• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win 2013 GIRO?

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win 2013 GIRO?

• Others

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
May 19, 2011
Visit site
since tour is no longer Wiggins' object, i am almost certain Wiggins will not be a dominant rider in 2013 as we saw in 2012. But what level Wiggins will show up? Let's wait and see.

maxmartin said:
since tour is no longer Wiggins' object, i am almost certain Wiggins will not be a dominant rider in 2013 as we saw in 2012. But what level Wiggins will show up? Let's wait and see.
Agree in part, since I think it was his team that was dominant, not particularly him (unless you were referring to his ITTs). His train will not be the same either.

I hope riders like Scarponi and Pellizoti can get back to great form and feature in the GC battle. Nibali i think will have a very strong team and he will go well at races like the Ardennes and T-A beforehand, so that can hopefully give him confidence.

I don't know if Wiggins can win this but the long ITT increases his chance of winning. Still the climbs might be too hard for him (Porte or Henao might also find themselves doing a Froome in 2011 Vuelta).

I expect the race to be between Hesjedal, Nibali, Wiggins, a resurgent Scarponi and Pellizoti, with one of Nibali or Wiggins winning.

I would like to see a battle between Wiggins, Nibali, Purito Rodríguez and a strong Hesjedal like 2012, but also would like to see Rodríguez and Hesjedal strong on Tour and I think this isn't compatible :D

I don't believe Basso can do another great exibithion and think he will be out of podium.

maxmartin said:

Wiggins may not win as many races in 2013 but now he knows what he is capable of I have no doubts he will be in top shape for the Giro. I think he will just aim for the GTs in 2013. One to win and one to help and the Sky team will still be a strong one even if the team is juggled between both races. Only three riders can seriously challenge him : Rodriguez, Nibali and Ryder.

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I think Wiggins is not going to find easy the Giro. He will need a very good team and not having a bad day in the mountains.
I am not sure about a favourite, but if he performs well at Saltara, Purito can be a good contender. I don´t know why but I have several doubts with Nibali.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
in light of SKY turmoil right now and this might just be the start, you have to wonder how much that is going to affect Wiggins' preparation for Giro and Froom's preparation for Tour. Odds is not on their sides in my opinion.

maxmartin said:
in light of SKY turmoil right now and this might just be the start, you have to wonder how much that is going to affect Wiggins' preparation for Giro and Froom's preparation for Tour. Odds is not on their sides in my opinion.

Yepp, that'll be interesting.
If he's prepeared like in this years Tour, nobody will beat him, though.

I went with J Rod and am a bit surprised by how few votes he is getting, especially as he won the poll for best of 2012. Do people expect him and Ryder to be at the tour? They seem like better climbers to me than Nibali or Wiggins.

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I think Ryder has a better chance at repeating than most people think, to me it seems steeper grades (9% or more) are better for him because there is less attacking and more just riding guys off your wheel. Giro climbs are basically always harder than Tour climbs so the Giro fits him better than the Tour. Will be hard for him to beat Nibali or Wiggins if they both race the Giro though, should be a great race if we have Nibali, Wiggins, and Rodriquez all there as well.

phanatic said:
I went with J Rod and am a bit surprised by how few votes he is getting, especially as he won the poll for best of 2012. Do people expect him and Ryder to be at the tour? They seem like better climbers to me than Nibali or Wiggins.

There is a 50k time trial and its hard to see Purito take back the time he loses there in the mountains.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
phanatic said:

Hesjedal I think may do the tour also, he did so this year after winning the Giro but had to exit due to crashing. Purito has said he wants to podium in all 3 grand tours so we could see him go to the tour also, I think it would be a mistake though, better to arrive at the Vuelta fresh and in form and go for the top step of the podium then go after another 2nd or 3rd place.

The Hitch said:
There is a 50k time trial and its hard to see Purito take back the time he loses there in the mountains.

That is a big difference to 2011, and I hadn't paid enough attention to that. OTOH, it was only one bad day that cost him the Vuelta, and that was a massive gap to Froome in fourth place.

phanatic said:
That is a big difference to 2011, and I hadn't paid enough attention to that. OTOH, it was only one bad day that cost him the Vuelta, and that was a massive gap to Froome in fourth place.

In Vuelta he followed Contador and found out at the end he had put 9 minutes into froome. At this giro he will have to find those 4 or 5 minutes all on his own.

Afrank said:
Hesjedal I think may do the tour also, he did so this year after winning the Giro but had to exit due to crashing. Purito has said he wants to podium in all 3 grand tours so we could see him go to the tour also, I think it would be a mistake though, better to arrive at the Vuelta fresh and in form and go for the top step of the podium then go after another 2nd or 3rd place.

Hejsedal said when he announced he will do giro next year that the TOur is also plan of that. I think he even said that for him doing the giro is as good a way as any to prepare for the tour

Ryder is definitely targeting the Giro.
"As of right now, we approach the season the same as this year and really focus on the Giro and do the season leading into that"

Happy to know the Canadian will be defending his title, unlike that guy who won the Tour. :eek:

cineteq said:
Ryder is definitely targeting the Giro.
"As of right now, we approach the season the same as this year and really focus on the Giro and do the season leading into that"

Hold the phone. Ryder is targetting the Giro next year?

No wai!!!!

Next youll be telling us that Cavendish will be riding for OPQS and that USADA will release some reasoned decision thing.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
surprised Hesjedal has so few votes: JV has said defending the Giro is a big priority, Garmin should send their a-team.

Wiggins' ability to win will have a lot to do with the team Sky put behind him. Given that the rumours are he rides the Giro and Froome rides the Tour, who will get the pick of lieutenants and the most preperation dedicated to it?

Is Nibali really good to win a GT? He strikes me as a nearly-man.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:
surprised Hesjedal has so few votes: JV has said defending the Giro is a big priority, Garmin should send their a-team.

Wiggins' ability to win will have a lot to do with the team Sky put behind him. Given that the rumours are he rides the Giro and Froome rides the Tour, who will get the pick of lieutenants and the most preperation dedicated to it?

As I pointed in first page, that's the likely team for Sky I think. Which is a very good team.

Zandio - Lopez - Porte - Cataldo - Kireynka - Henao - Wiggins

And 2 flat doms, maybe Swift.

From that list only Kireynka I am unsure if does Giro or Tour imo.

JimmyFingers said:

He already won one so I'd say he is.