Sports Illustrated wants to get on the lets kill cycling hate train. It figures, they helped build up LeMond and American cycling. Continue with VIP Mr. Lance Armstrong. Now they can tear apart cycling because it barely competes with the second rate sports in the USA. Just to sell paper, as they do not know squat about cycling.

Kind of figures as the giant pickups pulling speedboats in Marin and Sonoma counties are swerving their behemoth speedboats across my line.

Chapaue SI and cyclingnews haters. Take a bike ride around the US.(If you can find your bikes)

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure bikes will still cycle across cobbles in March and April, around Italy in May, Central Europe in June, France in July and so on without Armstrong having a "clean" reputation. Regardless what you say, cycling will keep going as we will want to keep pushing ourselves and spin the legs.

Since when was any sports existence dictated by the pro ranks? All that matters is that I'll still feel the wind and the burn in my legs whether Armstrong is found out or not. This is just a soap opera that occupies my mind sometimes when I have nothing else to think about.

Repressed Man Love

offbyone said:
if you keep creating new threads about it every day with the same old facts then it might appear so, but I don't see this investigation going anywhere soon.

Even if lance, among all the other cyclists involved, gets nailed, it will probably be years away until he is convicted. I couldn't even see a trial happening for at least another 6 months. People that hold onto this belief that this issue is going to immediately move from scandal to conviction are living in fantasy land. You can enjoy your pipe dream or you can put it aside and enjoy the rest of the racing season.

Thanks for a brief moment of sanity in this testosterone-infused festival of thwarted and repressed man-love.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
So Sports Illustrated wants to get on the lets kill cycling hate train. It figures, they helped build up LeMond and American cycling. Continue with VIP Mr. Lance Armstrong. Now they can tear apart cycling because it barely competes with the second rate sports in the USA. Just to sell paper, as they do not know squat about cycling.
Kind of figures as the giant pickups pulling speedboats in Marin and Sonoma counties are swerving their behemoth speedboats across my line.

Chapaue SI and cyclingnews haters. Take a bike ride around the US.(If you can find your bikes)

Lack of knowledge about cycling isn't an exclusive franchise of SI but it is a hallmark of their level of coverage. They are in it to sell ad space and maybe talk about sports, in that order.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
D-Queued said:
Nah.

Don't take this personally, but more like the 'let's kill foolish drivel from flicker and fellow fanboys and girls who worship false idols hate train'.

Dave.

I actually think Novitsky will knock some sense into the hammerheads. By that I speak of American juniors, masters cat 3 trying to move up to cat3 weenies in the USA. That is about as much good for cycling as I can see coming if Armstrong is crucified.
The haters here most I have no idea of their nationality, cycling experience or how long they have watched the sport.
The best articles I have seen out of the investigation I have seen in Outside magazine and Mens Journal.
If SI teaches me something I do not know, I am all for it. As much toxin as their pages carry they might know something about cheating doping in sports jockular activity,sexisim etc. well they have a pretty good chance at slamming cycling. Believe you me SI does not carry cycling as their flagship they have had their fifteen minutes of fame with USA cycling and if they can sell a few hundred thousand copies extra (which they won't) making American sponsorship of cycling look stupid they might even cover the Vuelta or the Gent Wevelgemen, hah.
Scandal and sex sell and they will sell whatever sells they are SI. If that excites the haters here well congratulations!
For me I will buy it just to find out when Tony Romo is going to marry Justin Timberlake or whomever she he marry, or how Brett Farve lost his consecutive streak of games or what exotic local the swimsuit models will visit.

Excuse me now as I have to go bang on some pots and pans and scare off the beasts that cover the moon......

Sports Illustrated covers a few main sports and covers them well. Cycling ain't one of them, but that's to be expected of a North American publication. So don't expect the level and quality of coverage to change all of a sudden just because it's about Armstrong unless it's a big scandal.

It's not only about covering stories that will increase their circulation just for the hell of it-they do some pretty good pieces on the sports Americans care about and do it with integrity. For what they do, there is no better magazine out there.

Just because they don't dedicate 5 pages to every Belgian mid-week semi-Classic doesn't mean they're into sensationalist, tabloid journalism. Far from it.

Some of the best articles they've ever printed about cycling were when they covered the 1989 and 1990 Tours. Not a surprise as international cycling's golden boy Greg Lemond just so happened to be American.

And Rolling Stone wrote a pretty damn good piece on the Tour back in 1986 or so. Yes, the focus was on Greg Lemond but the article was well-written and exhibited a great amount of respect for the sport.

It is a big change from how SI has undertaken cycling coverage in recent years. Fawning fanboy drivel from writers like Rick Reilly comes to mind. And that's if they write about cycling at all.

So expect them to write something about this latest scandal, because Armstrong is a transcendent sports hero who is known world wide and just so happens to be from the United States. It's not exclusively about selling magazines and raking in advertising dollars-it's also about reporting a relevant sports story.

flicker said:
So Sports Illustrated wants to get on the lets kill cycling hate train.
I don't know about SI, but for most of us it's not about killing cycling. It's about saving it by removing a tumour the only possible way, via painful, traumatic and dangerous in the short term, but ultimately unavoidable, surgery.

hrotha said:
I don't know about SI, but for most of us it's not about killing cycling. It's about saving it by removing a tumour the only possible way, via painful, traumatic and dangerous in the short term, but ultimately unavoidable, surgery.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story. SI hates cycling and is trying to destroy it..... or maybe they're just reporting it?

