• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who is the best climber in the world (excluding El Pistolero and Andrew)

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Other than Al and Andy. Who is the best climber in the world?

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Moondance said:
Silly of me, that does make sense, quite clever too.... I always thought the Spanish had a Prime Minister though, not a President, my mistake, I would've probably understood it otherwise..

Actually, now that I think about it, it is actually a little confusing of the Spaniards, since they do have a Monarch who acts as the Head of State, and then to also have a President is mucho confusing.

Its "Presidente del Gobierno" which is President of the government which is a Prime Minister. Hes not the president of the country.

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
roundabout said:
Lol, I hate Rasmussen because I think that a singular dominant Tour doesn't make him as good as you think he is? Really?

One Tour de France is hardly the only thing making Rasmussen worthy of a climbers list that includes Igor Anton and Jose Rujano. Take away that Tour completely and you'll still have plenty of results comparing favorably with those two.

Ricco showed a lot more in races with mountains than Rasmussen did last year.

If the transfusion thing didn't happen and Ricco + Vacansoleil just went as normal to the Giro I think he would be doing more in the mountains that Rasmussen would if he was there.

ergmonkey said:
Ask Hitch.

If so, you might want to remember that Ricco is doing a lot less racing than Rasmussen, though.

Rasmussen is 37 and isnt showing the brilliant form of 2007. Ricco might not be racing but his 2008 performances were those of a young man and his performance last year suggested he was on his way back.

Libertine Seguros said:
Pozzovivo should probably be in there. He won more or less every mountain stage on the Italian calendar last year. Urán, not yet, and Sastre, not any more. Certainly a year or two ago Sastre had to be included. If we include Cadel we have to include Menchov, who has probably shown more on long climbs than Cadel.

Agree with the menchov part he should be in there, but Cadel has trumped Menchov every yr. Last yr crashed but still hammered Giro and was going well in tour. 2006 came 4th Menchov, 5th. Cadel also started a bit later at TDF than Menchov. Cadel's heyday was in 07 and 08, basso's before. Sastre you're right. However Uran will prove himself this yr along with Henao, Monsalve and santoro.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
luckyboy said:
@Libertine Seguros

Didn't start watching the Vuelta til 2007.

First Tour 2003 (13yo), started watching all stages 2005. Giro + classics came in 2006.

It's really hard to find footage of Vueltas to download.

Cyclingtorrents has a bunch of Vuelta editions on free leech (including 2006).

Anton was real impressive that Vuelta (only 23). At Calar Alto he rode away from Piti, Vino, and Sastre in very impressive fashion.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Rasmussen is 37 and isnt showing the brilliant form of 2007. Ricco might not be racing but his 2008 performances were those of a young man and his performance last year suggested he was on his way back.

At least he cal still ride a bike. Very unlikely that the Cobra will be back, so he shouldn't be in the poll imo.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Im asking for the best climber. Whether the UCI lets him compete or not is another matter.

If you can't ride in the peloton than you'll weaken a lot thus can't be the best climber.

Question answered. I have no problem with Ricco being on dope, but facts are facts. 2 strikes and you're out.

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
greenedge said:
Agree with the menchov part he should be in there, but Cadel has trumped Menchov every yr. Last yr crashed but still hammered Giro and was going well in tour. 2006 came 4th Menchov, 5th. Cadel also started a bit later at TDF than Menchov. Cadel's heyday was in 07 and 08, basso's before. Sastre you're right. However Uran will prove himself this yr along with Henao, Monsalve and santoro.

Knowing your allegiance how can we really take you seriously??;) Menchov reaches his best finish in the Tour and you want to still rate Evans above him based on last year's results? Everyone was less than healthy by the end of the Giro so Evans can't use that excuse for not making the podium. Remember his broken elbow occurred at the Tour not the Giro.

I'm not sure I understand the bit about Cadel starting "a bit later at TdF than Menchov".

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
La Pandera said:
Knowing your allegiance how can we really take you seriously??;) Menchov reaches his best finish in the Tour and you want to still rate Evans above him based on last year's results? Everyone was less than healthy by the end of the Giro so Evans can't use that excuse for not making the podium. Remember his broken elbow occurred at the Tour not the Giro.

I'm not sure I understand the bit about Cadel starting "a bit later at TdF than Menchov".

Later in his career.

Menchov won the white jersey if I remember correctly, so he has a point.

But I give the benefit of the doubt to Menchov. He won 2 GTs and Cuddles 0.

Menchov in 2003, won white jersey coming 11th. Cadel started in 2005 coming 8th. In TDF Cadel has finished higher than Menchov each time except for last yr in the tour. Also Menchov finished 3rd in 2008. I agree Menchov is good, not disputing facts he won two tours, just saying cadel would probably beat him. Also it has nothing to do with national allegiances. He crashed but he had the yellow jersey on still quite an accomplishment. At Giro he went well but did not crash i know. Cadel animates each race. Besides last yr he beat a rider with a cracked elbow into 3rd place.

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Later in his career.

Menchov won the white jersey if I remember correctly, so he has a point.

But I give the benefit of the doubt to Menchov. He won 2 GTs and Cuddles 0.

Technically, Evans had earlier grand tour success than Menchov so that reasoning doesn't fly either. He was race leader of the (2002?) Giro at the beginning of the last week but lost it all due to his inexperience and finshed out of the top ten. Menchov was best young rider the following year I believe. Evans made top ten in the Tour for 2 years before Menchov made his first appearance there.

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
greenedge said:
Menchov in 2003, won white jersey coming 11th. Cadel started in 2005 coming 8th. In TDF Cadel has finished higher than Menchov each time except for last yr in the tour. Also Menchov finished 3rd in 2008. I agree Menchov is good, not disputing facts he won two tours, just saying cadel would probably beat him. Also it has nothing to do with national allegiances. He crashed but he had the yellow jersey on still quite an accomplishment. At Giro he went well but did not crash i know. Cadel animates each race. Besides last yr he beat a rider with a cracked elbow into 3rd place.[/B]

Who did he beat into 3rd place? Didn't Evans finish 5th at the Giro and completely out of contention in the Tour? I must be exhausted because my comprehension skills are seemingly lacking. Both are good climbers, I just think Menchov is a more well rounded climber than Evans, thus his 3 grand tour wins to Evans' zilch.

Cadel animates each race? Only since late 2009.

Menchov has 3 GT wins.

Menchov is a smarter climber than Cuddles. Cuddles has a tendency to go too far into the red and blow up spectacularly.

I'll also ask - how many mountaintop wins does Cuddles have? I can only count one - Mont Serein in Paris-Nice '08.

Menchov has, not counting stuff he won by default in the 2005 Vuelta, Pla de Beret in the '06 Tour, Mont Ventoux in the '06 Dauphiné, Arcalis in the '07 Vuelta, Arcalis in the '07 Volta a Catalunya, Alpe di Siusi in the '09 Giro.

It's no good being a gifted climber if you don't know how to use it - just ask José Rujano.

TRENDING THREADS