• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who do you trust? LA & JB versus AC & Spanish media AKA Wheel Gate

A

Anonymous

All the opinions can now apparently be settled with facts and documentation about the purchase of Time Trial wheels. The closest thing I've seen to a negative statement by Contador in months was that during the Tour he found out he wasn't getting the team's best wheels, so he had to buy his own.

Bruyneel just answered reader's questions for ElMundo, and the first question he addressed was the TT wheels. He said he had no idea where Alberto got that from, as all the riders, especially the leaders, had the same materials.

Part of Lance's interview is now out on Nieuwsblad, and he also addresses the wheel situation (via Google Translate).

http://www.nieuwsblad.be/sportwereld/article/detail.aspx?articleid=G8O2KA8D4

“If you just the second time the Tour have won and you are the king of Spain, it is normal that all stories are all right. His career has barely begun. Let us talk again about fifteen years. When I subsequently the Spanish media during the Tour had to face, I fell from one surprise to another. We talked little about the atmosphere in the team, but they apparently do. If you read some Spanish sports daily Marca newspaper as distributed: so many dirty things, unbelievable. Complete bull****, pieces of mucus, fat lies. They said we were behind him during the Tour. Yeah. Recently he declared that he had no time trial wheels like me during the tour. Yeah. (Evil) First, this is not true. Secondly, it is easy to prove. You only have to grab the phone and calling into bicycle manufacturer Trek. I understand that the Spanish media after their heroic stand, but it was so untrue what was printed. Come on, at the end of the day as a journalist, you ****ing do proclaim the truth. ’ "

Alberto hasn't accused anyone of lying, but he's definitely now been accused. It's not coincidence that Bruyneel answered the question first, saying Contador had the story all wrong. I think our lives can be simplified. If Alberto did buy the tires, then Armstrong and Bruyneel are both liars who went out of their way to make someone else look bad, again. If they could do that, then every word they've said for the past six months can be questioned or doubted. If Contador made the story up, without actually attacking anyone while doing it, then he's a liar and we can question other things he's said.

Personally, as a former Armstrong fan who switched back to Contador, I believe things I've seen, and the words of people outside Astana. Like Gutierrez telling the story of how he tried to hand his friend Alberto a water bottle on the climb because he didn't have one, but Armstrong rode up and grabbed it first. I've seen a brilliant Graham Watson photo of that exact instant, so I don't believe the Spanish press made it up. But for other things, I'm willing to let it come down to who bought the wheel.

Here's Johan's version

http://www.elmundo.es/encuentros/invitados/2009/12/3976/

And in case anyone's curious, I'm just an unemployed fat guy living in Southern Illinois. I love pro cycling, primarily the stage races and grand tours, but hate doping, lies and media spin. I used to write a very positive blog about Armstrong under the title blogging Lance, and interacted with a lot of cycling fans using my old @BloggingLance twitter account.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
I find it hard to believe berto wouldn't have access to team and sponsor materials. I could believe the taxi-gate @ hotel more readily.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
scribe said:
I find it hard to believe berto wouldn't have access to team and sponsor materials. I could believe the taxi-gate @ hotel more readily.

He didn't have access to a working radio during the Annecy TT so the wheel story is not that hard to believe.

The strangest part of this story is The Hog and Lance have gone completely off script. Most who have spent time around these guys know they are petulant children but now the world does.

Higgs has got to get his boy under control.

I don't see how er can give credence to anything that Armstrong or Bruyneel says. Lying is second nature to these guys. They are also well known for denying equipment to team members. FLandis never had a time trial bike to practice with when he was on Bruyneel's team.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I don't see how er can give credence to anything that Armstrong or Bruyneel says. Lying is second nature to these guys. They are also well known for denying equipment to team members. FLandis never had a time trial bike to practice with when he was on Bruyneel's team.

That is because Julien sells so much of it out of the back of the Service Course in Brakel. One of the perks of being the team diabetic is you get lifetime employment, a Mercedes, and all the gear you can sell as long as you testify correctly.

