• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win 2013 GIRO?

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win 2013 GIRO?

• Others

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
In Italia we'll see a lot of young climbers. Quintana, Betancur, Anacona, Majka, Slagter, Aru, Landa, Izaguirre... Chaves and Atapuma if Coldeportes is invited. Who knows if Dombrowski, Elissonde, Bardet, Konig, Geniez... That's why i think we can have many surprises.

The Hitch said:
Thats actually very unlucky for Rodriguez in that the 1 year they dont have mountain time bonuses it may have cost him the race.

He lost the Giro by 17 seconds (12 if we overlook ryders head start) but would have got 8 for 3rd on stage 8, 12 for 2nd on stage 15, 20 to Ryder's 8 for 1st to 3rd on stage 17, and lost 4 for finishing 3rd to 2nd on stage 19

I got that as 28 seconds. Assuming everything went the same (which considering how conservative the race was, is not that big a leap) Rodriguez would have gone into the final tt with a 59 second lead - which would have made the final tt a total nailbiting tossup, with everyone counting down - 12, 11, 10 ... as Rodriguez negotiated the final 500m.

I'm pretty sure that bonus seconds were awarded on stage 8

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Jason_Mercier said:
In Italia we'll see a lot of young climbers. Quintana, Betancur, Anacona, Majka, Slagter, Aru, Landa, Izaguirre... Chaves and Atapuma if Coldeportes is invited. Who knows if Dombrowski, Elissonde, Bardet, Konig, Geniez... That's why i think we can have many surprises.

Dombrowski I doubt will be doing any GT's in his first year. Hopefully Sky will get a invite to the American races, I think Dombrowski would do well there.

El Pistolero said:
Chavanel wants to start in the Giro. And he's not sure if he'll do the Tour after that.

Good choice for Chavanel, He'll have more chances there then he would have pulling Cav around France.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Afrank said:
Dombrowski I doubt will be doing any GT's in his first year. Hopefully Sky will get a invite to the American races, I think Dombrowski would do well there.

Good choice for Chavanel, He'll have more chances there then he would have pulling Cav around France.

Sky never do the US races.The main sponsor isn't in that market.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
simo1733 said:
Sky never do the US races.The main sponsor isn't in that market.

Yeah, that another reason it's too bad Dombrowski signed with Sky. He has and would do very well in the American races.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Dombrowski is a pure GT rider, pretty much the only races which suit him. It makes a lot of sense to do the Giro which has more of his terrain in three weeks than a whole calendar of non-GT races.

Down the line, yes definitely. He'll be a great talent in the GT's. But I'm not sure Sky will want to throw him into a grand tour in his first season. And since Wiggins will try to win the Giro I don't know if they would want a rider that is at the moment untested in GT's to support him.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Afrank said:
Down the line, yes definitely. He'll be a great talent in the GT's. But I'm not sure Sky will want to throw him into a grand tour in his first season. And since Wiggins will try to win the Giro I don't know if they would want a rider that is at the moment untested in GT's to support him.

I think they'll try to find out what level he has in some of the WT stage races in spring, and then he can probably prepare for the Vuelta with JTL. Dombrowksi also sucks at TTT(I assume) so that might be another reason for Sky to keep him out of the Giro.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Pentacycle said:
I think they'll try to find out what level he has in some of the WT stage races in spring, and then he can probably prepare for the Vuelta with JTL. Dombrowksi also sucks at TTT(I assume) so that might be another reason for Sky to keep him out of the Giro.

Domborwski isn't bad in TT's. Not great level, but above medicority. He was 3rd in 27 km TT at Tour of the Gila. Obviously not great line-up but he can time trial.

I think it's stupid to say what rider he'll be at this point. Obviosuly a great climber, but what else is unknow. He's still 21.

And he won't go to Giro. Definitely. If so, Vuelta is the one this year.

Pentacycle said:

If i were Sky i would send JTL to the Giro, if they want him to lose weight quickly.
Everyone keeps forgetting Boswell.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
maxmartin said:
"The Astana manager did confirm that Brajkovic will play a supporting role for Vincenzo Nibali at the Giro, in May."

That is a pretty decent helper for Nibali. And Fuglsang leads at Tour, is Fuglsang's GT results better than Jani??

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/fuglsang-will-lead-astana-at-tour-de-france

Good decision IMO, Jani will be a good helper for Nibali. And it would be good if they sent him to the Vuelta as leader, I think he could do well there.

maxmartin said:
"The Astana manager did confirm that Brajkovic will play a supporting role for Vincenzo Nibali at the Giro, in May."

That is a pretty decent helper for Nibali. And Fuglsang leads at Tour, is Fuglsang's GT results better than Jani??

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/fuglsang-will-lead-astana-at-tour-de-france

I feel safer for Nibalis chances now that I know Jani will be his super badass domestique :cool:.

Who knows maybe Fuglsang can surprise us with a top 20? :D

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
greenedge said:
If i were Sky i would send JTL to the Giro, if they want him to lose weight quickly.
Everyone keeps forgetting Boswell.

That's cos he's unlikely to get a ride in a GT in his first year.

TRENDING THREADS