• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win the 2020 Giro? (Rest day 1 edition)

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the Giro?

• Vincenzo Nibali

Votes: 47 34.8%
  • Wilco Kelderman

Votes: 29 21.5%
  • Jakob Fuglsang

Votes: 17 12.6%
  • Domenico Pozzovivo

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Rafal Majka

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • João Almeida

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • HERMANN PERNSTEINER

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Steven Kruijswijk

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • Vino

Votes: 10 7.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Joao Almeida or Wilco Kelderman. Depending on the cancellations and the race going all the way or not. Fuglsang may have a chance too if he uses the hills of week 2 well. Nibali's chances are stages 18 and 20 without cancellations/shortenings.

Voted for Kelderman, but that was before the positive cases for multiple riders.
Fuglsang lost time instead of gaining, so his chances are very small as well. Majka and Pozzovivo can be dark horses but their TTing is not that good so they need to be the strongest on climbs.

After today's stage I'm even more confident about Pozzovivo's chances than before.
He has a team working for him, he's ready to attack, and stage 17 and 18 run through Trentino, where he has made good results in the past.

I don't think he has a bag though. Maybe it's more of a wallet.

With Pozzo I just have one question.

How?

It could be due to a snowstorm on Stelvio, where he in some weird fashion is the only one not taking the wrong right turn on the descent leading the others over the Umbrail Pass. I'm not sure, but flea magic could be a higher power than shark voodoo :p

Being a fan of the old Navigare/Colnago/Bardiani teams, I would love to see him win, but it is highly unlikely to happen.
Getting to Milan without further crashes, would probably be a victory in itself at this point in his career.

Last edited:
This poll aged well. ( In before TGH and Hindley deliver Rasmussen 2005 or Lopez 2020 and Kelderman wins )

Yep, incredible. Only the 2011 Vuelta had such surprising contenders from end of week one to end of week three?

Cobo = Hindley
Froome = Hart
Wiggins = Kelderman

Granted, Hart showed more than Froome (climbing with Sivakov in Tour Of Alps) prior to their breakthroughs, but to me it's all a weirdly similar comparison.

Nibali slipping away in both third weeks too.

Seb

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
Yep, incredible. Only the 2011 Vuelta had such surprising contenders from end of week one to end of week three?

Cobo = Hindley
Froome = Hart
Wiggins = Kelderman

Granted, Hart showed more than Froome (climbing with Sivakov in Tour Of Alps) prior to their breakthroughs, but to me it's all a weirdly similar comparison.

Nibali slipping away in both third weeks too.
Nice parallels. In 2011, originally, Cobo won, so maybe it should be

Cobo = Hart
Froome = Hindley

Could mean that in 2028 Hindley will be declared winner (and perhaps he's in for 4 TdF wins...) :)

Btw, German Wikipedia still has Cobo as the 2011 Combination Classification winner :hushed:

Nice parallels. In 2011, originally, Cobo won, so maybe it should be

Cobo = Hart
Froome = Hindley

Could mean that in 2028 Hindley will be declared winner (and perhaps he's in for 4 TdF wins...) :)

Btw, German Wikipedia still has Cobo as the 2011 Combination Classification winner :hushed:
This is more accurate, as Hindley ( Froome ) was the teammate of the leader Kelderman ( Wiggins ) who cracked in the mountains.

Reactions: Seb and richwallone

Seb

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
I think as a whole we have to admit that our predictions are not that great. Zero votes for TGH ( excluding Vino ).
Except @Velolover2, who predicted that Tao will win the Giro in the stage 14 thread before the TT.
@Velolover2

(Btw, I don't understand the meaning of Vino in this context)
Look at all these people being wrong.

HERMANN PERNSTEINER cracks me up lol
3 percent for Pernsteiner are

• Haha
Reactions: Red Rick

Seb

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
... astonishing indeed :hushed: Well, after all, he had an overall tour victory at the Tour of Azerbaidjan...
(sorry, I somehow couldn't submit the complete post at once)

TRENDING THREADS