• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win 2013 GIRO?

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win 2013 GIRO?

• Others

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
He may be a coward, but there are even bigger cowards lined up to compete with him. The GT field doesn't have many brave characters these days.

only purito can't afford beign a coward seeing how much time he loses in itt. he will lose 5 minutes to wiggins there and at least a minute to quintana.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
He may be a coward, but there are even bigger cowards lined up to compete with him. The GT field doesn't have many brave characters these days.

Except for Contador, also Schleck if he gets back to 2011 form. And with Vino's help I could see Nibali becoming more daring in his attacks. But you are right, this year especially there hasn't been many GC contenders that are willing to go out on risky but brave attacks.

Afrank said:
And with Vino's help I could see Nibali becoming more daring in his attacks.
What kind of help, what are you suggesting? :confused: I don't think Nibali needs Vino to do more daring attacks. He just needs to assess his chances better and do the right calculations, that's all. After LBL he's understood that.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
cineteq said:
What kind of help, what are you suggesting? :confused: I don't think Nibali needs Vino to do more daring attacks. He just needs to assess his chances better and do the right calculations, that's all. After LBL he's understood that.

I think Nibali will improve overall at Astana. And I do think Vino could encourage him to go on more daring and risky attacks. In a single day race like LBL attacking from far out isn't as risky as doing it in a GT because those moves often end up working in the classics and you don't have to think about being fresh the next day like you do in a 3 week race. You can just leave it all out on the road. Nibali really didn't attack Wiggins that much in the Tour. So I think Vino could encourage him to take those risky moves in the GT's in addition to in the classics.

Plus a long time pro like Vino will know exactly where and when he should attack.

Afrank said:
I think Nibali will improve overall at Astana. And I do think Vino could encourage him to go on more daring and risky attacks. In a single day race like LBL attacking from far out isn't as risky as doing it in a GT because those moves often end up working in the classics and you don't have to think about being fresh the next day like you do in a 3 week race.
Yeah but he did a daring attack in LBL and he failed. :eek: What else Vino could have done? I'm containing myself not to say something else here.

Afrank said:
Nibali really didn't attack Wiggins that much in the Tour. So I think Vino could encourage him to take those risky moves in the GT's in addition to in the classics.
Re: Vino, I really dislike this guy. This is very close to being a dealbreaker for me in supporting Nibali. Back to the Tour, how much can he have attacked? Remember when he attacked and connected with Sagan? Who went with him? His team was really crappy and the competition was reduced to JVB. I think it's unfair that you said he didn't attack.

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Don't think Purito will be able to make all the TT km's in this year's route work for him. Although, i'd imagine that he has extra motivation to continue to work on his TTing after this year, so I'm not completely discounting him.

I can't see Wiggo being able to cope with the attacks that may or may not go down considering his climbing lead-out.

Something in me sees Nibali as most likely considering his new team and probably fresher mentally than Wiggins who's been in the frying media spotlight for quite some time now..

schralp said:
Don't think Purito will be able to make all the TT km's in this year's route work for him. Although, i'd imagine that he has extra motivation to continue to work on his TTing after this year, so I'm not completely discounting him.

I can't see Wiggo being able to cope with the attacks that may or may not go down considering his climbing lead-out.

Something in me sees Nibali as most likely considering his new team and probably fresher mentally than Wiggins who's been in the frying media spotlight for quite some time now..

So perhaps a Wiggins, Nibali and J-Rod battle. Looking forward to it.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
cineteq said:
Yeah but he did a daring attack in LBL and he failed. :eek: What else Vino could have done? I'm containing myself not to say something else here.

Yeah, his LBL attack didn't work. But like I said, it's less risky to attack in a classic then a GT.

Re: Vino, I really dislike this guy. This is very close to being a dealbreaker for me in supporting Nibali. Back to the Tour, how much can he have attacked? Remember when he attacked and connected with Sagan? Who went with him? His team was really crappy and the competition was reduced to JVB. I think it's unfair that you said he didn't attack.

I didn't say he didn't attack, just that he didn't attack much. And yes attacking more in that Tour probably wouldn't have done too much since Wiggins was always going to win it. Since that was the most recent example of his performance in a GT I was using it as an example of a race when he didn't make a lot of meaningful moves/attacks over the course of the race.

But at Astana he will have a much better team and more motivation to win the Giro I think, so I think he will be more inclined to attack Wiggins more then he did in this years Tour. And he will have more chances to do so then in the Tour.

Afrank said:
I think Nibali will improve overall at Astana. And I do think Vino could encourage him to go on more daring and risky attacks. In a single day race like LBL attacking from far out isn't as risky as doing it in a GT because those moves often end up working in the classics and you don't have to think about being fresh the next day like you do in a 3 week race. You can just leave it all out on the road. Nibali really didn't attack Wiggins that much in the Tour. So I think Vino could encourage him to take those risky moves in the GT's in addition to in the classics.

Plus a long time pro like Vino will know exactly where and when he should attack.

On the other hand if you attack in the classics everyone is on you. If you do it in a gt, especially these days, they can underestimate you. And people have bad days so you might could eliminate an opponent even if everyone else catches you.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
On the other hand if you attack in the classics everyone is on you. If you do it in a gt, especially these days, they can underestimate you. And people have bad days so you might could eliminate an opponent even if everyone else catches you.

True, attacking and getting away from everybody in the classics can definitely be harder then doing it in a GT, which it should be. Of course Sky's entire race strategy is pace Wiggins up the mountains and don't let the other big contenders get too far away, so they might be more determined to ensure a guy like Nibali doesn't get away.

Dazed and Confused said:
Perhaps, but he wasn't tested. If we take Wiggins from 2012 he can go very far, J-Rod responded very well against Valverde and Contador in the Vuelta 2012. What did Hejsedal respond to?

Stage 20 and 15 Rodriguez attacked and took time on Hesjedal. He had to respond there to limit his losses. Hesjedal isn't the type to just ride in with the pack knowing he can win it in the TT though.

But so much can happen between now and then, and in the race, that I don't think we should not consider Hesjedal a contender quite yet.

Stage 20 and 15 Rodriguez attacked and took time on Hesjedal. He had to respond there to limit his losses. Hesjedal isn't the type to just ride in with the pack knowing he can win it in the TT though.

But so much can happen between now and then, and in the race, that I don't think we should not consider Hesjedal a contender quite yet.[/QUOTE]

I would give Hesjedal 5% chance at this point.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I dont trust Hesjedal too.My picks are Purito,Wiggins,Vincenzo and Quintana if he rides and limits his losses to Nibali and Wiggins in TT.He really impressed me this year and I trust him in the big mountains.;)
I wonder what result Pelizotti can do?Top10?

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Afrank said:
Don't discount Hesjedal just yet ;)

agreed 100% although his weakness lay in the first 2 weeks I'd say as he also had a bad day there this year. the third week which again is most important he will be up there

TRENDING THREADS