• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win the Green Jersey?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
That's right. Steegmans out,Napolitano in.
Man,Danilo finished runner-up 10 times this season.:eek: Pretty frustrating,i should say...
Still,Katusha also have Pozzato for sprints,and don't forget Nikolay Trusov,he surprised the big Thor last month in a Catalunya stage and stole him the glory.
Hmm...who's their main horsepower then?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I think Columbia will do everything they can to get Cav over the mountains and into the jersey rolling into Paris. Do they have a legitimate GC threat? Top 10 with Rogers maybe? So a green jersey goes extremely well with the team's impressive record this year.

Boonen has said he hasn't been in the best mental form of late...that may actually play out to be an issue down the stretch, if he gets the invite.

My heart's with Hushovd though...if Cervelo's train is working right he's a threat.

Regardless, all the heavyweights going for it makes for a great TdF this year.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:

With Haussler they could steal valuable points away from other GY competitors. For example, if Hsvhd comes in first and Haussler can maintain his speed, sprinting to second or third, he effectively bars others from picking up those points and come closer in the GY classification. Haussler could also do well in escapes, win intermediate sprints and stay competitive for Green himself.

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
I think it will be Haussler or Thor. They have an advantage in that Haussler can potentially snatch some of the intermediate sprints in the hillier stages, and Thor concentrating on the finish sprints.

As I write this I am now getting confused. Haussler will probably be helping Sastre in the mountains, at the least on the approach and lower slopes, and maybe up high too.

Well, I am still picking Haussler - hope he got some rest since the spring as it looks like he will be working hard for both Thor and Sastre.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
green this july will between Oscar & Thor with Oscar coming out on front. Cavendish will not be able to keep up in the tougher sprints after a few stages!

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Cavendish is better in the hills this year, even if he is out of cotention i think his DS will have convinced him to ride through to a high placing...and he is quicker than everyone else with a stronger team=green jersey.

Maybe part of the key is to look at how many stages Cav wont make it to the finish and Freire will do?

Stages 8 and 9 in the Pyrenees are interesting. Traditionally you would expect the Gc guys to push it hard going up the climbs with even the better climbers like Freire finishing way back. However, the long run-in to the finish will make it hard to sustain an attack so maybe there will be quite a large group reaching the finish line. In this case Freire could make the finish and get points even if a breakaway takes the big points.

Stages 13 and 19 look like stages where Freire should finish with the front runners although the other sprinters may struggle. Of course one thing counting against Freire here is that he has to push hard on every day while Cav can have a relative day off. This should mean that Freire suffers more later in the second and third weeks and so finish lower down on days where there is a bunch sprint.

I think it will be a close run thing with several changes of hands but that Cav will just win it.

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
freire will have to take points on the difficult stages to win this, although i think he could very well do it. he must be one of the favourites on the stage 6, and in stages 8 and 9 i think rabobank must make sure only a small break goes away, that way there will be as much points as possible for the bunch to fight for, who knows stage 9 might even finish in a bunch sprint, or friere could go in the break, but i dont think the other sprinters teams would allow that. There will be alot of stages where there could be a bunch sprint but should be a fairly selective bunch left, should be alot of changes in the lead. Freire "should" come out of the pyrenees in green(or at least best placed of the contenders for to win the green jersy overall) , will cav or hushovd be fresh enough to take it back off him later in the tour? maybe farrar or pozzato

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
phillop said:
freire will have to take points on the difficult stages to win this, although i think he could very well do it. he must be one of the favourites on the stage 6, and in stages 8 and 9 i think rabobank must make sure only a small break goes away, that way there will be as much points as possible for the bunch to fight for, who knows stage 9 might even finish in a bunch sprint, or friere could go in the break, but i dont think the other sprinters teams would allow that. There will be alot of stages where there could be a bunch sprint but should be a fairly selective bunch left, should be alot of changes in the lead. Freire "should" come out of the pyrenees in green(or at least best placed of the contenders for to win the green jersy overall) , will cav or hushovd be fresh enough to take it back off him later in the tour? maybe farrar or pozzato

after the pyrenees will be descisive because if cav can be not too tired then he's near a certainty for green. friere is ever consistent but how will he beat him. if friere can get a high placing at the barcelona stage where it is likely cav will get dropped then he might be a chance as he won't lose too many points to cav in other stages as he is ever consistent.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Jasper is a sad case

Jasper said:
FrEIre.

It's Oscar FrEIre.

Not FrIEre.

Where does this confusion come from? :)

does it really matter. get a life if you are going to comment on those things. people know who i am talking about:mad:

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
does it really matter. get a life if you are going to comment on those things. people know who i am talking about:mad:

Hopefully not me. Mine was meant as a humorous response...

No dig at anyone in particular

Apr 3, 2009
www.dj-vega.net
auscyclefan94 said:
does it really matter.
Yes it does.

As Bala Verde already mentioned, it seems so unreal that someone (generally speaking here, no personal attack on your behalf) who is an avid follower of cycling can't spell the name of a three time world champion, multiple classics winner and green jersey defender correctly. It's not even a difficult name to spell anyway. You have to admit, it does make you (generally speaking again) look a bit stupid and undermines your credibility. Heck, imagine me talking about Lance Armstring in here, I'd be corrected in no time. :p

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Jasper said:
Yes it does.

As Bala Verde already mentioned, it seems so unreal that someone (generally speaking here, no personal attack on your behalf) who is an avid follower of cycling can't spell the name of a three time world champion, multiple classics winner and green jersey defender correctly. It's not even a difficult name to spell anyway. You have to admit, it does make you (generally speaking again) look a bit stupid and undermines your credibility. Heck, imagine me talking about Lance Armstring in here, I'd be corrected in no time. :p

i'll keep that in mind:D

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I am glad you guys settled this peacefully! ;) I got a little scared when I skimmed through other threads... Think WWIII raised to the 7th power.

Apr 3, 2009
www.dj-vega.net
He sure looks good to contest for green. A few nasty uphill sprints where he's supposedly better than Cavendish, vindictive feelings towards ASO and the desire to show them off, the belgian champions jersey around his shoulders, and quite a strong team around him. With Rosseler in great shape, he has one of the most powerfull leadout men in the peloton in his service, and there's also De Jongh and Tosatto. Next to Columbia, one of the strongest leadout trains in the Tour I say :)

TRENDING THREADS