• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who are future GT winners?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Will any of these guys get a GT win?

• Jurgen Van Den Broeck

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Sanchez will win the Vuelta 2011 if Contador is absent... It might be a tough battle with the likes of Rodriguez, Evans and the 3rd coming of Anton, but I think he can do it.

Gesink will be there ;)

But Rodriguez had his chance, This years final ITT really showed it's not going to happen for him.
Next years Vuelta already seems interesting, Sanchez ahead of Gesink and Anton for me :D

ak-zaaf said:
Gesink will be there ;)

But Rodriguez had his chance, This years final ITT really showed it's not going to happen for him.
Next years Vuelta already seems interesting, Sanchez ahead of Gesink and Anton for me :D

Let's just hope Gesink doesn't kill himself in the Tour then.

Rodriguez could win a GT if there were no ITTs.

staubsauger said:
well in the vuelta editions 08 and 09 rodrieguez passed tiralongo/gesink because of his good tt, so don't say he's a bad one. if he's good he could tt much better than anton or even a man like basso.

Not long flat TTs.

The 08 TT was up the Navacerrada.

A 40km flat TT he would lose a minimum of 2 minutes to someone like Sanchez. Sanchez is just a good a climber if not better.

Since when has beating Tiralongo in a TT been an indication of how someone could win a GT?:confused:

In 2009 Gesink beat Rodriguez by 16 seconds in the final tt even though he had suffered bad injuries from an earlier fall. In the earlier tt Gesink put 1.33 on him.

If Rodriguez can find a GT where there is no long flat tt then he could get a win especially if there are time bonuses for stage wins and quite a few stages where there is a short steep climb at the end. Otherwise i dont see it.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Frosty said:
Since when has beating Tiralongo in a TT been an indication of how someone could win a GT?:confused:

In 2009 Gesink beat Rodriguez by 16 seconds in the final tt even though he had suffered bad injuries from an earlier fall. In the earlier tt Gesink put 1.33 on him.

If Rodriguez can find a GT where there is no long flat tt then he could get a win especially if there are time bonuses for stage wins and quite a few stages where there is a short steep climb at the end. Otherwise i dont see it.

Katusha should do what Buyneel did with the TDF in 2009. Pay the organisation for a tailor-made course.
No flat ITT, at least 3 short steep MTF's....

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
Gesink will be there ;)

Gesink is superb in the shadows, give him a leaders jersey and he always messes up, someway, somehow. He can't avoid crashes (Vuelta), he suddenly can't go downhill anymore (Paris-Nice) or he starts sucking hard at timetrial (Tour de Suisse). He needs to learn how to deal with pressure.

Voted Andy, Gesink, Sanchez, Anton.

Anton and Sanchez should win a Vuelta or two. Gesink is good enough to win something although might he have to concentrate on the tour rather than go all out for one of the others?

Cant help but think that Evans has missed his chance now. Does anyone know what he will go for next year as im assuming BMC will want him to focus on the tour.

Not sure that Ricco has the quality or not but he seems to be in a spot of bother at the moment. Rodriguez loses too much in the tt. Kreuziger looked promising a few years ago but hasnt really progressed. Frank isnt quite good enough and i think vdb isnt either.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
he just stated his intention to win the tour. he believes he can get the yellow, and with bmc behind him he can defend it unti the end.

I believe he is delusional. Depending on the course of course... But I highly doubt he will ever win the tour, he missed his best chances.

TRENDING THREADS