• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who is the best climber in the world (excluding El Pistolero and Andrew)

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Other than Al and Andy. Who is the best climber in the world?

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Cadel animates each race? Only since late 2009.

Menchov has 3 GT wins.

Menchov is a smarter climber than Cuddles. Cuddles has a tendency to go too far into the red and blow up spectacularly.

I'll also ask - how many mountaintop wins does Cuddles have? I can only count one - Mont Serein in Paris-Nice '08.

Menchov has, not counting stuff he won by default in the 2005 Vuelta, Pla de Beret in the '06 Tour, Mont Ventoux in the '06 Dauphiné, Arcalis in the '07 Vuelta, Arcalis in the '07 Volta a Catalunya, Alpe di Siusi in the '09 Giro.

It's no good being a gifted climber if you don't know how to use it - just ask José Rujano.

True - he has not been a huge mountain top winner apart from that Ventoux stage in Paris-Nice and odds and sods like stage 2 of Ruta del Sol in 2008 where the players included some members of the OP's list:-

"Torrox Costa - La Zubia
1 Cadel Evans (Aus) Silence - Lotto 4.47.31
2 Mikel Astarloza Chaurreau (Spa) Euskaltel - Euskadi 0.04
3 Juan Manuel Garate (Spa) Quickstep 0.09
26 Igor Anton Hernandez (Spa) Euskaltel - Euskadi 4.05
27 Benat Intxausti Elorriaga (Spa) Saunier Duval - Scott 4.05
28 Joaquim Rodriguez (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne 4.14
33 Juan Jose Cobo Acebo (Spa) Saunier Duval - Scott 5.19
34 Denis Menchov (Rus) Rabobank
40 Riccardo Ricco (Ita) Saunier Duval - Scott 7.19"

but he has been consistently a real threat (and been targetted).

Besides his "slow to learn" habits may have deserted him in the last couple of years and the wins have flowed. Possibly because he has lowered his sights but I suspect the mountain wins may well just follow (most recently Tirreno was no picnic).

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
not sure if any one has mentioned him but if Ricco is included what about Chicken ( Michael Rasmussen).

although an older body now and if on form would rip the legs of the list and probably Andy as well.

La Pandera said:
Who did he beat into 3rd place? Didn't Evans finish 5th at the Giro and completely out of contention in the Tour? I must be exhausted because my comprehension skills are seemingly lacking. Both are good climbers, I just think Menchov is a more well rounded climber than Evans, thus his 3 grand tour wins to Evans' zilch.

Because of KOHL doing drugs he moved up in 08. Cadel's 1st tour he competed in was 05. Maybe i am a bit biased but not so much. Remember he did crash in that yr's tour. He would have gone top 5 if not. I disagree with the menchov vs Evans as Menchov being the better climber but you are entitled to your opinion and he is undoubtedly good.

greenedge said:
Because of KOHL doing drugs he moved up in 08. Cadel's 1st tour he competed in was 05. Maybe i am a bit biased but not so much. Remember he did crash in that yr's tour. He would have gone top 5 if not. I disagree with the menchov vs Evans as Menchov being the better climber but you are entitled to your opinion and he is undoubtedly good.

I don't necessary consider Menchov to be a better climber. I think they're comparable. But Menchov is a much SMARTER climber, even now Evans has thrown off his shackles and started making good on his ability, he still shows a tendency to go too far in the red and blow up (Zoncolán, Mortirolo). Menchov crashed in the '08 Tour too - he fell attacking uphill (something Evans didn't do once in the race) on Prato Nervoso. Also, a minute of what Evans gained on Menchov was on the descent into Jausiers. Their climbing in the race was comparable.

They are quite comparable as talents, Evans and Menchov. I'd maybe say Evans shades it overall. But I'd rather have Menchov's palmarès. Until the last year or so it wasn't even close. That World title and Flèche make a big difference.

Oh yea - Menchov wasn't 3rd in '08. Officially, nobody was. Menchov has never been promoted to 3rd officially.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
I don't necessary consider Menchov to be a better climber. I think they're comparable. But Menchov is a much SMARTER climber, even now Evans has thrown off his shackles and started making good on his ability, he still shows a tendency to go too far in the red and blow up (Zoncolán, Mortirolo). Menchov crashed in the '08 Tour too - he fell attacking uphill (something Evans didn't do once in the race) on Prato Nervoso. Also, a minute of what Evans gained on Menchov was on the descent into Jausiers. Their climbing in the race was comparable.

They are quite comparable as talents, Evans and Menchov. I'd maybe say Evans shades it overall. But I'd rather have Menchov's palmarès. Until the last year or so it wasn't even close. That World title and Flèche make a big difference.

Oh yea - Menchov wasn't 3rd in '08. Officially, nobody was. Menchov has never been promoted to 3rd officially.

I think he has, they made Sastre official winner of the KoM I think.

TRENDING THREADS