• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who had the Biggest sporting change in History?

Who has the biggest performance jump from Donkey to Race Horse

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Apart from having a big smile, a Cancer Foundation, high cadence, big heart, etc.

We want to know who had the biggest jump from being a "Donkey" to a "Race Horse"

If you don't agree with the choices just vote other and explain.

Thanks.

Edit: I am undecided between Froome and Riis. I am waiting for people to give me a better case for any of the two.

EnacheV

BANNED
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
what is with this lately ****ty polls in the clinic

who made you lol
who had the biggest ...

i understand you are upset by Horner but you can release your anger in his thread :D

EnacheV said:
what is with this lately ****ty polls in the clinic

who made you lol
who had the biggest ...

i understand you are upset by Horner but you can release your anger in his thread :D
Actually I am not voting for Horner. Horner is the last one in the list. I just upset that some people think that Froome had more talent than Horner to begin with.

I am undecided between Froome and Riis.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Horner was, he had the same "no results" as Froome when 25 years old...
In a completely different era, when people had jelly running through their veins.

Anyway, at least Froome was the same kind of rider before and after his transformation (all-rounded climber and time-trialist), so I'd have to say Wiggins and Riis.

hrotha said:
In a completely different era, when people had jelly running through their veins.

Anyway, at least Froome was the same kind of rider before and after his transformation (all-rounded climber and time-trialist), so I'd have to say Wiggins and Riis.

Horner is still a bit hard to take, jelly or not. I have real doubts that a guy who climbed Pena Cabarga like he did would have been almost completely slaughtered during his first stint in Europe.

roundabout said:
Horner is still a bit hard to take, jelly or not. I have real doubts that a guy who climbed Pena Cabarga like he did would have been almost completely slaughtered during his first stint in Europe.
Personally I find his Vuelta more suspicious in light of his second stint. Sure, he had very good results, but he had little to show for it in GT GCs for 8 years.

hrotha said:
Personally I find his Vuelta more suspicious in light of his second stint. Sure, he had very good results, but he had little to show for it in GT GCs for 8 years.

Agree.

Then again he got injured in the 2009 Giro, crashed out in the 2009 Vuelta and 2011 Tour.

No guarantees how those races would have ended up, but that's 3 GT's he could have placed well in.

the sceptic said:
Horner and LA werent Donkeys before their transformations

Armstrong was doped as a teenager under Carmichael/Wenzel. There is literally no way to know what his natural fitness is/was. There are clues, the Tour of Gila he rode to very unspectacular results, some post-uci multisport events where he gets soundly beaten.

Horner had more talent at the wrong time. Is he doping? No clue. But, I choose the option where he is both is/is not doping at the same time. History will likely tell.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Haha. So true. It reminded me of Francesco Moser. Mr. Moser's accomplishments demand a revision to the poll.

For the younger set, he was the first to break Merckx's hour record some 20 years(?) after Merckx set it, and broke it twice.... Using EPO.

It was reinfused blood courtesy of those fine men at the U of Ferrara. During the Giro he got a similar leg up from a helicopter.

As far as Horner goes, they're partying pretty hard in Appalacia right now. Not cause of Horner. That's just what hillbillies do.

Hellbilly Deluxe.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
Hmm, the era before there was even a test for EPO? The era when you could get as much of it in your system as you wanted, as long as you could get a saline drip in time?

And now there are so many undectable things available, who knows what´s going on now. It seems the passport isn´t working anymore. I tought it would take 5+ years to get the same absurd results like back then. But no, it only took two years.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
roundabout said:
Agree.

Then again he got injured in the 2009 Giro, crashed out in the 2009 Vuelta and 2011 Tour.

No guarantees how those races would have ended up, but that's 3 GT's he could have placed well in.

Still all of them would have been after age 36. At this point all top cyclists declined heavily (even the mega dopers of the 90s like Rijs).
Everybody shall remember that Horner had nothing to show for until at least age 25, and he failed miserably his 1st time in europe.
Don´t get confused when "Moose" comes up with some obscure US palamares. Chad Haga has more to show at age 25, and i picked him randomly. There arte thousands like him. Horner was not even an average donkey turned into a race horse.
So my call goes for Horner.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
And now there are so many undectable things avaiable, who knows what´s going on now. It seems the passport isn´t working anymore. I toght it would take 5+ years to get the same absurd results like back then. But no, it only took two years.
You seem to be under the impression that I think he's clean now or something?

Chances are he was clean(ish) during his first stint though. That's the difference for me. That's why his FDJ results mean zilch to me.

TRENDING THREADS