• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win more - Greipel or Cavendish?

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
With Greipel winning yesterday, that must bring him to 5/6 wins for the season already, including the overall at TdU.

Cavendish is still yet to race. I know he is top dog but Greipel has been very impressive so far, yesterdays win at Algarve was on a tough stage the had the peloton in shreds.

It seems more obvious then ever that Columbia have the 2 best sprinters in the peloton, and Greipel is not going to get to aim at the races he wants. Not just the tour, Greipel clearly also has a shot at MSR, GW and PT but I can't see him getting to ride them any time soon. Quite the headache for Andre, when does his contract run out? The Columbia set up is so ridiculously good that as soon as he leaves he will be somewhat less successful, no other team has the sprinter support Columbia provide. Maybe Sky, but they are busy grooming EBH. What a shame that Greipel has turned into a top flight sprinter but with no team to properly accommodate him. What is better, to play second fiddle and rack up dozens of smaller wins, or risk having inferior support in order to chase the big prizes?

And to answer my topic, I think Greipel might just take Cavendish this year in wins. And I certainly cannot see EBH coming close to either :p

A

Anonymous

I think Greipel will get more, but Cav's will be much better quality. I can't see Cav getting as many Tour stages this year for a start.

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Greipel will probably win on numbers this year but Cav ought to edge it on quality. Which is better qulity or quantity? especially when the quality of Greipel's wis will probably look pretty good too (just not as god as what Cav might end up with)

Greipel will win more races, maybe even a classic (MSR, Paris-Tours, Gent-Wevelgem,...) and a couple of stages in GT's.
I don't know if Cavendish can beat thart this year. It's almost march and he hasn't raced yet. I'm a bit afraid he suffered from the "ullrich-syndrome" this winter.

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
beloved patriot because you cannot keep him off the bike - he will race more and win more even if Cav's conversion rate is higher (although even that is debatable).

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
bettiniphoto_0046554_1_full_600.jpg

He wants it

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Indeed. When is Cavs season starting? I know it's been delayed already. That picture is frightening, looking at Greipel you wonder how a 63kg Freire can even contemplate passing him.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Off topic: That Greipel is one UGLY dude...looks like a character from The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
he will get some character bit part in a Bond film with stainless steel false teeth, and will die with an SRM hooked up to a hairdryer and shoved down his mouth whilst plugged into the mains.

A

Anonymous

blackcat said:
he will get some character bit part in a bond film with stainless steel false teeth, and will die with an srm hooked up to a hairdryer and shoved down his mouth whilst plugged into the mains.

Exactly!!!!!

Feb 20, 2010
Visit site
Cav Will Have More Wins

Well, four of Greipel's wins were due to the fact that neither Cav or EBH were there. He's fast, but Cav will have more victories as he did last season, barring injury. He's the top dog and has the quality and number of wins to warrant it...Greipel is built like a frickin' locomotive though and is mid-season form for February :D

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I thought it was worth a bump just to remind people of what they thought in February. When someone like Cav, or the Texan, say things to belittle someone, group think can kick in and some people just agree with what they say, so something that looked ike a great win in the Winter now becomes a small race. It's not surprising that since he's actually posted some wins, he'd like to compete in tougher events.

I'm liking the "quality vs quantity" debate. I reckon Greipel will win more races in May than Cavendish and they'll be better quality wins too since Greipel will be at the Giro whilst Cav races some s**t small race in the States.

Maybe Greipel will finish the Giro in the points jersey.

I hope he ends up on a different team than Cav. Be nice if he got his pick of races. With his height and ability to get up some hills, I have no doubt he could be a monster classics/semi-classics rider.

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
it's hard to win if you are not in the race. many think that greipel is way too good to be relegated to "shyte small" races.

i expect him to do some damage in the giro!

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm comming for you little Chav.

25587_338917451283_508571283_3712957_117672_n.jpg

Seriously hes not that big (tall anyway) when you see him off the bike, but on the bike he's a total monster.

Nice guy too, for a German. :p

A

Anonymous

I can't bear photo's of Greipel, he's just not normal. He reminds me of Dwain Chambers when he was on steroids. There's such a thing as too big for sprinters, and he's the definition of it.

TRENDING THREADS