• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who is clean?

Which rider(s) were/ are clean?

• Lemond

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A

Anonymous

i think an interesting extension to your question is who, out of the last say five years TDF top 5, is clean?

given all the rumours etc that are out there about specific riders (he was seen at a plasma clinic, he was on an OP bag, his friends say he talked about EPO etc etc), i would have to say that out of the GC contenders, cadel evans, levi leipheimer and christian VDV have convinced me that they are clean.

some will disagree with me, but these guys have never had any media speculation as to being doped or anything (or at least speculation that many other podium/top five finishers have had). they are consistent performers who haven't experienced a huge jump in results in a short time span, and it seems they're ability is respected and not doubted by most realistic analysts. neither has acheived what some would call an 'unbelievable result'...

Mountain Goat said:
i think an interesting extension to your question is who, out of the last say five years TDF top 5, is clean?

given all the rumours etc that are out there about specific riders (he was seen at a plasma clinic, he was on an OP bag, his friends say he talked about EPO etc etc), i would have to say that out of the GC contenders, cadel evans, levi leipheimer and christian VDV have convinced me that they are clean.

some will disagree with me, but these guys have never had any media speculation as to being doped or anything (or at least speculation that many other podium/top five finishers have had). they are consistent performers who haven't experienced a huge jump in results in a short time span, and it seems they're ability is respected and not doubted by most realistic analysts. neither has acheived what some would call an 'unbelievable result'...

Well I disagree. Christian and Levi both made pretty big improvements. We could debate Christian a bit, as he has had flashes in the past. However, Levi made a big jump when he joined Johan Bruyneel, in his TT and climbing, breakthrough performances as well as consistency. I'd say he is highly suspect.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Ripper said:
Well I disagree. Christian and Levi both made pretty big improvements. We could debate Christian a bit, as he has had flashes in the past. However, Levi made a big jump when he joined Johan Bruyneel, in his TT and climbing, breakthrough performances as well as consistency. I'd say he is highly suspect.

Christian made a huge jump shortly after going pro. I'd agree on all counts but have never been sure about Cadel. He was a serious natural (I guess?) mountain biker. His irritable nature seems natural enough.

Mountain Goat said:
Given all the rumours etc that are out there about specific riders (he was seen at a plasma clinic, he was on an OP bag, his friends say he talked about EPO etc etc), i would have to say that out of the GC contenders, cadel evans, levi leipheimer and christian VDV have convinced me that they are clean.

That's gold, Jerry. Gold!

Leipheimer? The rider who used to stay at the same Tenerife hotel as Dr. Ferrari?

CVV?? The guy who rode for The Hog, Mr. 60%, and "Venga Venga" Saiz?

Evans? The rider who used to ride for Mapei and T-Mobile during a time when everyone at the top of the sport was doping?

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
That's gold, Jerry. Gold!

Leipheimer? The rider who used to stay at the same Tenerife hotel as Dr. Ferrari?

CVV?? The guy who rode for The Hog, Mr. 60%, and "Venga Venga" Saiz?

Evans? The rider who used to ride for Mapei and T-Mobile during a time when everyone at the top of the sport was doping?

Well... to be fair... Evans never got "food poisoning" as did the rest of his T-Mobile teammates! ;)

May 6, 2009
Visit site
R.0.t.O said:
LOL at Levi Leipheimer. Quality.

There's a chance that Cunego is clean now. Obviously not in 2005, but maybe now.

You mean 2004. In the 2005 Giro, he was dropped on the first mountain stage. For the poll, I vote for David Moncoutié. Either off the front or off the back, he had to early on his career stop on the top of mountains to put a rain coat on, because he couldn't ride down hill and take his hands off the handlebars. And everybody else who was doping at Cofidis said he was clean.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
All of them shower regularly.

soap-main_Full.jpg

A

Anonymous

were and are, are two very different questions...

i think there are several riders who where doping, but arent now..

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
ludwig said:
But if clean means "doesn't use banned substances/practics" the answer is none of the above.

I would not say that. Google for Cunego. It seems he is clean nowadays given his past performance compared to nowadays and age, plus the way he acts "strangely" against doping.

I voted for Cunego and Lemond.

I missed Gerdemann and Voigt in the poll.

I am surprised 15% think Armstrong is clean.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:

I am surprised 15% think Armstrong is clean.
I think it gets "stupid" for some people. Can somebody be a fan of an "X" rider but at the same time be realistic about the doping issue?

I voted for David Moncoutié and Greg Lemond. The question included past tense, so that's why I did not pick Cunego.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Yeah i am still a fan of Jan Ulrich, the same time i am realistic about the doping issue. I tell you why: He brought me back to cycling after a long layoff. He made cycling popular in germany. He was (besides doping) a fair sportsman. Just remember how he waited for Armstrong. He was down to earth, not arrogant. All the things Epo-Lance does not possess.

To Cunego: If past is included, then you are correct. Then i should withdrawal my vote for him. But still i like his way now. It seems he and Gerdemann are the only ones speaking out against doping.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Yeah i am still a fan of Jan Ulrich, the same time i am realistic about the doping issue. I tell you why: He brought me back to cycling after a long layoff. He made cycling popular in germany. He was (besides doping) a fair sportsman. Just remember how he waited for Armstrong. He was down to earth, not arrogant. All the things Epo-Lance does not possess.

To Cunego: If past is included, then you are correct. Then i should withdrawal my vote for him. But still i like his way now. It seems he and Gerdemann are the only ones speaking out against doping.

Do you also remember that Armstrong complained that Ullrich didn't wait for him?! What a arrogant tool!

I really liked Ullrich a lot too. I think supporting him also helped be cope with my support for Evans in the TdF! :D

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Cobber said:
Do you also remember that Armstrong complained that Ullrich didn't wait for him?! What a arrogant tool!

I really liked Ullrich a lot too. I think supporting him also helped be cope with my support for Evans in the TdF! :D

But there you see how bad things has become:

Ulrich is the big scapegoat and Epo-Lance is welcomed back with lots of a$$-kissing by the fanboys.

I didnt know Epo-Lance was complaining about Ulrich not waiting. But i am not surprised, he is always complaining. He is like George W: If you are not with us, you are against us. Pretty simple mind. Seems they are low living brothers with a degenerated brain. Sorry for the harsh words ;)

Didn't vote since there was no none of the above option.

If you heard of a pro rider, he is not clean.

I don't buy this wasn't clean but is clean now story. That's exactly the b.s. story that the UCI is trying to sell to renew interest in their sport. Fluctuations in performance are at least as well explained by inabilities to use some PEDs that were particularly effective in the past, rather than by no doping at all now.

TRENDING THREADS