• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who should be Vincenzo Nibali's Chief Lt. in the Tour?

Currently it has been said to be Aru. But Landa is showing form so Astana might consider bringing him in July instead of Aru. Plus you still have Jakob Fuglsang who is a tested domestique and is showing form.
Then you have the support of Westra, Scarponi and Grivko.

Froome has Porte, Roche, Nieve, Thomas and Poels
Contador has Majka, Kiserlovski, Rogers and Paulinho
Quintana has Valverde, Izaguirre, Inxausti and Herrada

Dark horse will the AG2r who will come to the tour with Peraud, Bardet, Vuillermoz and possible Pozzovivo

Re: Who should be Vicenzo Nibali's Chief Lieutenant in the T

valverde won't play domestique for quintana

Whatever I think we shouldn't forget that nibali already has some great domestiques like fuglsang but if you want to know whome i would choose from this giro team i would say landa, just because he was super strong today and in madonna

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
Fuglsang obviously. Scarponi 3rd in the hierarchy. Aru to carry bottles. And Landa to focus on the Vuelta.

100%,surprised people are curious,would have thought Birdsong was nailed on.

Re:

Bushman said:
Landa should NOT go to the tour.

Nibali will have Fuglsang and Scarponi as well as Taraamae and Kangert, that should be plenty mountain support.

I think Landa should go to the Tour...its a climbers race without TT and with his form he could win it ....imagine that ....He is climbing better than Contador at this Giro...He has beaten him in every MTF....
I know Contador is the better on GC but even Berts fans ahve to acknowledge Landa is the stronger climber so far

Aru should skip Tour & go to the Vuelta

Re: Who should be Vicenzo Nibali's Chief Lieutenant in the T

Gigs_98 said:
valverde won't play domestique for quintana
I think he'll definitely be a second card for them to play unless he loses some time. But if there's less than five guys left on a mountain, Valverde is going to be the one pulling. He'll be swinging his elbow and bitching about it, but I doubt he'll get much help.

Anyway, I'm betting neither Landa nor Aru are going to be at the Tour.

Re: Re:

HelloDolly said:
Bushman said:

Nibali will have Fuglsang and Scarponi as well as Taraamae and Kangert, that should be plenty mountain support.

I think Landa should go to the Tour...its a climbers race without TT and with his form he could win it ....imagine that ....He is climbing better than Contador at this Giro...He has beaten him in every MTF....
I know Contador is the better on GC but even Berts fans ahve to acknowledge Landa is the stronger climber so far

No, he can't win the freaking Tour. Even if he could with current shape, he would never be able to keep it for three weeks at the Tour.

Even for Contador the Giro-Tour double seems unlikely (but not impossible), how the hell should Landa be able to do it?

Re:

SeriousSam said:
Landa may well be a better climber than Nibali
Not yet. Nibali proved last year (with his data) that he is as good as Froome and maybe even Contador. Landa is still slightly below Contador, Froome and Nibali. I think the Aru of Monte Grappa would've been as good as Landa now. In 1 or 2 years time, however, Landa will be better than anyone else, with Aru and Quintana desperately trying to keep up. Majka will be some way behind, though.

HelloDolly said:
Bushman said:

One on One Landa has not dropped Contador

IndianCyclist said:
HelloDolly said:
Bushman said:

Watch last 3km of the stage....

damian13ster said:
IndianCyclist said:
HelloDolly said:
Bushman said:

Watch the last 10 kms before the Mortirolo and the first part of the climb. Then watch the descent from Mortirolo to Edolo and the first part up Aprica......... :)

May 13, 2015
Visit site

damian13ster said:
IndianCyclist said:
HelloDolly said:
Bushman said:

Watch the rest of the stage. They were never riding one on one.

Re:

damian13ster said:
They were riding at the very end. So he did drop him one on one. Of course, circumstances were different from usual but the statement that he didn't drop Contador one on one is a lie
Technically yes. Let's see if that will be the case on Sestriere/Finestre, when circumstances are not "different" anymore. Anyway, great ride again from Landa. One has to respect the initial loyalty he showed a helpless Aru.

May 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

damian13ster said:
They were riding at the very end. So he did drop him one on one. Of course, circumstances were different from usual but the statement that he didn't drop Contador one on one is a lie

Not really, the circumstances are normal for a GT. A stronger rider gets some space and wins a couple of stages. Contador is riding for the GC and has not been in a position where he can focus on Landa.

We will see what happens in the coming stages. Maybe Landa will be able to drop Contador even when he is marking him. Maybe not.

Re:

SeriousSam said:

This has been also said about Aru. He looks ballistic in Giro because the field is quite mediocre with Aru constantly struggling and dropped by Trofimov, Amador on fourth, the great Dutch sensation turned from break contender to genuine mountain goat and the eternal Hesjedal. Porte is already gone and Uran is not worth mentioning. Contador is either riding only for GC, holding back for Le Tour, not in the greatest shape or he can't climb as he used to do.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Rollthedice said:
SeriousSam said:

This has been also said about Aru. He looks ballistic in Giro because the field is quite mediocre with Aru constantly struggling and dropped by Trofimov, Amador on fourth, the great Dutch sensation turned from break contender to genuine mountain goat and the eternal Hesjedal. Porte is already gone and Uran is not worth mentioning.

Yeah, just like Nibali looked ballistic against Pinot, bardet and péraud. Uran, old Evans, Mozquerra and Peter Velits. You welcome.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site

Rollthedice said:
SeriousSam said:

This has been also said about Aru. He looks ballistic in Giro because the field is quite mediocre with Aru constantly struggling and dropped by Trofimov, Amador on fourth, the great Dutch sensation turned from break contender to genuine mountain goat and the eternal Hesjedal. Porte is already gone and Uran is not worth mentioning. Contador is either riding only for GC, holding back for Le Tour, not in the greatest shape or he can't climb as he used to do.

Perhaps you're right. I expected more impressive numbers up the Mortirolo. They were slow.

May 26, 2015
Visit site

BlurryVII said:
Rollthedice said:
SeriousSam said:

This has been also said about Aru. He looks ballistic in Giro because the field is quite mediocre with Aru constantly struggling and dropped by Trofimov, Amador on fourth, the great Dutch sensation turned from break contender to genuine mountain goat and the eternal Hesjedal. Porte is already gone and Uran is not worth mentioning.

Yeah, just like Nibali looked ballistic against Pinot, bardet and péraud. Uran, old Evans, Mozquerra and Peter Velits. You welcome.

lol, you adore contador so much that almost hate all his opponents. they are all underrated for you. seriously, do you find yourself objective?