• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win the 2020 Giro? (Rest day 1 edition)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the Giro?

• Vincenzo Nibali

Votes: 47 34.8%
  • Wilco Kelderman

Votes: 29 21.5%
  • Jakob Fuglsang

Votes: 17 12.6%
  • Domenico Pozzovivo

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Rafal Majka

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • João Almeida

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • HERMANN PERNSTEINER

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Steven Kruijswijk

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • Vino

Votes: 10 7.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The obvious answer would be Nibali but I really don't see how he can force a selection and make stages hard without a team. He has a chance if Ciccone hits peak shape in the third week but it doesn't seem likely at this point.

So I voted for Kelderman. Sure, he needs to stay on his bike, but if he can avoid crashes why not? He will take time on most other contenders in the time trials and can limit his losses in the big mountains. His team is also much better than expected and probably the strongest in the race.

My dark horse is Patrick Konrad.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I still think the 3rd week mountains suit Nibali and Kruijswijk the most. And although Kruijswijk lost more time than Nibali so far I'm still quietly confident of his 3rd week. So I voted Kruijswijk.
If not him, than Nibali.

Although I love to see Kelderman winning, I don't see it happening. He's also not the best when it comes to GT consistency and always has at least a 'lesser' day where he loses a minute or 2, which is too much if you want to win.
Same with Fuglsang btw
Havent really paid attention in the past but isnt Kelderman clearly better in the rain and cold than in the heat? October might help him

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
I voted good ol' Vino, but, upon further scientific inquiry:

Giro 2010: Won by an Italian born in november riding on a bike build by a company founded in America
Giro 2016: Won by an Italian born in november riding on a bike build by a company founded in America
Giro 2020: Will be won by an Italian born in november riding on a bike build by a company founded in America

It has been staring us in the face all along!

Pozzovivo will win this bike race

Giro 2010: Won by an Italian born in november riding on a bike build by a company founded in America
Giro 2016: Won by an Italian born in november riding on a bike build by a company founded in America
Giro 2020: Will be won by an Italian born in november riding on a bike build by a company founded in America

It has been staring us in the face all along!

Pozzovivo will win this bike race

Remember remember, numerous dates of November.

If they can race the 3rd week as scheduled I don´t think anyone can beat Nibali. I simply don´ t trust Kelderman or Fuglsang on a high altitude multi mountain stage. Stage 18 and 20 are tailor-made for Nibali. I expect him to lose a few more seconds in the coming days. I also expect him to gain more than a minute on one of the mentioned days.
If they cancel some of the climbs (Stelvio, Agnello, Izoard) or completly change the route it is a different story. In that case Kelderman might be able to defend his lead with a stronger team and easier route.
Just cannot imagine Fuglsang winning the race. I think compared to Nibali and Kelderman he will lose some time in the TT. Gaining a few seconds on the hilly stages won´t be enough and I don´t think he can drop them on a long and steady climb.

I agree that with the 3rd week type of stages Nibali still looks most likely to win. But if something changes to something easier I don't know if there's something to offset the time trial differences. Kelderman is likely to gain another 20/30 seconds in the next ITT.

Almeida I don't really count (also because of the difficulty of the 3rd week), but if it's easier because mt get cancelled then he could suddenly become a factor again

TRENDING THREADS