Who will win 2013 GIRO?

Page 26 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win 2013 GIRO?

  • Others

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0
Dec 28, 2012
62
0
0
Ryo Hazuki said:
you shouldn't judge races by looking up results afterwards, when you clealry haven't got a clue what I'm talking about.

he also won the queenstage in trentino 2011, trhat's what I was talking about :rolleyes:
Wow he won 1 stage.. that clearly proofs it, your right
 
Dec 28, 2012
62
0
0
the asian said:
Regarding Gesnik, his chances of winning/podium finish will heavily depend on whether he has fully recovered from his injury.
While been surprised by his new found TT ability, his climbing was much worse last year.

Heck even in the TT, he lost time on the climbs while doing well on the flat.

Samu is another interesting contender and at 35 after recovering from a injury, I would think a win is very difficult but a podium spot isn't beyond him.

Good to see Nibali getting strong support. He's still my bet for victory.
Agreed, he needs to improve in the climbs, but im sure he will after he is fully recovered from his injuries. For now, he is not a sure bet as it depends how much he improves. But I'm willing to take that bet.
 
Dec 28, 2012
62
0
0
Ryo Hazuki said:
so? the point was that henao worked for uran, unlike what that guy said
I agree that I didn't see the Stelvio stage, but I saw the other stages, and he didn't work in those. and I'm not "that guy" my name at this forum is Leendert82. ;)
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,579
0
0
the asian said:
Regarding Gesnik, his chances of winning/podium finish will heavily depend on whether he has fully recovered from his injury.
While been surprised by his new found TT ability, his climbing was much worse last year.

Heck even in the TT, he lost time on the climbs while doing well on the flat.
That was already the case before his leg break. In the Pais Vasco TT last year, he did better than anyone on the descent/flat... and he had about the 40th time or so on the climb. Since two years he really has to drag himself up the climbs, it's sad but it's true.

What always surprised me is that Breukink kept on saying "Gesink needs a climb in a TT"... no he doesn't, quite the contrary actually. That Breukink really had his finger on the pulse.

Leendert82 said:
I agree that I didn't see the Stelvio stage, but I saw the other stages, and he didn't work in those. and I'm not "that guy" my name at this forum is Leendert82. ;)
He did work a bit, like Tony Martin did for Cav in HTC: ride one or two k on the front in the final. But that's as good a way as any to avoid crashes, so it works both ways.
 
Jun 4, 2011
405
0
0
will10 said:
Surely Scarponi should be looking at a lifetime suspension for a 2nd offence now?
i don't want to go in clinic matters because this is not the place. However Pozzato and Visconti got 3 months for talking with Ferrari, so since it will be an offence with a less than 6 months suspension it probably won't count as a 2nd doping offence.

So probably Scarponi will start the Giro, but being one year older i doubt he will podium anyway.
 
Dec 28, 2012
62
0
0
theyoungest said:
That was already the case before his leg break. In the Pais Vasco TT last year, he did better than anyone on the descent/flat... and he had about the 40th time or so on the climb. Since two years he really has to drag himself up the climbs, it's sad but it's true.

What always surprised me is that Breukink kept on saying "Gesink needs a climb in a TT"... no he doesn't, quite the contrary actually. That Breukink really had his finger on the pulse.
In the Tour of Suisse this year he rode a good TT and there was a climb in it. I agree that he is not impressive as he used to be in the climbs, but as I said before that has its reasons. The switch between a pure climber and a ****ty time trialer (much worse than F. Sleck) to a good climber and a good time trialer is hard. Im sure he will find the right balance in 2013. And if he does he has a shot for the titel
 
May 28, 2012
2,779
0
0
Leendert82 said:
In the Tour of Suisse this year he rode a good TT and there was a climb in it. I agree that he is not impressive as he used to be in the climbs, but as I said before that has its reasons. The switch between a pure climber and a ****ty time trialer (much worse than F. Sleck) to a good climber and a good time trialer is hard. Im sure he will find the right balance in 2013. And if he does he has a shot for the titel
He didn't climb very well in that TdS TT as well, and if you think his climbing was bad in 2011 when his TT improved, you need to rewatch the final of the Dauphine queen stage that year. Gesink was arguably the best climber of the Tour favourites there despite still not being in super shape, and he was still just testing his form with several attacks. Tour winners Evans and Wiggins lost 38 and 23 seconds on him, if he hadn't crashed he could have done a good Tour. But that's just part of being a complete rider.

I don't see him do well in the Giro either, although the course suits him very well with the flat TT. He'll lose much time in the big mountain stages and hills.
 
