• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win the Olympic ITT?

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Holtend said:
Just watched the medal ceremony and Wiggo didn't even look at Froome, he even turned to Martin to get him to step up the podium for the photos.
Maybe I'm reading too much into a nothing situation?

They hugged when Wiggo arrived near the "thrones"...having said that it seemed a bit "cold" to me, like on the Champs-Elysées, a lot more than at the Planche des Belles Filles, I think Wiggo hasn't quite gotten over the ridiculous show Froome show on Peyragudes (he didn't seem to care on the spot, but must have gotten tired of being asked about it), not to mention CF's girlfriend's silly tweets.

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Such a shame we missed the chance to see a duel between canc and wiggins.

I don't think it would have made much difference. Fabian hasn't won a long tt since '10 worlds.

Edit: my bad, he won the long tt in TdS in '11 and the national tt in '11 (but neither in a dominant manner).

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:

I still think a Tony Martin without the severe accident in April and hand injury in TdF would have been the greatest threat to Wiggins to today. Martin was not in the same form as in the Worlds last year, and Martin dethroned Canc as TT king last year. But sure, maybe a Canc without the crash saturday would have been a bigger threat to Wiggins today than Martin was.

Magnus said:
I don't think it would have made much difference. Fabian hasn't won a long tt since '10 worlds.

What did canc do to you? A lot of your posts are very anti spartacus.

The theory is absurd though. Did wiggins ever win a long tt before this year? Cancellara will be 3 years from a monument by cobbles 2013. Does that mean he will be a total outsider for the win?

One could argue that canc hasn't focused on a long tt since tdf 10 or even worlds 09. I think this was a little bit.more important to.cancellara tan the other tts he's had this year, or last even

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
taiwan said:
I take it Wiggins isn't riding the Vuelta? That would be ridiculous.

But I think Froome will, he is in the preliminary startlist! Seems insane because it's only 4 weeks between end of TdF and start of Vuelta. And Froome wasn't exactly chilling in TdF.

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Worlds will be interesting this year.

Nailed on for Froome I'd've thought - fresh from the Vuelta training whilst Wiggins won't have done that much, and it's in Limburgh so got enough gradients that Martin and Cancelara won't have a chance? Doesn't it finish up the Cauberg or something?

JibberJim said:
Nailed on for Froome I'd've thought - fresh from the Vuelta training whilst Wiggins won't have done that much, and it's in Limburgh so got enough gradients that Martin and Cancelara won't have a chance? Doesn't it finish up the Cauberg or something?

it finishes after the cauberg

and what i've seen from froome/wiggins i don't think they are good 'classics/1-day' racers

Waterloo Sunrise said:
Stars aligned for Wiggins; Tony and Fabian are both better TTers (although Fabian is getting near to borrowed time on saying that).

Wiggins is undefeated in long ITTs this year. That's more than the "stars aligning". He's very convincingly the best time trialist in the world this year.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:

The theory is absurd though. Did wiggins ever win a long tt before this year? Cancellara will be 3 years from a monument by cobbles 2013. Does that mean he will be a total outsider for the win?

One could argue that canc hasn't focused on a long tt since tdf 10 or even worlds 09. I think this was a little bit.more important to.cancellara tan the other tts he's had this year, or last even

Just like Boonen Cancellara is going through a crap 2 year. He'll be back next year.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:

Yes, that's the biggest disappointment for me today. Fabian got through the first 20 minutes on adrenaline and then was really struggling to get comfortable, was shifting on the bars a lot before eventually sitting up

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
:confused:
I like Fabian as a rider. Even though he hasn't gotten the results he should after the 2010 season. When did I make a post that was very anti Cancellara? Unless of course stating the facts of his results is being anti spartacus.
The Hitch said:

What theory?

Always nice to hear a fair answer..
Westra said he thought he went very well and could turn the big gears well. "It's a bizar idea that the others went even way faster. I thought I was going really fast. But that means there's still a lot of work to do to go to the absolute top"

TRENDING THREADS