• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win the Tour 2013 - Wiggins or Contador?

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Will be the best grand tour since the Giro D'Italia 2010 and the TDF 2003. An epic duel between Contador- Sky- maybe Andy Schleck, for sure the young guys Thibaut Pinot, Joe Dombrowski and probably Nairo Quintana:D

iZnoGouD

BANNED
Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Jason_Mercier said:
Will be the best grand tour since the Giro D'Italia 2010 and the TDF 2003. An epic duel between Contador- Sky- maybe Andy Schleck, for sure the young guys Thibaut Pinot, Joe Dombrowski and probably Nairo Quintana:D

Hopefully Machado will be there too

I hope they don't go too far the other way now and have a ridiculously low number of ITT km's in 2013. This year's number (around 100) was absolutely fine, you just need more serious mountains stages to balance it out. Contador attempting to smash the Sky train in the big mountains could make for an epic race.

JRanton said:
I hope they don't go too far the other way now and have a ridiculously low number of ITT km's in 2013. This year's number (around 100) was absolutely fine, you just need more serious mountains stages to balance it out. Contador attempting to smash the Sky train in the big mountains could make for an epic race.

x10000

This years tour was a cobbled stage, a very difficult multi col MTF stage and Mont Ventoux away from being an almost perfect route

JRanton said:
You think in his current Vuelta form that he'd have beaten Wiggins on this year's Tour route? No chance.

lol what? Mountains last i checked are in 2nd and 3rd week. We havent even seen what Contador is like in the mountains.

Mixing it with Froome Valverde and Purito in the first week is definately a sign that he could put time into wiggins on any uphill finish, and thats just his first week mode.

JRanton said:

Funny how even after todays time trial (and all the others) some still see Contador as some Andy Schleck like character who will lose 10 minutes to Froome in tts.

Contador in 2013 will likely match or lose peanuts to Froome in tts, and certainly wont be needing no 60k breaks to makeup whatever time he may lose.

hfer07 said:
Wiggins? LOL

Contador vs Froome -round 2

I was thinking the other day that if Wiggins needs to find some motivation to defend his Tour title then he should spend a day reading the Cycling News Road Race forum. There's been nothing in this Vuelta so far from either Contador or Froome to give Wiggins sleepless nights.

The Hitch said:
Funny how even after todays time trial (and all the others) some still see Contador as some Andy Schleck like character who will lose 10 minutes to Froome in tts.

Contador in 2013 will likely match or lose peanuts to Froome in tts, and certainly wont be needing no 60k breaks to makeup whatever time he may lose.

I said in another thread that Contador will likely match Froome in the tts in 2013. I was referring to Wiggins, who I think could take about 2 minutes out of Contador in 100km of ITT. So it would be Wiggins' train (with Froome just in front of him) that Contador would have to smash.

JRanton said:
I was thinking the other day that if Wiggins needs to find some motivation to defend his Tour title then he should spend a day reading the Cycling News Road Race forum. There's been nothing in this Vuelta so far from either Contador or Froome to give Wiggins sleepless nights.

Hilarious what the month of july can do to a boy. Assuming one spent rider (from TDF) and one who lately has been returning to competition after six months and not even having a proper mountain yet to showing off will be the matchup in 2013. I guess there is fanboys and maniacs.

The way i look at it Wiggins will not even be a factor next year. May god or ASO give him a TT-route or something. At 33 he cant depend on Froome braking for him when going uphill and i dont think the second is too into the idea yet again. Still he need to follow Froome when Contador up the pace and there is a big if if sideburns are capable of just that.

The Hitch said:
lol what? Mountains last i checked are in 2nd and 3rd week. We havent even seen what Contador is like in the mountains.

Mixing it with Froome Valverde and Purito in the first week is definately a sign that he could put time into wiggins on any uphill finish, and thats just his first week mode.

We've seen more than enough climbing so far to know that Contador isn't in unbeatable form, which is what he'd have needed to beat Wiggins in this year's Tour. But ok, let's wait for the 2nd and 3rd week where he'll struggle to put any significant time into Purito or even worse, wheelsucking Froome for most of the climb like he did on the first serious climbing stage of this Vuelta.

No_Balls said:
Hilarious what the month of july can do to a boy. Assuming one spent rider (from TDF) and one who lately has been returning to competition after six months and not even having a proper mountain yet to showing off will be the matchup in 2013. I guess there is fanboys and maniacs.

The way i look at it Wiggins will not even be a factor next year. May god or ASO give him a TT-route or something. At 33 he cant depend on Froome braking for him when going uphill and i dont think the second is too into the idea yet again. Still he need to follow Froome when Contador up the pace and there is a big if if sideburns are capable of just that.

LOL. People still completely writing him off after he won the Tour by over three minutes and over six minutes ahead of the much hyped Nibali. Not to mention the fact that he's just had one of the best season's of any cyclist in the modern era. The only time he looked in a bit trouble on any climb in the Tour was when his teammate indulged in a bit of showboating. If I'm Wiggins, I'm thinking, bring on more serious mountains stages and let me prove them wrong (again).

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:

in other words, you think that the vuelta competition is stronger than the tour one?

airstream said:
in other words, you think that the vuelta competition is stronger than the tour one?

Wether is stronger or weaker is debatable.
But we can agree it's clearly more suited to this parcours. Keeping pace with Valverde and Purito on these kind of steep and short climbs is no easy task. And a not in perfect shape Contador is doing it.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to see Prudhomme design a route to favour Pinot and Rolland. Neither is going to win the race but it would make the battle of the big GC guys pretty epic.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
will10 said:
I'd like to see Prudhomme design a route to favour Pinot and Rolland. Neither is going to win the race but it would make the battle of the big GC guys pretty epic.

what kind of route suits them with participating Сontador, Schleck and Froome?

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
will10 said:

A route that would favour Pinot and Rolland would be the perfect route for Contador in my opinion and I don't see either of them being good enough to challenge him in any real way yet.