• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who are future GT winners?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Will any of these guys get a GT win?

• Jurgen Van Den Broeck

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
PCutter said:
Aldo Sassi (in the interview linked on another thread today), when asked who he saw as a possible GT winner of the emerging talents in cycling nominated Richie Porte without hesitation. He added Ricco's name, "if he does the right thing".

Though I presume he didn't consider AS, Cadel, SS, Basso, Nibali as 'emerging' talents

Richie Porte gt winner. Dont count on it. There are just too many people his generation who are contenders - Schleck, Nibali, Gesink - thats just his age. THen you have the people slightly older - Contador, Anton. the future stars -Henao TJVG. + other emerging talents. All of them

Even if he were to improve all of these guys are a class above him on the climbs. There are too many better climbers and too few gts. Sorry.

The Hitch said:
Richie Porte gt winner. Dont count on it. There are just too many people his generation who are contenders - Schleck, Nibali, Gesink - thats just his age. THen you have the people slightly older - Contador, Anton. the future stars -Henao TJVG. + other emerging talents. All of them

Even if he were to improve all of these guys are a class above him on the climbs. There are too many better climbers and too few gts. Sorry.

I'll trust Sassi on this one. Sorry.

theyoungest said:
Question by Australian journo: "Who is an emerging upcoming talent in the Grand Tours that you see?"

Answer: "Richie Porte."

Seems more like he knows what the journalist would like to hear.

Is that the best you can come up with?

Porte was tested in the Mapei lab so Sassi would generally have a good idea what he is capable of.

roundabout said:
Yeah right, he was worse on most of the climbs than younger age guys like Mollema and Kruijswijck, and I don't see them (no not even TGBM) as GC contender for the future. But ok.

Btw, if you believe guys like Sassi etc... they only tell you what you want to hear. If I believed guys like that we would have had 5 GT winners by now in the past 10 years in the Netherlands

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Yeah right, he was worse on most of the climbs than younger age guys like Mollema and Kruijswijck, and I don't see them (no not even TGBM) as GC contender for the future. But ok.

Btw, if you believe guys like Sassi etc... they only tell you what you want to hear. If I believed guys like that we would have had 5 GT winners by now in the past 10 years in the Netherlands

I wouldn't lose any sleep if 7th in the Giro is as good as it's ever going to get for Porte. I do however think that since Porte was tested by Mapei that Sassi can have a reasonably accurate idea of his potential

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
I don't think he has been mentioned but Tejay Van Garderen will be a future GT contender, but probably not a winner (in the same way Levi and Mick Rogers could have won, but didn't/won't win a GT)

roundabout said:

Is Richie Porte your cousin or something, that you react with such venom to a attempt at a debate.

All l i said was that people who have shown something at gts have a better chance than him and there are only 3 gts a year. ANd he is never going to compete with Schleck and Conti at the Tour so that leaves just 2 gts.

I named the following riders

Schleck - 2 TDF podiums. A giro podium. TDF stage wins.
Nibali - 1 Vuelta a Espana victory. Giro podium. WOn the Monte Grappa stage. Up there in the mountains. (Crushed Porte in the mountains)
Gesink - GP Montreal. 6th in tour de france. Queen stage of Tour de Suisse. Up there in mountain stages.
Anton - Owned the hills at this years Vuelta untill crash
TJVG - OK Porte is better than him. ATM
Henao - Winner of the Vuelta COlombia, 2 years Portes junior.
Contador - 3 Tour de France victories. Several Tour de France stages. 1 Vuelta a Espana. 1 Giro d Italia. Several Stage races.
Compared to

Porte - wore pink jesey for 2 days in the second week. Finished 8th. Won a tt at Romandie. Not up there in mountain stages.

That there is just a short list of people 2 or 3 years either way to Porte. The likes of Samu and Valverde and Menchov dont look like leaving any time soon and they own Porte in the mountains too.

Ive heard people like David Millar be touted as Gt prospects when they were in similar situtations to what Porte is in now. A tt win a day or 2 in a leaders jersey. Would you have told me then that the "cycling experts" touting him as a future tdf winner must be right because they are "experts"

Maybe this time you can respond by giving a real argument. Go on dont be scared ;) Maybe you think Porte will improve hugely while his contemporaries stay the same. Maybe you think the people on my list arent actually better than Porte. Maybe you think there will be gts without any of the people who are better than Porte.

Or alternatively just try to dish out another put down. Why not. :rolleyes: If a poster pointing out that others beat Porte in the mountains is so painful to read, what better way to release that frustration.

roundabout said:
Is that the best you can come up with?

Porte was tested in the Mapei lab so Sassi would generally have a good idea what he is capable of.
There's a different between "talent" and "future GT winner". That's all I'm trying to say. But who knows, if Peter Velits can get so close to winning a GT, why not Porte. I just don't see it happening (and FYI, like Dekker T, I don't see Mollema or Kruijswijk winning any GTs either).

The Hitch said:
Is Richie Porte your cousin or something, that you react with such venom to a attempt at a debate.

All l i said was that people who have shown something at gts have a better chance than him and there are only 3 gts a year. ANd he is never going to compete with Schleck and Conti at the Tour so that leaves just 2 gts.

I named the following riders

Schleck - 2 TDF podiums. A giro podium. TDF stage wins.
Nibali - 1 Vuelta a Espana victory. Giro podium. WOn the Monte Grappa stage. Up there in the mountains. (Crushed Porte in the mountains)
Gesink - GP Montreal. 6th in tour de france. Queen stage of Tour de Suisse. Up there in mountain stages.
Anton - Owned the hills at this years Vuelta untill crash
TJVG - OK Porte is better than him. ATM
Henao - Winner of the Vuelta COlombia, 2 years Portes junior.
Contador - 3 Tour de France victories. Several Tour de France stages. 1 Vuelta a Espana. 1 Giro d Italia. Several Stage races.
Compared to

Porte - wore pink jesey for 2 days in the second week. Finished 8th. Won a tt at Romandie. Not up there in mountain stages.

