• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who overcame the greatest career setback?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who overcame the greatest career setback?

• Remco Evenepoel

• Lance Armstrong

• Marco Pantani

• Greg Lemond

• Other/Vino

Results are only viewable after voting.
Three names come to mind: Gregory James LeMond

Lost somewhere between a third and two-thirds of his blood volume in his hunting accident, saved by a combination of his huge heart and lungs and the fortuitous presence of a police helicopter close to the scene when twenty minutes from death.

Returned to racing in 1987 with dozens of pellets still inside him (he still has some by his heart) though the limited race programme and poor results continued in 1988, before he finally showed some form in the last week of the 1989 Giro.

Then...

Three names come to mind: Gregory James LeMond

Lost somewhere between a third and two-thirds of his blood volume in his hunting accident, saved by a combination of his huge heart and lungs and the fortuitous presence of a police helicopter close to the scene when twenty minutes from death.

Returned to racing in 1987 with dozens of pellets still inside him (he still has some by his heart) though the limited race programme and poor results continued in 1988, before he finally showed some form in the last week of the 1989 Giro.

Then...

What? Something else happen in 1989?

The epicness of the 2022 Tour De France made me forget everything that came before it.

Reactions: Vino's Mum
Hard to decide. I love Pantani too but voted for Lemond's comeback from his shooting accident because I just couldn't bring myself to vote for Lance. But yes, being pronounced dead after stage 3 cancer spreading through his body then to be able to return to racing professionally is hard to top.

staubsauger puts Armstrong's comeback in context regardless of what we think of him as a human.

On Lemond, he always said he was strongest in 1986. We never saw peak Lemond because of that accident. What if.

Armstrong. I cant see how anyone could compare injuries to stage 3 cancer.
Actually, it was stage 4 cancer for Armstrong I think -- metastasized to abdomen, lungs, and brain. In addition to the extensive chemo regimen (prior to the regimen), he had to have brain surgery to remove tumors. Lemond's injury was different but also incredibly debilitating. He took a chestful of turkey shot, and some of the pellets couldn't be removed. Both of those comeback stories are amazing, as are others in the sport.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cookster15
I think Froome deserves a mention up on that list. Yeah, he may never win a top end race again, but what he came back from to actually race again is surely up there.

When I started reading your post I assumed you were going to refer to blood parasite bilharzia!
Anyway, surely it has to be Lance Armstrong, despite his rampant blood doping.
When his testicular cancer spread all over his body, including his brain his doctor told him he had something like a 50/50 chance of survival.
The doctor lied. He wanted to give Armstrong hope because at best his survival chances were more like 15%.

Reactions: Fantastico

TRENDING THREADS