• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

who has never won...

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

Festina had a pretty good one-two punch with Beloki and Moreau. Either could/should have won one.

Alex Zulle probably should have a TdF title.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Eugene Christophe.

If it wasn't for World War 1, a series of broken forks and the 1912 points system, he would probably have won multiple Tours. He deserved at least one.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Evans in the fact he had a lot of close calls, but I personally never saw him as guy who should have dominated or won a single GT... Never ever the strongest in the mountains.

Samuel Sanchez, Floyd Landis, Michael Rasmussen.

meh there have been way more deserving riders then ss, in fact he has never been the 'best' or most deserving at a single GT, so I strongly disagree with this. Same goes for guys like Rodriguez.
Being a good rider and strong GT contender doesn't make one a deserved GT winner. That being said tho, there are a few cyclists who are lucky to be a GT winner....

As for the other two, well a possibility with major clinic related questions.

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Herman Van Springel. Second or third in just about every major race, including 2nd in the Tour and Giro and 3rd in the Vuelta.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Haha, he has never even been close.

he was going great in the vuelta before he crashed out. I thought this would be about the older guys that only had very few chances left. Anton's only 27 he's got a lot of chances left :)

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
meh there have been way more deserving riders then ss, in fact he has never been the 'best' or most deserving at a single GT, so I strongly disagree with this. Same goes for guys like Rodriguez.
Being a good rider and strong GT contender doesn't make one a deserved GT winner. That being said tho, there are a few cyclists who are lucky to be a GT winner....

As for the other two, well a possibility with major clinic related questions.

There have been more deserving riders and i listed them. But Samu is way better than Rodriguez so that comparison is wrong. I guess some would argue that Samu should have won Vuelta as Valverde shouldnt have been there yada yada yada though i certainatly dont agree with that.

But like Evans missed out by targeting the Tour a few times, Samu without a doubt missed out by targeting the tour last year. Vs Nibali, Mosquera and Velits, it would have been Basso 2006 territory. I think if he handt broken his wrist on Tourmalet stage he would have gone for it and maybe won it regardless of Tour fatigue (like Sastre put in a good Vuelta in 08).

And though EE dont do it, i think he could have won the Giro last year as well.

Lets hope next year he doesnt take that break after the tour but goes for la vuelta.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Arnout said:
:D I'm sorry. I understand the thread, just don't understand the word "deserve" for this kind of thing.

I gotta agree with you. If Evans or any other rider listed so far had the quality or determination to win a GT, they'd have done it. I don't get this "deserve" thing at all. Evans was the strongest, smartest rider at the 09 worlds, so he won the race. See how that works?

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Haha, he has never even been close.

Michielveedeebee said:
he was going great in the vuelta before he crashed out. I thought this would be about the older guys that only had very few chances left. Anton's only 27 he's got a lot of chances left :)

I nominated Anton because he was having a ripping Vuelta before his crash. He had it in the bag! He would have won if not for the crash. The OP didn't specify if it was for the old guys so I thought I'd throw in a contemporary option. Pretty sure he'll win one soon though. :)

A

Anonymous

Brad Wiggins. Lets face it, the year he came fourth the three in front of him cheated :D

TeamSkyFans said:
Brad Wiggins. Lets face it, the year he came fourth the three in front of him cheated :D

You may joke but your on to something.

So did at least the first 2 behind him.

5 Frank Schleck
6 Andreas Kloeden.

So Wiggins, a pursuit rider who never climbed a hill, was by far the best clean rider in the big one, the grandady of them all, the blue ribbon, the one they all want to win, le grand bucle- The Tour de France.

Unless he wasnt. See what im getting at dim ;)

A

Anonymous

The Hitch said:
You may joke but your on to something.

So did at least the first 2 behind him.

5 Frank Schleck
6 Andreas Kloeden.

So Wiggins, a pursuit rider who never climbed a hill, was by far the best clean rider in the big one, the grandady of them all, the blue ribbon, the one they all want to win, le grand bucle- The Tour de France.

Unless he wasnt. See what im getting at dim ;)

Did i forget to include my sarcasm smiley :D

And yes, RObert Miller was robbed of the vuelta.

TRENDING THREADS