• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who is the best climber in the world (excluding El Pistolero and Andrew)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Other than Al and Andy. Who is the best climber in the world?

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
May 12, 2010
Visit site
Looking at last years Giro, Basso > Scarponi, so that's an easy one.

I don't think Rujano, Riccò or Schleck the Elder are anything special, those guys certainly aren't the world third best climber.

Last years Tour we had Rodriguez, Gesink and Samuel Sanchez. IMO their strength in the mountains was as follows: Samuel > Gesink > Rodriguez.

Anton is a wild card. He looked really strong in the Vuelta 2010, but he crashed out quite early, so we only know his performance on one mountain top finish, and some short/steep stuff (which is less important in deciding the most third best climber). In the 2008 Vuelta he looked really good as well, but crashed out too soon. It could very well be the case that after the upcomming Giro he is clearly the number 3, but at this point we have seen too little to judge that.

Stupidly enough, I voted Gesink for this poll, without really thinking about it, but I would say last year it was 3. Samuel Sanchez, 4. Gesink, 5. Basso, 6. Rodriguez. If Gesink shows the progression someone at his age should show, he could definitely be number 3 this year, otherwise it's Samuel Sanchez (a great showing of Anton in the Giro could change this).

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Also how does Rujano get on there and Menchov who was the best of the rest after Samu at the tour and Nibali who was pretty much the equal of Purito at the Vuelta?

Quite difficult. Went with Basso for his strong performances on the Zoncolan et al. in the Giro last year. Really crushed some good opposition there.

I guess a case could be made for Rodriguez or Anton. But went with the Terrible One because of his consistency, whereas Rodriguez and Anton can be a bit erratic sometimes.

Also, since when is Scarponi El Presidente? Does not make sense on so many levels. He already has a perfect nickname in Zapatero, no?

greenedge said:
I think good questions to ask would be if Pozzovio, Uran and Sastre should be on that list and who is the best Young climber ( monsalve, santoro ) and who has been the best climber ever, Jimenez, Virenque, Bahamontes, Pantani or Contador.

Basso should not be on the list based on current form, his heyday was in 2004-06 and Gesink needs to show signs he is still a great climber. Also is this based on pure climbers because we could put Cadel in there for his diesel engine.

Pozzovivo should probably be in there. He won more or less every mountain stage on the Italian calendar last year. Urán, not yet, and Sastre, not any more. Certainly a year or two ago Sastre had to be included. If we include Cadel we have to include Menchov, who has probably shown more on long climbs than Cadel.

If we're talking best climbers ever then somebody really needs to mention José Manuel Fuente.

I find it interesting that MADRAZO voted for Franklin. The guy knows a bit about cycling (MADRAZO not Frank). Would like to see him take up Dekker T when he starts ****ing on Schleck the elder again.

Lanark said:
Looking at last years Giro, Basso > Scarponi, so that's an easy one.

Last years Tour we had Rodriguez, Gesink and Samuel Sanchez. IMO their strength in the mountains was as follows: Samuel > Gesink > Rodriguez.

Stupidly enough, I voted Gesink for this poll, without really thinking about it, but I would say last year it was 3. Samuel Sanchez, 4. Gesink, 5. Basso, 6. Rodriguez. If Gesink shows the progression someone at his age should show, he could definitely be number 3 this year, otherwise it's Samuel Sanchez (a great showing of Anton in the Giro could change this).

So your saying Samu was better or Gesink was better.

Its close but for me the fact that Sanchez took time from Gesink in every mountain stage and wooped him big in the mountains is what pushes it slightly to Samu.

But thats just me:p

May 12, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
So your saying Samu was better or Gesink was better.

Its close but for me the fact that Sanchez took time from Gesink in every mountain stage and wooped him big in the mountains is what pushes it slightly to Samu.

But thats just me:p

Like I said, it was stupid of me to vote for Gesink, because Sanchez was better last year. Of course it's possible they changed places this year (it wouldn't suprise me, but we'll see in july).

Moondance said:
Q
Also, since when is Scarponi El Presidente? Does not make sense on so many levels. He already has a perfect nickname in Zapatero, no?

Someone else called him El Presidente and i liked it. Its because (well I assume it was directed at Scarponi), Zapatero is the presidente del gobierno in spain.

Its not great but its probably a bit harsh to call him Zapatero directly. To go around calling Basso "The Terrible", Ricco "The Cobra" but Scarponi after his OP nickname.

Lanark said:
Like I said, it was stupid of me to vote for Gesink, because Sanchez was better last year. Of course it's possible they changed places this year (it wouldn't suprise me, but we'll see in july).

Its because you said Samuel > Gesink > Rodriguez which suggested Gesink was better, than named them the other way round 2 sentences later so I was confused

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Igor Anton.

There I said it :p

I'm going to call Zapatero Michele Mascarpone after the Giro. After El Dynamitero is done with him, that's what he'll be :p

Sparta said:
Also how does Rujano get on there and Menchov who was the best of the rest after Samu at the tour and Nibali who was pretty much the equal of Purito at the Vuelta?

Moondance said:
Because Hitch has firmly bought the hype that Jose Rujano is the 'third best climber in the world,' even if he never displays it.

Its because I figured more people are likely to vote for Rujano then Menchov.

Most people who would vote for Menchov, recognise that Samu maybe Purito Scarponi are better climbers, though lose to him in tts.

There are those however who believe Rujano is the 3rd best climber in the world.

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Most people who would vote for Menchov, recognise that Samu maybe Purito Scarponi are better climbers, though lose to him in tts.

He won the 2009 giro by being the best climber in the race beating the likes of Basso, Di Luca, Sastre and Pellizotti all of whom would probably have been in this poll two years ago. Scarponi - I haven't seen him dominate a GT in the mountains. I'll give you Samu but I'd say he edges Purito to. Don't even like the guy but one of the most underated climbers ever

There are those however who believe Rujano is the 3rd best climber in the world.

Hate to break this to you but if you've seen the interview its pretty obvious he is joking.

To be fair i would vote Gilbert if I could best climber on climbs less than 5k in length.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Anton is the 3rd best climber I think... then Sanchez, then Gesink.

Rodriguez is overrated because usually he hangs on on climbs to attack in the final km. But the longer the climb, the worse rodriguez gets

Zoncolan: 1. Bert 2. Rodriguez. Book it.

I don`t think Rodriguez is overrated. He was third on the Tourmalet, and third on the Bola del Mundo last year. He's consistently good. I may be leaning toward the worse TTists though.

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Rodriguez is only 'good' on the very steep stuff, for the rest he hangs in and attacks indeed on the last kilometer just like was shown on the Tourmalet this year which is also steeper than the rest of the climb. Gesink was chasing for Menchov basically the whole climb and then the last km Rodriguez, Hesjedal and in the final meters Sanchez jumped away..

TRENDING THREADS