• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will be the big surprise/revelation of the next Giro D'Italia?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Surprise of the Giro.

• Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
42x16ss said:
Are we only talking climbers/potential GC types? I think that Luke Durbridge, Michael Matthews and Tom Jelte Slagter are young riders who could impress at the next level (GT's) looking at their current early season form. Each of them should be capable of pulling out a stage win.

I am interested in following these rider too. We already know Durbridge can win or get very close to win competitive TT's. Lets see if he can beat Cancellara and Wiggins in the Giro. Should Matthews target the points jersey and be in contention deep in the race, it would be a nice surprise, because we know he can win difficult "sprints".

Dazed and Confused said:
I am interested in following these rider too. We already know Durbridge can win or get very close to win competitive TT's. Lets see if he can beat Cancellara and Wiggins in the Giro. Should Matthews target the points jersey and be in contention deep in the race, it would be a nice surprise, because we know he can win difficult "sprints".
That would be good to see. Matthews chose to skip the Tour Down Under this year with the hope of being competitive in the spring. He was looking very strong at the Bay crits this year and is still looking to build form so hopefully he starts to deliver on his talent.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
42x16ss said:
Are we only talking climbers/potential GC types? I think that Luke Durbridge, Michael Matthews and Tom Jelte Slagter are young riders who could impress at the next level (GT's) looking at their current early season form. Each of them should be capable of pulling out a stage win.

Also look forward to seeing Aru, Majka and Dombrowski from the list above. Exciting talents.

durbridge will never be a gc rider. above all his shortcomings, like can't climb for **** he also lacks the engine.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
durbridge will never be a gc rider. above all his shortcomings, like can't climb for **** he also lacks the engine.

Yeah he's a prologue rider but doesn't have the undurance to do something else. He really failed in the longer TT's last year, except the ones with bad competition. And idd I really can't see him climbing well, ever.

He could however develop as a classics rider, especially Roubaix could suit him. But that's about it, those track riders always have a hard time improving on their U23 results.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Pentacycle said:
Yeah he's a prologue rider but doesn't have the undurance to do something else. He really failed in the longer TT's last year, except the ones with bad competition. And idd I really can't see him climbing well, ever.

He could however develop as a classics rider, especially Roubaix could suit him. But that's about it, those track riders always have a hard time improving on their U23 results.

to win roubaix you really need an engine. durbridge doesn't have it. as is common with (australian) track guys, see also meyer brothers, bobridge and many others

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Pentacycle said:

Uhm, the guy is 21. Let's give him some time and see if he still 'fails' at TT'ing.

Pentacycle said:

Critérium du Dauphiné, Stage 4 : Villié-Morgon - Bourg-en-Bresse I.T.T. (53 km)

1. [GBR] WIGGINS Bradley SKY 1h03'12" 40
2. [GER] MARTIN Tony OPQ 34" 25
3. [AUS] ROGERS Michael SKY 01'11" 15
4. [NED] KELDERMAN Wilco RAB 01'25" 10
5. [FRA] CHAVANEL Sylvain OPQ 01'33" 5
6. [GBR] FROOME Chris SKY 01'33" 3
7. [AUS] DURBRIDGE Luke OGE 01'37" 2
8. [AUS] EVANS Cadel BMC 01'43" 1
9. [GBR] MILLAR David GRS 01'51" 0
10. [ESP] SANCHEZ GIL Luis Leon RAB 01'53" 0

What more did you expect from a first year pro? BTW no one's saying Durbridge will be a GT contender.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
to win roubaix you really need an engine. durbridge doesn't have it. as is common with (australian) track guys, see also meyer brothers, bobridge and many others

Actually I didn't say he'll become a top classics contender, just that he could be a good classics domestique. Atm he has barely any classics experience, so he can get better at riding on cobbles and handling the distance. Btw what is your definition of 'engine'? Is it power, endurance or a combination?

Der Effe said:
Uhm, the guy is 21. Let's give him some time and see if he still 'fails' at TT'ing.

Compared to what he did at the U23 WC's and Nationals TT last year, the rest of his year was disappointing. Of course I'll give him time, but he didn't show any progress during last year imo. A guy like Kelderman, who is built as a climber, beat him in the Dauphine.

Pentacycle said:
Actually I didn't say he'll become a top classics contender, just that he could be a good classics domestique. Atm he has barely any classics experience, so he can get better at riding on cobbles and handling the distance. Btw what is your definition of 'engine'? Is it power, endurance or a combination?

For reasons beyond my comprehension, on this board, big engine actually means big fuel tank.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
potential to be a gc rider and gc rider is the same thing. I read what you said and think it's nonsense. durbridge can't climb for **** and never will. also the australian road championships. seriously LOL

reread again Ryo. He's not saying he is a potential gc rider

He's saying, what about the non-gc potential riders in the giro ;)

which to me means something like : are we only discussing gc riders, if not -> there's also durbridge matthews and slagter (where matthews is clearly not a gc rider, so it should be ovious he is talking about non gc riders)

Ryo Hazuki said:
potential to be a gc rider and gc rider is the same thing. I read what you said and think it's nonsense. durbridge can't climb for **** and never will. also the australian road championships. seriously LOL
I said he could win a stage and impress while doing so. That's all. Never said he could climb, that's why I specifically asked if this thread was only about GC/Climber types!

The Aus champs was in response to your comment on his engine, which isn't bad for a 21 year old.

Slow down and take in what people are saying and you will probably end up in less slanging matches ;)

Pentacycle said:

Compared to what he did at the U23 WC's and Nationals TT last year, the rest of his year was disappointing. Of course I'll give him time, but he didn't show any progress during last year imo. A guy like Kelderman, who is built as a climber, beat him in the Dauphine.
He won Sarthe with only two teammates left for the last two stages (one of whom was also a neo-pro). For a 20 year old that's not half bad.

He'll never be a GT contender but this kid has huge ability.

TRENDING THREADS