That there is just a short list of people 2 or 3 years either way to Porte. The likes of Samu and Valverde and Menchov dont look like leaving any time soon and they own Porte in the mountains too.

Ive heard people like David Millar be touted as Gt prospects when they were in similar situtations to what Porte is in now. A tt win a day or 2 in a leaders jersey. Would you have told me then that the "cycling experts" touting him as a future tdf winner must be right because they are "experts"

Maybe this time you can respond by giving a real argument. Go on dont be scared ;) Maybe you think Porte will improve hugely while his contemporaries stay the same. Maybe you think the people on my list arent actually better than Porte. Maybe you think there will be gts without any of the people who are better than Porte.

Or alternatively just try to dish out another put down. Why not. :rolleyes: If a poster pointing out that others beat Porte in the mountains is so painful to read, what better way to release that frustration.

And Sassi is his uncle?

Or alternatively he's the general manager of the lab that tested Porte.

You're he 3rd person on this thread that needs to have it explained.

According to lab tests, Remmert Wielinga was the best rider ever at both Rabobank and Quick Step, and according to the data he had the body of a TDF winner and definately the potential
So, tell me why Wielinga hasn't a Tour and never come further than a Mallorca stage and the awesome GP Chiasso.

Lab tests say jack ****.

theyoungest said:
There's a different between "talent" and "future GT winner". That's all I'm trying to say. But who knows, if Peter Velits can get so close to winning a GT, why not Porte. I just don't see it happening (and FYI, like Dekker T, I don't see Mollema or Kruijswijk winning any GTs either).

comparing peter velits with richie porte makes no sense. velits has a third place at the vuelta being younger then porte.

sorry but i just don't see porte doing it either.i can name you 2 guys that even tho i hoped they could(like you do with porte) will never win a grand tour: tiago machado and rui costa. mostly the second. tiago machado is yet to ride one and he much like gesinks knows how to suffer on a bike and hold his place n the montains.

Parrulo said:
comparing peter velits with richie porte makes no sense. velits has a third place at the vuelta being younger then porte.

sorry but i just don't see porte doing it either.i can name you 2 guys that even tho i hoped they could(like you do with porte) will never win a grand tour: tiago machado and rui costa. mostly the second. tiago machado is yet to ride one and he much like gesinks knows how to suffer on a bike and hold his place n the montains.
I wasn't comparing them as riders. I was just talking about someone who suddenly does surprisingly well in a GT. Something like that could also happen to Porte. BTW, Porte is just one month older than Velits.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
According to lab tests, Remmert Wielinga was the best rider ever at both Rabobank and Quick Step, and according to the data he had the body of a TDF winner and definately the potential
So, tell me why Wielinga hasn't a Tour and never come further than a Mallorca stage and the awesome GP Chiasso.

Lab tests say jack ****.

Fine by me.

theyoungest said:
I wasn't comparing them as riders. I was just talking about someone who suddenly does surprisingly well in a GT. Something like that could also happen to Porte. BTW, Porte is just one month older than Velits.

older nonetheless(hint: thought velites was at least 1 year younger)

anyway porte doing surpisingly well in a GT already happened. and he NEVER showeed any sort of montain potential. i mean he is good just not GT material.

Parrulo said:

anyway porte doing surpisingly well in a GT already happened. and he NEVER showeed any sort of montain potential. i mean he is good just not GT material.

What. No you dont understand. This Sassi guy said so. Sassi
As Roundabout so nicely pointed out, we, we are just a bunch of idiots on a forum. What do we know. What do previous results have to do with it. Sassi is the expert. Therefore he must be right and we must be wrong. :rolleyes:

Parrulo said:

No, he didn't do surprisingly well, he just got suprisingly lucky ;)

Oh, and Sassi is a much respected coach... but I think he also believes Michael Rogers is capable of winning GTs.

The Hitch said:
What. No you dont understand. This Sassi guy said so. Sassi
As Roundabout so nicely pointed out, we, we are just a bunch of idiots on a forum. What do we know. What do previous results have to do with it. Sassi is the expert. Therefore he must be right and we must be wrong. :rolleyes:

Wtf? Seriously, don't try to misquote me, it's not nice. Just because i'm not dismissing Sassi's opinion as readily as you do doesn't make you, me or anyone else here an idiot.

Apologies for any perceived insults. Peace?

roundabout said:
Wtf? Seriously, don't try to misquote me, it's not nice. Just because i'm not dismissing Sassi's opinion as readily as you do doesn't make you, me or anyone else here an idiot.

Apologies for any perceived insults. Peace?

Relax. Were just breaking balls here. I did percieve one of your posts as an insult and so this was my responce, a bit of sarcasm. Nothing more.

I find it strange everybody ignores Nibali & keep touting Kreuziger...the fact is that Vincenzo is already a GT winner and that victory is a catalyst for further development & ambition -- Andy Schleck to me is still a project, since he hasn't won a GT yet- even with his enormous talent, I see him wasting his career trying to beat Contador, when he can easily win the Giro or the Vuelta if he widens his horizon
I hope Igor Anton gets that level to shine in the coming GTs- Porte is a great prospect to the future, as well as Rigoberto Uran--and we cannot deny Ricco even if we can't tolerate his presence....

TRENDING THREADS