• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win the Tour 2013 - Wiggins or Contador?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Mount Megiddo

BANNED
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Angliru said:
What makes this year different from what you classify as this "different era of the sport"?

The same year, Contador broke the power record on the Verbier. He won't do that again. We've also learnt lots about what was going on in the team. Since then AC has not dominated in the TdF in the same way. I doubt he will again.

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Mount Megiddo said:
The same year, Contador broke the power record on the Verbier. He won't do that again. We've also learnt lots about what was going on in the team. Since then AC has not dominated in the TdF in the same way. I doubt he will again.

Just wait and see.

Mount Megiddo said:

In 2010 he was in bad form, in 2011 there was Giro + time loss because of crashes + injuries because of crashes. I'm not saying Alberto will dominate the Tour again, I don't know (neither do you) I'm just saying we can only draw conclusions when he retires.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Contador is better but then again we should not consider it outside the realms of possibility that Wiggins will get even better, considering how he has improved in the last 3 years.

And as Laf rightfully said in 2010 he was in bad form and that could very likely occur again in the 2013 Tour whilst with the rigorous training of Sky will likely ensure Wiggins is in top form, Contador and then Andy would be the favourites but Wiggins if he proves himself on the mountains stages of this year's Tour will certainly have a chance and of course the Tour is famed and loved for its unpredicatability.

Mount Megiddo said:

...and who made these power calculations? Weren't they later proven to be less than accurate in that they didn't take into consideration all the variables?
I could be wrong so please correct me if that is the case that my memory is failing me (it often does!:eek:).

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Mount Megiddo said:

Why not, he was 26 then, next year he will be 30, so his best years are ahead. The Etna performance last year was at similar level.

Tha Astana under Bruyneel was a little bit diferent it wasn't his team, even Vinokourov push him out more or less.

Why has not dominated since then... that's cycling.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Forunculo said:
Why not, he was 26 then, next year he will be 30, so his best years are ahead. The Etna performance last year was at similar level.

Tha Astana under Bruyneel was a little bit diferent it wasn't his team, even Vinokourov push him out more or less.

Why has not dominated since then... that's cycling.

It really depends on different cyclist though. One rider can be awesome early on and then fade with age. Riders progress differently.

Mount Megiddo

BANNED
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
hfer07 said:
+ 1000
SPOT ON
Do people think that Froome will be overshadowed by Wiggo next year after finishing 2nd (barring some freaking disaster) in this Tour?

Froome is such a fantastic rider that he deserves his own team. He should leave Sky at the end of season and try to win next year. It will be really interesting to potentially see a very even battle commense between about five riders - A Schleck, Contador, Wiggins, Froome and Evans.

Mount Megiddo said:
Froome is such a fantastic rider that he deserves his own team. He should leave Sky at the end of season and try to win next year. It will be really interesting to potentially see a very even battle commense between about five riders - A Schleck, Contador, Wiggins, Froome and Evans.

An even battle for second between 4 of them.