• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win 2013 GIRO?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win 2013 GIRO?

• Others

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Rodriguez or Nibali. Say Rodriguez because of climber's parcours and NIbali changing team. Nibali no worse than second though.

Wiggins? I don't see it.

Qs: Will Pozzovivo ride, or will AG2R save him for the Tour? How will Pellizotti perform? Will Rujano materialise?

First post in pro road racing for a month :eek:

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:
You need to turn 25 in the calendar year or something like that. Henao turns 25 in December so wouldn't be eligible.

I thought you had to be under 26 at the turn of the year. So on Jan 1st you had to BE 25 or under.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
taiwan said:
Better record at il Giro.

Wiggins has never competed in the Giro in top form, contrary to Nibali who has targeted it several times.

I also wonder what makes people think Nibali is better at the steep climbs. On Belles Fillies and Peyragudes this year Froome, Wiggins dropped him easily. And in the 2011 Vuelta Nibali was even worse. His GT performances just aren't very consistent over 3 weeks.

Wiggins will win it if he's got this year's form, and that's the problem with deciding who to choose in this poll.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Bobby G said:
I thought you had to be under 26 at the turn of the year. So on Jan 1st you had to BE 25 or under.

No, riders have to be under 25 on Jan 1st, all young rider classifications are U25. So everyone from 1987 (and earlier) can't compete for the white jerseys any more next year.

airstream said:
There's 0 zero reason to consider Nibali a stronger climber than Wiggins, but people vote for him...:confused:

I dunno, Nibali seemed stronger to me in the two hardest stages of the Tour. Keep in mind also that Nibali didn't have Froome to pace him. That counts for something on climbs that are exposed and not overly steep.

It's true, though, that Nibali was weak in the Peyragudes stage. He doesn't recover as well as Wiggins it seems, which is, of course, a major weakness.

Regardless, Purito will own them both.

Pentacycle said:
Wiggins has never competed in the Giro in top form, contrary to Nibali who has targeted it several times.

I also wonder what makes people think Nibali is better at the steep climbs. On Belles Fillies and Peyragudes this year Froome, Wiggins dropped him easily. And in the 2011 Vuelta Nibali was even worse. His GT performances just aren't very consistent over 3 weeks.

Wiggins will win it if he's got this year's form, and that's the problem with deciding who to choose in this poll.

Nibali was in difficulties on Peyresourde already. Wiggins didn't gap him when it got steep. In fact, he was in trouble there himself.

Wiggins only seems stronger on difficult climbs when they are short, like La Planche and Col de la Croix (Jura), but has never impressed on a climb that is both difficult AND long.

Right now, I give the edge to Nibali. If shows up like in this year's Tour, he should win it very easily.

- Purito and Hesjedal to complete the podium.
- I don't see Wiggo doing anything special. The Tour broke his head, plus he won't have the same kind of train.
- I don't discard a rider like Gesink if he decides (hopefully) to ride the Giro/Vuelta next year.

cineteq said:
Right now, I give the edge to Nibali. If shows up like in this year's Tour, he should win it very easily.

- Purito and Hesjedal to complete the podium.
- I don't see Wiggo doing anything special. The Tour broke his head, plus he won't have the same kind of train.
- I don't discard a rider like Gesink if he decides (hopefully) to ride the Giro/Vuelta next year.
- so you have accepted that Purito he's doing it, now that you're argument "Giro-has-more-TT-than-Tour is legit? :D
- Gesink... would be awesome but I reckon he doesn't even know the Giro exists.

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Afrank said:
Nibali, I am counting on him to teach Wiggo a lesson.

Nibs had his chance and he came up short, even with more hilly parcours, I wouldn't expect much more from him. Purito though, if his form his there he could inflict some damage on Wiggo if Sky are not Tour-strong.

Eshnar said:
- so you have accepted that Purito he's doing it, now that you're argument "Giro-has-more-TT-than-Tour is legit? :D
- Gesink... would be awesome but I reckon he doesn't even know the Giro exists.
You guys completely misunderstood me. I always wanted Purito to ride Giro/Vuelta. I said I don't think he wants to ride the Giro, even though he said he would, based on his reaction after the Giro presentation. I'm sure deep down he wants to be in the 2013 Tour, but he seems to have understood that his best opportunities are going to be better by riding Giro/Vuelta again.

cineteq said:
You guys completely misunderstood me. I always wanted Purito to ride Giro/Vuelta. I said I don't think he wants to ride the Giro, even though he said he would, based on his reaction after the Giro presentation. I'm sure deep down he wants to be in the 2013 Tour, but he seems to have understood that his best opportunities are going to be better by riding Giro/Vuelta again.
I did understand it, I just found funny that you didn't even put a "if he goes", after having argued for two days.

cineteq said:

Rodriguez really wants to be in the Tour, but he has no choice because Menchov is Russian. :eek:

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
My new main man Nibbles

What sort of resources do you think Astana are going to throw into the Giro? Are they going to prioritize a Giro win over a possible Tour top ten? Will Nibbles' main support will be Agnoli, Tiralongo and Gasparotto?

cineteq said:

We understood you perfectly. It was exactly the same as when florecita was shouting at everyone that contador won't win the vuelta because she was scared that he would not

You were scared that purito would do the tour so were shouting at everyone that it was going to happen even as purito himself announced that he would do the giro.

Now that's your period is over nstead of accepting that you acted childishly and were wrong you cone up with some half baked excuse that no one understood you.

Do t worry, we see through your weakass excuses.;)

The Hitch said:
We understood you perfectly. It was exactly the same as when florecita was shouting at everyone that contador won't win the vuelta because she was scared that he would not

You were scared that purito would do the tour so were shouting at everyone that it was going to happen even as purito himself announced that he would do the giro.

Now that's your period is over nstead of accepting that you acted childishly and were wrong you cone up with some half baked excuse that no one understood you.

Do t worry, we see through your weakass excuses.;)
You're confusing words, 'scared' with 'disappointed', and 'excuses' with 'statements'. Sorry to give you the bad news, but I think you need a refund from the ESL school you went to. :(

Eshnar said:
I think you're going to change it a lot of times until next May... :eek:
Don't think so, but don't hide if I say 'I told you so'. ;)

cineteq said:
Don't think so, but don't hide if I say 'I told you so'. ;)
If a tell you that if you flip a coin now, it will be 'head', and by chance it really happens, will I be entitled to say I told you so?

You have about 50% chance and you're saying without any reasoning. That's not enough to say I told you so if you'll eventually be right.