• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who are the best/worst bike handlers in the peloton?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Winterfold said:
This is one of the best saves I've seen - excellent drop technique and then the skid looks like he is giving it some whip :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXEFbquqsFo

This is a good example of a good bike handler making a mistake, tackling the corner too fast, but using his skills to save himself.

There are the skills of descending with the bike handling but also the mental judgement of how much to push, how fast to go around corners. A rider can have good skills but if they over estimate how fast they can tackle corners they might crash a lot more than a rider who has worse skills but rides to those skills.
Sprinters are probably amongst the best bike handlers but we do not get to see them descend as often. One I do remember is Thor Hushovd descending by himself in the rain on a tour de france stage which was pretty impressive. Not sure which year even.
Riding on cobbles is a skill in itself.

I agree with the Sagan and Nibali, the whole Liquigas team (minus Basso) seemed to be quite good. Perhaps having Nibali on the team helped them all, especially if he pushed the on training rides.

42x16ss said:
As far as worst bike handler goes I used to say if you were dressed in orange and not named Sanchez then you were in the running for that title. Then Rabobank pulled its sponsorship...

I'm shocked!!! Lars Boom flew the orange. You can't be a bad handler and world-class 'crosser. "best" is kind of tough to define, but I'd put Boom in there. Lots of other good choices mentioned.

Worst goes to the Schlecks.

DirtyWorks said:
I'm shocked!!! Lars Boom flew the orange. You can't be a bad handler and world-class 'crosser. "best" is kind of tough to define, but I'd put Boom in there. Lots of other good choices mentioned.

Worst goes to the Schlecks.
You got me there :D Boom is pretty good!

Let's be honest though, Rabo and Euskaltel could provide a feature length gag reel with their exploits over the years...

winkybiker said:
Robbie McEwen was one of the best ever. I think Sagan probably holds the current title. Fearless. With the skill to go with it. He'll win Milan San Remo this year.
Sagan definitely has the "Best Wheelier" title sewn up!

sagan-wheelie-angliru.png

bettiniphoto_0115675_1_full_600.jpg

tumblr_mh4p6hyzCn1rbdbmpo1_1280.jpg

23745_10151396640844467_1005258607_n.jpg

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Been looking for this one for some time, photo credits go to Purito, Oscar Periero doing the stunt, another from 2009 while training at Liege:

2420087181_small_1.jpg

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Mad Elephant Man said:
I am sure a lot DS's would be horrified to see there riders doing stunts like those, imagine if a rider crashed doing something like that.

he wouldn't crash too badly in that position

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Sagan is good at BMX style tricks yes but I reckon Thor Hushovd on fast descents beats that. Cancellara clearly also top notch when its fast.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Mad Elephant Man said:
I am sure a lot DS's would be horrified to see there riders doing stunts like those, imagine if a rider crashed doing something like that.

Well how about this more current rider, what would his DS say?

kenny.bmp

Even off the bike they seem to be doing a lot of nonsense :D

318333_10151146935808744_578515310_n.jpg

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
William H said:
I nominate Cavendish in both categories.

That's accurate. At HTC he used to get bagged by team mates (behind is back) for being a crap bike handler, but then he shows flashes of brilliance in sprints.

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
trevim said:
He looked very good in his stage win at the Tour in all those rainy descents. And he has featured in Roubaix and Flanders so he can't be that bad.
rainy descent in a small group. look at how many crashes he has had. one good result, 2nd in flanders. oh, and nothing in any big race since 2009.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
always there said:
heinrich haussler is a very **** handler. thats why he crashes so often.

haussler is great bike handler. ogrady crashes all the time as well and he's also a great bike handler and downhiller :rolleyes:

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
No one here has mentioned Marianne Vos yet. She is one of the best bike handlers I've ever seen, from either gender. Fantastic descender, and the way she handles her cross bike, it's out of this world.

TRENDING THREADS