Good?:

1216_large.jpg

Good?:

0804_large.jpg

Good?:

0806_large.jpg

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
L’equipe is tabloid. SI is sensationalist. WSJ lacks journalistic integrity. Farking troll London Sunday Times.

What press is actually good? The Livestrong Blog?

or maybe a WikiLeaks non-profit style blog which CSE/Armstrong tried to shut down? - http://bikezilla.wordpress.com/2010/07/16/lance-armstrong-hes-earned-more-than-bad-press/

Please just refer to them all as “Fish Wrap”. Also when speaking about the writers or media members,,,,use the term “Fish Hack”. That way you do not have to separate the different outlets of information, just lump them all together. :D

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
flicker said:
That is about as much good for cycling as I can see coming if Armstrong is crucified.

Boo hoo boo hoo, "Texas bunny pants" lied, cheated, got even more arrogant and thought his uber hubris would never lead to his downfall because of 'all the good he has done.' ("Raising cancer awareness", nothing like having an oversold 'non goal')

I was a cycling fan, riding my bicycle and dealing with cancer long before "Oedipus the cyclist" came on the scene, and will be a cycling fan, cyclist, and dealing with cancer long after he is relegated to the "where are the now?" segments of "ESPN @ 40" holograph-casts of 2019.

"About #@!$ing time", is all I can say.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
http://ca.reuters.com/article/sportsNews/idCATRE6BK08N20101221

This is what I am talking about, a sober article explaining the state of professional cycling.
Things need to be handled with kid gloves.

What the haters here, for instance the hog, dQ etc. is tar and feather Armstrong, douse him with gasoline put him in a monster truck tyre, set him ablaze and role him down the street run behind him yelling cheater, cheater, liar liar pants a fire. Just take a moment and think about that vivid graphic.

Is that how we want to show our children how to act? Yes, maybe it will give some satisfaction. That is not how I want to show myself to my kids or family, as a holigen.

What people show when they scream from the minnaret is that cycling is a cheating, lying decietful fraud. Is that what we want to show the sponsors who give us a pulpit to evangelize our true thoughts on the sport.

Or maybe we could put it all on a 120 meter board track on a sweaty back alley in Bangkock and bet on it like the Russian Roulette scene played by Chris Walken in the Deer Hunter.

Seriously, I get emotional because I see 4 major pro sponsors from my own country, right now with another, United Health care putting in a serious bid to be a 5th player in Europe. Is that the goose you want to kill?

flicker said:
http://ca.reuters.com/article/sportsNews/idCATRE6BK08N20101221

This is what I am talking about, a sober article explaining the state of professional cycling.
Things need to be handled with kid gloves.

What the haters here, for instance the hog, dQ etc. is tar and feather Armstrong, douse him with gasoline put him in a monster truck tyre, set him ablaze and role him down the street run behind him yelling cheater, cheater, liar liar pants a fire. Just take a moment and think about that vivid graphic.

Is that how we want to show our children how to act? Yes, maybe it will give some satisfaction. That is not how I want to show myself to my kids or family, as a holigen.

What people show when they scream from the minnaret is that cycling is a cheating, lying decietful fraud. Is that what we want to show the sponsors who give us a pulpit to evangelize our true thoughts on the sport.

Or maybe we could put it all on a 120 meter board track on a sweaty back alley in Bangkock and bet on it like the Russian Roulette scene played by Chris Walken in the Deer Hunter.

Seriously, I get emotional because I see 4 major pro sponsors from my own country, right now with another, United Health care putting in a serious bid to be a 5th player in Europe. Is that the goose you want to kill?

No, but getting rid of the cancer would be a good start to a healthy sport.

The "do you want to kill cycling?" is a strawman that is consistently used by the doping mafia. The problem has never been taken seriously and I would suggest that cycling is on the brink because of this - despite the number of sponsors from your country.

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
flicker said:
Man, I never thought anything could top my "being stuck on a desert island with Evangeline Lilly, Gwyneth Paltrow, Cameron Diaz, Sheryl Crow, Penelope Cruz, Selma Hayek, Stana Katic and Julia Roberts" daydream, but the one you describe in your original quote comes very close.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Berzin said:
Ah, Flicker...who asks the question "why merely obfuscate when you can bloviate as well?"

which sport 2 wheel sport have you been following and for how long?have you been following it for long? since when? are you or have you ever vbeen and ARMSTRONG FAN BOY.?

If your answer is cycling since 1985, you were a big GREG fan-boy and then became a big LANCE fan-boy in 1999 and with GREGS' revelations in 2001 and then LANCE to LANDIS your hate for Lord ARMSTRONG had grown and grown and now it will ejaculate with the SI article......I can only say.....

I put 2+2 together back in the 70s, a rough dirty sport it is. I enjoy the spectacle an exotic land Europe good food beautiful podium girls haute culture. Enjoy the spectacle. Its free did you notice?

TRENDING THREADS