• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win 2013 GIRO?

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win 2013 GIRO?

• Others

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
movingtarget said:
Astana must be aiming for the top 20 on GC.

Yes, but I think it could be too optimistic too. Fuglsang's recovery still causes many questions. He can easily finish one of the 3rd week stages in a sprinter grupetto.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Dombrowski is a pure GT rider, pretty much the only races which suit him. It makes a lot of sense to do the Giro which has more of his terrain in three weeks than a whole calendar of non-GT races.

I doubt he will do a gt. the guy is 21 and been riding for only few years

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
airstream said:
Fuglsang's media activity obviously prevails over his results. Overly strange decision by Astana.

astana often completely miss the boat with their transfers. nibali will be another huge disapointment, then there's brajkovic, kreuziger and a ton of others

airstream said:
Yes, but I think it could be too optimistic too. Fuglsang's recovery still causes many questions. He can easily finish one of the 3rd week stages in a sprinter grupetto.

Fuglsang flat out sucks on steep climbs, too. Kitzbuheler Horn proved that he didn't improve in that regard. He got his *** beat by Di Luca and a number of third and fourth-tier climbers. :eek:

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
ton? Kreuziger have not been as good as we hoped, but noone thought Brajko would do any better than a top 10 in the tour.

I will post a number of the abysmal transfers astana have gotten in recent years and brajkovic makes a ton of money and they got him to be a leader in gt. just as much of a joke as fuglsang is now and he's also making a ton of money at astana

brajkovic
kreuziger
petrov
bozic
masciarelli
seeldrayers
allan davis
pereiro

and those are just from past few years

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Fuglsang flat out sucks on steep climbs, too. Kitzbuheler Horn proved that he didn't improve in that regard. He got his *** beat by Di Luca and a number of third and fourth-tier climbers. :eek:

exactly. also the stretch is off, of him as well. we haven't seen improvement in a few years, not even in hgis specialties like itt or rouleur

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
18-Valve. (pithy) said:

True. I'd even say on the climbs with the average grade >=7%. Any continuous 9 and more % sector and ... Fuglsang is dropped like a cork. Jani got slimmer for the last few years and his TT is for him too. Why do Astana prefer Fuglsang?? :confused: Probably he guaranteed them something? :D

Ryo Hazuki said:
I will post a number of the abysmal transfers astana have gotten in recent years and brajkovic makes a ton of money and they got him to be a leader in gt. just as much of a joke as fuglsang is now and he's also making a ton of money at astana

brajkovic - ton of money? you got his salary, please share with me
kreuziger - agreed
petrov - He is a good domestique, was he any better before? :confused:
bozic - yea, we all knew he was the new Cav...
masciarelli - retired because of something, we don't know why (?)
seeldrayers - He was bought as a dometique (what i mean by that is that he came to Astana after the most extreme hype had dissapeared)
allan davis - never that good anyway, but i agree that he has improved in GreenEdge)
pereiro - .......

and those are just from past few years

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
airstream said:
True. I'd even say on the climbs with the average grade >=7%. Any continuous 9 and more % sector and ... Fuglsang is dropped like a cork. Jani got slimmer for the last few years and his TT is for him too. Why do Astana prefer Fuglsang?? :confused: Probably he guaranteed them something? :D

brajkovic got slimmer? he was 177x52 :eek: he only got heavier and thank god for that

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
brajkovic got slimmer? he was 177x52 :eek: he only got heavier and thank god for that

Such riders don't exist. He would have blown away from the peloton on flat. Brajkovic is 58 as minimum.

Previous 5 years clearly show that TT's decide more than mountains if we look into contenders of comparable level. There is a 50 km TT. Basso will lose to Wiggins 3 minutes in case of the best scenario. The main problem is he can not get away on pedalabele climbs and the stages are not difficult enough that the opponents would be dropped due to tiredness. Next year he won't have a team. I don't see Basso get on the podium if 2-3 main contenders won't fail.

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
movingtarget said:
I suppose, all things considered, it wasn't a bad performance. I thought he was disappointing in the this year's Giro though.

Very very disappointing if we consider Scarponi wasn't the Scarponi of 2011 and Kreuziger did a crappy race. The shadow of the 2010 Basso would had won the Giro.

TRENDING THREADS