A

Anonymous

Part of the Telegraaf version is now posted. Armstrong blames Contador for losing his whole Tour de France team to Radio Shack, saying he never would have let it happen. He doesn't mention that Contador wanted to leave himself and had no power to offer anyone anything, or that Bruyneel was busy getting the guys he wanted out of their contracts. I'm so sick to my stomach right now.

http://www.telegraaf.nl/telesport/wielersport/5678464/__Armstrong_heeft_niets_met_Contador__.html

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Just read the Dutch article. What a condensing messianic arse.

Apparently Contador still has a lot to learn, getting just started and stuff. Stop living in his pueblo, with the folk and family he grew up with, and get serious about cycling, get people who know what they are doing, and behave like a champ.

"If I was Contador and everyone left me alone on my team, I would look in the mirror and think hard what I had done wrong. As opposed to the generous me who is so popular that I'm ever so confident that everyone who rode for me ever will still be singing my praises loyally when I die. The great I, who also could have saved Kazakhstan from their Borat image, if only they would have taken up the opportunity that I offered them to tell the American public what a great place it really is. America listens to me, you know."

I think someone should tell armstrong to stop, to be frank, and take the shreds that are left, before it is all washed aay by the comeback legacy. And since Contador is surrounded by yeah-sayers, but Armstrong takes it like a man by people whio stand up to him, I am sure he is encouraged to realize that he's past it....

Is this a very early april joke interview?

Can't even address Contador by name it seems. Sad sad man. I'm glad people are waking up to the man behind the mask. Armstrong the myth, dismantled by a deluded Armstrong himself, and no-one else. Sweet justice.

7 more fucking months of this nonsense. They really can't end up low enough on during the Tour for my liking now. And I would love if the better than Armstrong Shack riders have to ride for the guy until it becomes clear to everyone what a waste of their talents this will become. I'm now hoping for extreme humiliation. On the road. Off the road.

But what I'll be getting, the moment he drops through the floor, is twitters how Armstrong is really selflessly sacrificing himself for the team, despite his real chances to take #8. And then to Contador, you know, like YOU should learn to do, so you can become as awesome as me-me-me-me-me.

Hope Contador keeps the cool and grace he has been keeping, despite this badgering from the sidelines. Somehow I think he will. Seems actually genuine, which is a welcome change. I know which multiple tour champ I admire more right now.

A

Anonymous

They just revised the Telegraaf posting and deleted the paragraph I'd quoted above. Both places said they'd print exclusive interviews on Wednesday and Thursday. I don't know if they're sister publications or what. If the Spanish media was lying, I guess those two great Cycle Sport articles at Cycling Weekly also include lies, but he wouldn't say that because they speak English.

Oops - they've added it back in another block.
http://www.telegraaf.nl/telesport/w...ntador_moet_in_de_spiegel_kijken__.html?p=1,1

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I thought that was the oddest bit actually. Bruyneel who had previously said that Contador's success had gone to his head, and Armstrong saying pretty much the exact opposite, that he needed to "champ up" instead of living like he used to, adn behaving like he was still a normal rider.

They need to get their fabrications straighter.

theswordsman said:
All the opinions can now apparently be settled with facts and documentation about the purchase of Time Trial wheels. The closest thing I've seen to a negative statement by Contador in months was that during the Tour he found out he wasn't getting the team's best wheels, so he had to buy his own.

Bruyneel just answered reader's questions for ElMundo, and the first question he addressed was the TT wheels. He said he had no idea where Alberto got that from, as all the riders, especially the leaders, had the same materials.

After the Tour it was reported that Contador had to buy his own wheels before the Monaco time trial, as the ones he wanted were not given to him.

So, were ACs wheels in the Monaco time trial different to the other members of the team ?

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I know that the spanish press ( marca, el mundo, AS etc.) are famous of their (made-up) story lines.
But this time I believe anything they wrote, You don't have to be a genius to figure out that lance and bruyneel were playing let's say, 'ugly games' during and before the tour.

I think this say's everything

That's not an alteration of reality, that's Lance Armstrong at his everyday, backstabbing, conniving best. He missed no opportunity to attempt to humiliate and psychologically beat down Alberto Contador. And he, Armstrong, was shown repeatedly to be the weaker man (on and off the bike).

