• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will fill the final 2 podium places?

Who will fill the final 2 podium places?

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I personally think that Alberto Contador has rapped this race up. It will be a parade into Paris. Who will fill the final 2 podium places? Please tell all...

A

Anonymous

would still be nice to have contador as an option.. not everyone still thinks he will win..

Personally im still awaiting the JB stitchup..

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
imo wiggins wont make podium. its all the damn poms out in force talking him up. the last week is a very hard one and i rekon he will crack before its over. maybe next year tho.

just because lance said he wont win doesnt mean he cant make podium. Astana wont sacrifice kloden or lance unless they get desperate and it all goes down to who can survive the attacks.

1. contador
2. schleck
3. lance

Reactions: gregrowlerson
I have a feeling Sastre will get a result on the Ventoux.
I also think the Grand Bornand stage will be "kicked off" early, by Saxo, for Andy.
They will try and make the stage similar to the Fayence stage of Paris-Nice; somehow trying to isolate Contador, with the Schlecks in tandem.
Will it work, thought? That's another matter.
Nibali is a demon decender and may try and take time, on tomorrow's finish.

They are my three, vying for the two spots.

Lance will suffer on both these mountain stages, probably Wiggins, too.

I note that Cadel isn't even an option!

Based on what we've seen already (assuming Wiggins doesn't collapse on Ventoux, or before), I'd say Wiggins second, Nibali third.

I am also assuming that Kloden will lose time in the mountains - either on his own, or dragging Lance up.

If Andy was better at TTing, he'd be up there. Maybe if he attacks and gets a lot of time, he can get on the podium.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
The race isn't over 'till Paris . . .as the Levi crash showed.

A. Schleck better do some dancing in the mountains if he wants second or third though, as he's not much of a TT'r. Same for Sastre.

Wiggins, who knows what up with him, will he continue to surprise, or will he hit the wall climbing? . . Or will he spend so much energy his TT will suck?

That's why we watch.

One thing for sure though, wherever Armstrong finishes, the anti and pro LA crowd will continue to delude themselves as to why he finished where he did. CN must love the traffic this brings to their site.:)

How can you have Vande Velde and Martin as options but no Cadel?

I think stage 17 is going to see a bunch of fireworks starting fairly early and several guys that are now sitting in the top 10 are going to lose several minutes. The Schleck bros will probably see it as their best chance to hurt guys like Wiggins, Armstrong, and Kloden and also possibly force a bad day out of Alberto.

The best chance for Astana to get two on the podium is if Lance completely sacrificed himself and worked for Klodi and AC, but sounds like he still is trying to finish in the top 5 or on the podium.

I say the podium will be filled out with Nibali and Schlecklet. Kloden could take one of those spots if he is given clearance to do his own thing instead of being stuck on Armstrong-detail.

Outside podium shots for Sastre and Wiggins.

Outside-outside shots for Evans, Martin, Armstrong, and F Schleck.

No shot for CVV.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
If Contador and Armstrong lead Kloden up to a stage win, and then Contador and Kloden lead Armstrong up to a stage win, and then Contador does his thing, I could see Contador, Kloden, and Armstrong coming in 1, 2, 3.

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
jaylew said:
The best chance for Astana to get two on the podium is if Lance completely sacrificed himself and worked for Klodi and AC, but sounds like he still is trying to finish in the top 5 or on the podium.

I think Armstrong's intent is for Klodi to sacrifice himself for him to make podium and Andreas top 5. And for all this talk about the tour being over for Armstrong, he may say that, but I wouldn't be surprized if he does something to sabotage Contador.

May 15, 2009
Visit site
I'm personally still pulling for Andy, but after the last stage find it difficult to imagine him besting Contador unless Alberto has un jour sans. Curious if, should Contador's lead be enough at the time, Astana will let Armstrong try for Ventoux...if of course he's feeling strong enough.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
klodifan said:
I think Armstrong's intent is for Klodi to sacrifice himself for him to make podium and Andreas top 5. And for all this talk about the tour being over for Armstrong, he may say that, but I wouldn't be surprized if he does something to sabotage Contador.

Ha. For the next week I'll have an image of Contador sleeping with his bike stuck in my head.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
singlspeeder said:
I'm personally still pulling for Andy, but after the last stage find it difficult to imagine him besting Contador unless Alberto has un jour sans. Curious if, should Contador's lead be enough at the time, Astana will let Armstrong try for Ventoux...if of course he's feeling strong enough.

Astana might, but about twenty other guys in the peloton won't.

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
so should we just give him the jersey now and award the win?

class week of racing ahead.
if ac punctures in the test or wiggo rides a stormer - brad in the jersey?

carlos and Andy away tomorrow or AC forgets to take his meds!

race is on

At this point I'm thinking

1. Alberto
2. Wiggins
3. Sastre

I'm going with Wiggins and Schleck rather than Andy because although Andy is climbing better, I think these guys are climbing almost as good, and can out TT Andy more than enough to make up the diff.

I'm also picking Wiggins over Sastre because, again, I think Wiggins will take more out of Sastre than Sastre will gain out of Wiggins on the mountains, plus Wiggins has over 2 minutes on Sastre right now.

Andy is almost a minute behind Wiggins, so Sastre has less time to make up there to knock him off the podium.

I think all the other contenders will lose enough time in the mountains and/or TT to Wiggins and Schleck.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
#2 is the most important position

a friend said some that i was thought was funny - no2 is the most important position in the race. coz either by the end, or just after, the leader will be proven to have dopped elevating the number 2.

ala Rasmussen, Llandis style. =)

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Andre.J said:
At this point I'd have to say the 3 A's

1. Alberto
2. Andy
3. Andreas

+100

- also concerned about LA's ego tho', as others have said, can he bring himself to give Klodi his freedom - particularly on the Ventoux which he would dearly love to finally conquer. LA win there? NO chance - watch Bertie, Sastre and Schecklet fight it out. Unless Bertie has a comfortable GC lead and then AN Other may be able to take his chance at a blast for glory, Nibali, Martin? Surely not Wiggo . . . . . .

TRENDING THREADS