• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win the 2013 Giro? Final poll

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

?

• other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
ebandit said:
yes! believers v unbelievers

.............5 votes for cadel? ...................seriously? i can't imagine seeing him at the front of a race......ever again

Mark L

He's proven in GTs though. Legit top 5 favourite.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
dunno, you used form a bit on the sprinter side. Why not with Evans?

IDK he wasn't that good or that bad in Trentino, and you ride into GTs a bit. Doesn't look as good as Nibali going in, but yes one of the top 5 guys. Maybe a bit better for the long TT than Nibali, maybe a bit more independent than Wiggins, he can be in the race. Not saying he's the man to beat or anything.

Evans actually has better "recent" GT form than anyone else outside the top3.

Sanchez DNF and 5th or whatever in 2011.
Gesink A very ordinary top10 in the Vuelta after more crashes in Tour(s).
Basso 5th in the Giro last year and worse in the 2011 Tour.

Scarponi is probably the only one who based on 24 months of GT form is equal or better than Evans. Even if you look at last year only, Evans' 8 days of awesome and fadeout to 7th is still competitive against these names.

Ferminal said:
Evans actually has better "recent" GT form than anyone else outside the top3.

Sanchez DNF and 5th or whatever in 2011.
Gesink A very ordinary top10 in the Vuelta after more crashes in Tour(s).
Basso 5th in the Giro last year and worse in the 2011 Tour.

Scarponi is probably the only one who based on 24 months of GT form is equal or better than Evans. Even if you look at last year only, Evans' 8 days of awesome and fadeout to 7th is still competitive against these names.

Yeah but Samu had Mont allesouts screwjob in 2011 without which he would have beaten weak *** frank schleck to the podium for sure (beat Schleck in every single gc stage but Galibier where he cracked because he had spent the entire tour on the attack)

And you cant really read anything into a tour where he crashed out.

Basso is toast for sure yes, but Gesink, he may have sucked recent gts but he is a lot younger than Evans and he also had crashes.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Yeah but Samu had Mont allesouts screwjob in 2011 without which he would have beaten weak *** frank schleck to the podium for sure (beat Schleck in every single gc stage but Galibier where he cracked because he had spent the entire tour on the attack)

And you cant really read anything into a tour where he crashed out.

Basso is toast for sure yes, but Gesink, he may have sucked recent gts but he is a lot younger than Evans and he also had crashes.

What I've seen from Gesink in the past 2 years, I am surprised he is even mentioned in the poll. He doesn't look like a climber at all. And he just doesn't seem like the fighter he once was.

Happy for him to prove me wrong, but I'm not holding my breath :p

Zam_Olyas said:
By the way, FWIW Good old Senor Manolo Saiz says that Romandie show's sky weakness/es and so he thinks Nibali will in.

Froome was strong but certainly Porte, Lopez and Kiri were a bit below their best level. Porte was sick after Pais Vasco so that probably explains his dip in form and the same could be said for Kiri who did that monster pull in horrendous conditions on the last road stage in PV.

As for the others, Edmondson (who was good at Romandie for a 20 year old neo-pro), Kennaugh, Sutton and Rasch are not going to be at the Tour and were making up the numbers because the classics guys (Thomas, EBH, Stannard, Eisel) are on a break.

I'm not sure what this has to do with the Giro of course because none of those riders are racing there...

Trentino and the Ardennes are the races to look at if you want to predict how strong Sky will be at the Giro. At Trentino they won the TTT and Siutsou was incredibly strong on the first mountain stage but suffered on the second one. Cataldo was weak at Trentino but he mentioned that he wasn't at his best due to just returning from altitude camp prior to the race. If he's freshened up over the last two weeks then we could easily see him in his March Tirreno form. Henao has been strong all season and was good in the Ardennes. I think it's pretty likely that he'll be one of the best climbers in the race. Uran has been below par this year but he's still shown flashes of form at Tirreno and Catalunya.

My guess is that Wiggins' climbing squad at the Giro won't be as consistent as Froome, Porte and Rogers were at the Tour but they'll still be pretty impressive. Henao's form in the third week will be key. He'll need to be strong and I think it's quite likely he will be.

Knees, Zandio and Pate are all reliable all round riders who should be able to last long enough to keep the others fresh for the final climb(s) on most stages. Puccio is a bit of an unknown quantity in his first grand tour.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
What I've seen from Gesink in the past 2 years, I am surprised he is even mentioned in the poll. He doesn't look like a climber at all.

Right, he's not. Vuelta U23-style "mountain" stages are already way out of his comfort zone. The Giro will be a nightmare for him.

But he got more votes (24) than any Italian not named Nibali last time around, so he was included based on that ...and on his Betfair odds at the time. Some people don't want to see the obvious, I guess. And that includes Gesink himself seeing as he targets a top-3...