• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who was the 1st true, through EPO and/or blood transfusion enhanced TdF-Winner

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who in your opinion was the first true EPO and/or blood transfusing TdF-Winner?

• other (please clarify)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

straitjacker

BANNED
Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
I believe that were lead shots.
Which, besides the permanent direct effect on oxygen carrying capacity, affected the vestibular system in the way you're mentioning. So he needed to ride fast just to keep himself upright.
Also, the side effect of the lead shots on his extremities allowed him to develop a rare ability. Inequality of his legs have caused an unique, a flywheel-like, effect on the pedals. This effect balanced the vestibular deficit a bit, as well.
Now, it makes sense.

straitjacker said:
Speaking about EPO, I think we can say with certainty that Indurain has won the Tour(s) with it's assistance. But the first one who has done it could be Lemond (I'm not buying the iron injections story).

LeMond volunteered the story. It's not like someone caught him with a needle in his arm and he said, "Oh...these are just iron injections."

You're reading into the history with hindsight. No journalists were discussing EPO in 1989, and he was simply asked a question and he volunteered the info. EPO was not a topic of wide discussion or public knowledge at this point.

red_flanders said:
LeMond volunteered the story. It's not like someone caught him with a needle in his arm and he said, "Oh...these are just iron injections."

You're reading into the history with hindsight. No journalists were discussing EPO in 1989, and he was simply asked a question and he volunteered the info. EPO was not a topic of wide discussion or public knowledge at this point.

Charitable.

And here I thought he was just LeMond bashing to bait us.

Dave.

D-Queued said:
Don't forget that he always tested worse that Joe Average when it came to his cardio capabilities.

His lungs are so small that he can barely blow out one birthday candle.

Then there is the fact that one leg is 3 cm shorter than the other, he is blind in one eye so he doesn't have binocular vision and his deaf ear severely affects his ability to balance.

All of the above, of course, being more plausible than saying he used EPO or that his Iron shots were really transfusions.

Now, can someone explain why straitjacker's post is still there?

Dave.

LOL, Hilarious!!:D

Charitable.

And here I thought he was just LeMond bashing to bait us.

Dave.

I think he was, but that got slapped down.;):D

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
straitjacker said:
I believe that were lead shots.
Which, besides the permanent direct effect on oxygen carrying capacity, affected the vestibular system in the way you're mentioning. So he needed to ride fast just to keep himself upright.
Also, the side effect of the lead shots on his extremities allowed him to develop a rare ability. Inequality of his legs have caused an unique, a flywheel-like, effect on the pedals. This effect balanced the vestibular deficit a bit, as well.
Now, it makes sense.

Is it doping or some form of cheating if all the lead pellets still in him helped him go faster downhill? Lead pellet doping. Bet you didn't think of that. I gave you a freebie. Go run with it.

MonkeyFace said:
Is it doping or some form of cheating if all the lead pellets still in him helped him go faster downhill? Lead pellet doping. Bet you didn't think of that. I gave you a freebie. Go run with it.

LOL, at the time, that was a sophisticated form of doping wasn't it? Lead pellet doping. Yep, that's the smoking gun.:D