• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will be the next home winner of a Grand Tour?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I looked at the maps and it's clear that Alaphilippe doesn't stand a chance. He's from central France, like, real central. And GT winners from big European countries in these times have to come from the outer parts of a country, close to the coast, like Thomas from Cardiff, Valverde from Murcia, Nibali from Sicily. So obviously Enric Mas will be the next Spanish winner. Benoît Cosnefroy will win the Tour de France. Or Alexys Brunel. But I'm leaning towards Cosnefroy.
For Italy you could say that Ciccone is a good bet then, but have you thought about Pozzovivo...?

Contador is from Madrid. Don't know if you are counting him or not.

My opinion is that Enric Mas is the most likely of the current riders to win his home Grand Tour. One of the big reasons for this is that Movistar specifically does target la Vuelta and always puts a strong team in that race as it is their home race. Yes it would take a few things working in his favor, but I think he has the best chance.

I think Pinot is the most likely, but he's running out of chances to line his planets up. A Vuelta for Landa or Mas doesn't seem impossible but probably relies on some more likely winners not being there. But if there's anything predictable about this sport it's that it's unpredictable....

Ullrich was supposed to win 5 Tours, Quintana was due a decade of dominance, even Bernal is being written off 18 months after the first of many Tours he was "supposed" to win - you never know what's around the corner.

Well, Ullrich fooled around which became evident quite soon (but I was too young to understand his potential when he broke through (4 years old)). I never really bought into Quintana as a future world dominator.

Pogacar and Evenepoel seem better still.

Bernal could hopefully give them a run for their money but the problems will arise in the ITT for him.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Pinot to do, what Contador and Froome couldn't. I believe #GiroTourDouble2021 lets gooooo

Jokes aside, I think no home winner the next four or five years. Most likely of the current crop would be Mas for the Vuelta, but I can't help but think of him as a Spanish Kruijswijk - good and with unmatched recovery, but not Tour-winning good. But it is difficult to tell, since anyone can suddenly pop up like Cobo, or a Tour 2014 scenario happens, where pre-race favorites crash out, which could pave the road for a 2nd tier rider to become a national celebrity.

I honestly can't see any of the current group winning a GT, Mas is most likely but will only happen if he gets lucky or has a big improvement. I think more likely to be some random guy we've never heard of now - cyclists these days go from teenage amateurs to grand tour winners in like 2 years could easily happen to a French/Italian/Spanish guy.

I looked at the maps and it's clear that Alaphilippe doesn't stand a chance. He's from central France, like, real central. And GT winners from big European countries in these times have to come from the outer parts of a country, close to the coast, like Thomas from Cardiff, Valverde from Murcia, Nibali from Sicily. So obviously Enric Mas will be the next Spanish winner. Benoît Cosnefroy will win the Tour de France. Or Alexys Brunel. But I'm leaning towards Cosnefroy.
For Italy you could say that Ciccone is a good bet then, but have you thought about Pozzovivo...?

Interesting point, and come to think of it I've never heard of a successful Australian who comes from the centre of the country..

Seriously, I don't see a Frenchman winning the Tour any time soon. As much as I've become a fan of Alaphilippe, I don't see him there, not with riders like Pogacar around. I agree that there is always a high rate of unpredictability in cycling, so who knows, Aurélien Paret-Peintre might end up winning it, or whoever.
Among the Italians I don't see anyone for the Giro, either. Somehow I like the idea of Ganna winning it, but on the other hand a time trialist at Ineos'... hm, would be exciting like melting ice-cream.
A Spanish rider will win the Vuelta in the next years, I'm sure. Might be Enric Mas with more time trialing. (Might be Raul Garcia.) Juan Ayuso. They got enough riders with potential, and since riders from other countries do not prioritize the Vuelta like they do, well, also it's the GT with the "worst" competition, so if someone targets it specifically and is good enough, he can win it without being a beast.

If a lack of even semi viable contenders over a long stretch of years starts to tank domestic interest in the Giro, RCS absolutely would go full “Cancellara wins the Tour de Suisse” for Ganna. But it’s not clear that a lack of likely local winners actually would tank interest

I doubt that would work anyway as it would suit Evenepoel even more so Ganna would still be heavily up against it.

The third option I see is Pavel Sivakov. I don't think it's totally out of the question that he will change his citizenship sometime down the road and he definitely has the talent to challenge for a win in the future.

You're saying that there isn't a possibility that the next French TdF winner will be an imported one?

Yeah, Lennard Kämna should do it, then...

Oh, come on! Kämna wasn't born that close to the sea!
(Also, the map appears to not be completely accurate. They've moved the birthplaces of Sieberg and Zwiehoff into the North Sea, for some reason...)

• Haha
I think Pinot is the most likely, but he's running out of chances to line his planets up. A Vuelta for Landa or Mas doesn't seem impossible but probably relies on some more likely winners not being there. But if there's anything predictable about this sport it's that it's unpredictable....

Ullrich was supposed to win 5 Tours, Quintana was due a decade of dominance, even Bernal is being written off 18 months after the first of many Tours he was "supposed" to win - you never know what's around the corner.

Can't forget about Dumoulin in that regard. He was so hyped after that 2015 Vuelta, six years later and he has 1 Giro and an imminent retirement to show for it.

Juan Ayuso will be the next home winner of a GT.

I agree, he could very well be able to win the Vuelta within perhaps 5 years and its unlikely someone else will succeed until then. Landa and Mas or Pinot, Alaphilippe or in some years Gaudu may have a small chance if they get perfect parcours and some luck, but it still seems unlikely so I think we have to wait for Ayusu and hope he lives up to his dominant juniortime. A final joker is Carlos Rodriguez that was also a brilliant junior and is a year ahead of Ayusu and with the usual Ineos magic a Vuelta win is not impossible in 3-4 years.

Well, Ullrich fooled around which became evident quite soon (but I was too young to understand his potential when he broke through (4 years old)). I never really bought into Quintana as a future world dominator.

Pogacar and Evenepoel seem better still.

Bernal could hopefully give them a run for their money but the problems will arise in the ITT for him.

Bernal’s back is a big issue as well.

I wish people would stop lumping Bernal and Pogacar with Evenepoel

The hype for Evenepoel is over the top and embarrassing

We are talking about 2 Tour de France winners and as yet a youngster who rode away on some secondary or not at top from fields in lower races and is unproven as a GT contender not to mention winner .He hasnt been on a podium of a GT or finished a 3 week race in contention .Wining the Tour is more than legs

Give it a rest and respect the Tour champions who have earned their position

I wonder sometimes about people on here and bandwagon jumping
When the kid has proven himself in a a GT then ok but this is just bandwagon jumping hype at present

Reactions: Eeslliw and will-10

TRENDING THREADS