Lance is a master of manipulation, both in word and in deed. It isn't the Spanish press playing you for an idiot, it's Lance. He can't defend his actions, as described by Alberto and his brother, so he tries a little emotion-laden slight of hand. "C'mon, fellas. We aren't stupid." But, really, he hopes you are. He believes you are.

lucybears said:
After the Tour it was reported that Contador had to buy his own wheels before the Monaco time trial, as the ones he wanted were not given to him.

So, were ACs wheels in the Monaco time trial different to the other members of the team ?

so far, can only find that Contador is riding a Hed 3 front while Lance is riding a Bontrager.

still, even that seems to contradict Bruyneel "all the riders, especially the leaders, had the same materials"

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
lucybears said:
so far, can only find that Contador is riding a Hed 3 front while Lance is riding a Bontrager.

still, even that seems to contradict Bruyneel "all the riders, especially the leaders, had the same materials"

i seem to remember during the tour coverage, that the spanish commentator said it was unusual that contador wasn't using wheels with ceramic bearings. FWIW

craig1985 said:
Is it me or is this becoming a bit like groundhog day?

unfortunately yes. & groundhog day will continue for as long as “So many dirty things, unbelievable. Complete bull****, pieces of slime, fat lies.” are uttered by those who think that they do not have a lot to learn.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
lucybears said:
unfortunately yes. & groundhog day will continue for as long as “So many dirty things, unbelievable. Complete bull****, pieces of slime, fat lies.” are uttered by those who think that they do not have a lot to learn.

My favourite quote was Lance telling the media to ask Trek who was telling the truth about equipment? Yes Lance, Alberto had his own privately funded mechanic. What makes me believe Trek were talking with Alberto and his private mechanic, let alone informing you about his bike? You weren't spying were you? Trek sponsor who else but Big Tex? No just Lance. Aren't they going to court with Lemond? Yes, I truly believe they'll tell the truth or not try and put some spin on it that will favour Lance. Can you hear my sarcasm? I don't think I've ever witnessed him being a bigger tool. He has no class at all. I truly feel sorry for America. How many false heroes does the US have? Too many I fear.

About the Bontrager wheels. Crap, everyone who can, should use Zipp. Hands down the best wheels out there right now.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I think the Lance interview pretty much speaks for itself. I find the Bruyneel interview interesting in that he backs Contador's belief in himself on the road and backs away from statements that Contador did not obey team orders. This seems more truthful than the BS that was being served to us during the Tour.

thehog said:
This is too much and I have to get involved. I shouldn't I know but I will.

You have to admit that this is part of the "master plan" of mental disintegration. However I don't think its going to work. Alberto really gets to Armstrong. Armstrong just can't work him out and it frustrates him. Expect to see this continue all the way up to the Tour with Alberto saying nothing then winning the Tour.

I'm a little worried for Armstrong's mental state post 2010 Tour. its going to hurt.

btw/ I managed to flick through the Armstrong's self-masterbatery book "Comeback 2.0" at the airport a couple of weeks ago. There is a photo of Contador on the podium except you can't see his face, just his body in the yellow jersey. Next to the grainy shot of Alberto's body is Armstrong's children all dressed in yellow themselves (!) with the caption: "Daddy why is that man wearing your shirt?"

- Is the man just stupid? Using his kids like this.

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
i find it very interesting that AC has lost his hole team. and its not like astana had nothing to offer them? any of them could have been payed **** loads, we all no astana is made of money. and they could have been free to ride for themselves in one of other 2 grand tours? and pretty much every other race other than paris - nice.
im not a fan of lance or contador, but to me it appears there may be some truth to what armstrong has said about contador. But lance os a douche bag for saying that. he obviously feels has to beat him down mentally to have a chance of beating him. i hope some one beats both of them.
My other theory is that they all know as soon as they ditch the hog theyll test positive, or bonk.

When I read the comments attributed to Armstrong in CN's coverage of the interviews, I looked at a calendar to make sure it wasn't April 1. Unbelievable garbage talk. He just can't forgive Contador for beating him - and he doesn't seem to mind appearing a total **** in the process. Maybe this will bring more fanboys over to the haters camp.

By the way, have to agree with the Hog's comment about Armstrong shamelessly exploiting his children to enhance his brand. No decency.

TRENDING THREADS