• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who is the most over rated cyclist???

who is the most overrated cyclist

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
May 19, 2010
Visit site
How can you call him overated when has won 7 TDF, he does deserve a little respect. Im not a lance fan but still he does deserve credit!

I think sastre!!

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
richo36 said:
How can you call him overated when has won 7 TDF, he does deserve a little respect. Im not a lance fan but still he does deserve credit!

I think sastre!!

I was speaking in current terms, richo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He used to be dominant, but do you think he still has what it takes these days????????????

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Jamsque said:

He used to be dominant, but do you think he still has what it takes these days????????????

Im looking from a non-media side, in terms of media he is by a long, long way. But I mean what cycling fans actually think. So what im trying to say is the people who get constantly tipped to win by actual cycling fans. There is hardly any actual cycling fans that actually think he can win. But there are other individuals who constantly are tipped but never succeed. Thats why i picked Satsre so many people talk up his chances but yet he never seems to come through.
My secong choice would have been Greipel.

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
the most over-rated rider has to be french. it's basically a rule. my choice: sylvain chavanel. that guy always gets talked about like he's about he's about to turn the peloton on it's head. the problem? he's 30 and, apart from a few time trial victories over other frenchmen, hasn't ever really done that much.

saganftw said:
from your list kloden,he was on TDF podium couple of times and that was long time ago...other than that i dont really remeber huge results from him,but he was never a true leader so maybe thats why

Kloden

2nd Tour de France x 2

Overall Victories-

Tirreno Adriatico
Paris Nice
Tour de Romandie
Vuelta pais Vasco

Wiggans (on the Road)

Stage - Giro

Discuss.

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:

well he podiumed at the TDF last year and i don't see anyone but bruyneel saying he can win the TDF this year.

i think guys like gesink are more overated. i would have said rogers and farrar too earlier this year but they are riding better.

ed rader

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
None on the list IMO, but I would rate Levi Leipheimer and Tommy Danielson as over-rated riders. Lance is not over-rated for his previous achievements, but some people/media are over-rating him for his potential this year.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Jan the Man said:
Kloden

2nd Tour de France x 2

Overall Victories-

Tirreno Adriatico
Paris Nice
Tour de Romandie
Vuelta pais Vasco

Wiggans (on the Road)

Stage - Giro

Discuss.

If your saying what i think your saying i agree. Noone realy talks up klodens ability even though he does have an impressive history. Mean while everyone talks up wiggins and in the giro defends him when he started going backwards saying he was saving himself for the tour.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Timing is all that matters regarding this question. And as far as I'm concerned right now Armstrong is undoubtedly the most overrated rider around, right now. To be considered a contender to take the TdF is blindly delusional, considering the kind of year he is having so far, regardless his 1.6 mile prologue result in Luxembourg.(which if you extended that distance out to about 3-4 miles, the gap might have been quite big)
Given his age and his performances this year, if his name wasn't Armstrong, he wouldn't even be on the radar. Sorry, fans.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
its probably waiting til the end of wiggins' career before deciding he is overrated but at the moment a career with 3 olympic golds, a few world championships (albeit on the track but still) and a 4th place in the tour on his first attempt at gc, you cant really say that is overrated. none of the above riders are overrated as they have all achieved within their sport.

the definition of overrated = emile heskey

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
imo, all of the overrated riders are the young guys who noone knows what to expect from them really. but many still jump on the bandwagon anyway. sagan, porte, nibali, kreuziger, boassen hagen, et al. all potentially massive talents. but a "let's wait and see" attitude is strongly advised.

remember chavanel? popovych? danielson? :rolleyes:

spanky wanderlust said:
imo, all of the overrated riders are the young guys who noone knows what to expect from them really. but many still jump on the bandwagon anyway. sagan, porte, nibali, kreuziger, boassen hagen, et al. all potentially massive talents. but a "let's wait and see" attitude is strongly advised.

remember chavanel? popovych? danielson? :rolleyes:

There should perhaps be another thread for the disappointments. I don't think Popovych or Cunego are overrated, but they certainly haven't turned into the riders they could and perhaps should have done.

As a domestique, Big George isn't overrated, but as a classics rider he always is. He is the ultimate 'wait and watch' rider, never makes his own move in the races. Always gets a good placement but never looks like winning.

TRENDING THREADS