• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win the Giro? 16th rest day poll

Who will not lose?

• Armirail

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Thomas

Votes: 17 10.6%
  • Roglic

Votes: 75 46.6%
  • Leknesund

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Caruso

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Remco

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Zzzzzz

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Vino/Other

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Almida

Votes: 25 15.5%
  • Rubio

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
Voted 'Almida'.

He is usually strong in the 3rd week of the Giro and I think the final time trial suits him better than Roglič and Thomas, its a super steep long climb where pacing is going to be the key and Almeida is usually great at that.

Roglič gets heartbroken once again in the final TT of a Grand Tour by a UAE rider and I expect Thomas to crack in one of the mountain stages but should still be good enough for third place ahead of Caruso.

Whoever wins though, I just hope for some better racing in this final wekk.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lui98
Since both my last vote turned out to be very stupid and won't happen, I only get one proper vote left and I'm no going to waste it.

Ener Rubio will win the Giro. He will get in several more breakways and make time each day. At first, Thomas and Roglic will look each other and not notice him. Then the won't see him get on a break on stage 18 or 19, he is 165cm, his teammates will shield him, until its too late.

He will do what Nairo did in 2014 and crush the mountain ITT whilst Roglic in pink has a bottle job again

I could easily see guys like Kamba, Dunbar, Carthy, Pinot, Rubio and more going up the road while Thomas, Roglic and Almeida keep being passive as always.

Jumbo & Ineos doms will ride them down. So that's not happening.

That‘s a depressing perspective on bike racing: Do tactics not exist in your world?

I don't believe there's a conflict between "tactics versus raw power", there's just the right tools for the job based on where a rider is standing in GC & the stage profile he's racing. Roglič isn't a circus monkey so he's not going to attack on stages where it's unnecessary. If his race situation demanded creative team tactics, we'd see it on the road.

I also said in one of the previous threads here (it could have been last week's rest day thread) that team tactics upending GC standings & stuff like two-pronged attacks are always heavily overrated by fans yet very rarely ever successfully happen.

And in this Giro we've had almost all the tricky stages with potential snafus, so now it'll be a W/kg test. As it usually always is.

This Giro

FwqKpErXoAIKn62

TRENDING THREADS