Ryo Hazuki said:
I guess you were braindead during the stelvio stage then :rolleyes:
what about the stelvio stage? you mean that he waited for Uran and paced him in the last 3km when it was way too late at that point, since Uran's 5th position in gc was seriously threatened by De Gendt and Cunego from 35km out already? well boohoo :cool:
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,579
0
0
Leendert82 said:
In the Tour of Suisse this year he rode a good TT and there was a climb in it. I agree that he is not impressive as he used to be in the climbs, but as I said before that has its reasons. The switch between a pure climber and a ****ty time trialer (much worse than F. Sleck) to a good climber and a good time trialer is hard. Im sure he will find the right balance in 2013. And if he does he has a shot for the titel
That Suisse 2010 TT was an anomaly, he was already pretty decent in TTs. Schleck has never been a better time trialist than him. Unfortunately he got labeled an awful time trialist after that.

He has certainly gotten better at flat TTs, purely because his aero position is better. But he's gotten worse at hilly ones, where that doesn't matter as much.
 
cineteq said:
Cunego not riding the 2013 Giro because of Scarponi :rolleyes:
http://www.****iociclismo.it/?action=read&idnotizia=24941
Great news.
Let Cunego ride the Vuelta now for overall with a strong team to assist him and I'm sure he will be able to score big in Spain. The route should suit him and there might be pretty low competition. Good chances for a out-of-a-sudden comeback as a grand tour winner. Damiano rode a strong Giro last year (Scarponi in fact rode a shameful one). Sadly none of his attacks paid out, but he was the only one of the big names which was consistently trying to give it a go. At least he still managed to win a Grand Tour that way

Scarponi was always a nothing as a grand tour contender and will always be. Except of his one year with Savio nearly all his giro attempts were a big disappointment (this year, last year, also with Manolo). It was just so laughable Scarponi wore the maglia rosa at the start of this Giro, while he was declassed by Contador in 2011. Il Falco knew why he refused to wear il pirata's maglia rosa in 1999. But yeah il Falco at least was a champ, not a joke like Scarponi
 
staubsauger said:
Great news.
Let Cunego ride the Vuelta now for overall with a strong team to assist him and I'm sure he will be able to score big in Spain. The route should suit him and there might be pretty low competition. Good chances for a out-of-a-sudden comeback as a grand tour winner. Damiano rode a strong Giro last year (Scarponi in fact rode a shameful one). Sadly none of his attacks paid out, but he was the only one of the big names which was consistently trying to give it a go. At least he still managed to win a Grand Tour that way

Scarponi was always a nothing as a grand tour contender and will always be. Except of his one year with Savio nearly all his giro attempts were a big disappointment (this year, last year, also with Manolo). It was just so laughable Scarponi wore the maglia rosa at the start of this Giro, while he was declassed by Contador in 2011. Il Falco knew why he refused to wear il pirata's maglia rosa in 1999. But yeah il Falco at least was a champ, not a joke like Scarponi
Cunego has never really taken the vuelta seriously - as for scarponi I don't think he has been as bad as you suggest, two 4ths and a first isn't too shabby
 
May 28, 2012
2,779
0
0
therealtimshady said:
Cunego has never really taken the vuelta seriously - as for scarponi I don't think he has been as bad as you suggest, two 4ths and a first isn't too shabby
yeah Scarponi might still deliver in 2013, it all depends on his result in Tirreno.
Usually when he's good there his Giro is good too, which wasn't the case this year.
 
therealtimshady said:
Cunego has never really taken the vuelta seriously - as for scarponi I don't think he has been as bad as you suggest, two 4ths and a first isn't too shabby
Yeah it's a shame he never did. He could have produced some nice results there, if he just had tried to do so. Hopefully he is changing his opinion this year. It's seems to be an attractive choice for both Cunego and Lampre!

Well of course Scarponi isn't that bad. But he's not that big as he is behaving sometimes. And he never was 1st at the Giro
 
staubsauger said:
Yeah it's a shame he never did. He could have produced some nice results there, if he just had tried to do so. Hopefully he is changing his opinion this year. It's seems to be an attractive choice for both Cunego and Lampre!

Well of course Scarponi isn't that bad. But he's not that big as he is behaving sometimes. And he never was 1st at the Giro
I still think cunego will do the tour
 
cunego rode a fantastic vuelta in 09 while preparing for the worlds, a shame the form simply vanished from the end of the vuelta to the worlds where he looked very average :eek:

such a shame he missed on the rainbow jersey in 08, that was his only truly great year since 04.

he will most likely focus on the tour but to get a top 10 place as anonymously as he did in 2011 it just doesn't feel right for a rider like him who was the most attacking rider of the giro by far.
 
Parrulo said:
cunego rode a fantastic vuelta in 09 while preparing for the worlds, a shame the form simply vanished from the end of the vuelta to the worlds where he looked very average :eek:

such a shame he missed on the rainbow jersey in 08, that was his only truly great year since 04.

he will most likely focus on the tour but to get a top 10 place as anonymously as he did in 2011 it just doesn't feel right for a rider like him who was the most attacking rider of the giro by far.
The upside is that he probably won't have to deal with Ulissi again :D
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY