• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win the Tour 2013 - Wiggins or Contador?

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I think Andy Schleck is history, six months out, the positive of his brother. Too much for him. And Brad can win The TDF only with one ITT of 50 kms and a TTT. I think people overrate his level in the mountain of the TDF this year. Sky is in m. advantage and they can battle against the opponents and the route also. :(

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I think Wiggins will have difficulty in appying the same focus to his winter training as he did last year.The TT worlds could be a once in a lifetime opportunity for him to win.
Maybe he is just burnt out like Froome and Porte.I am not sure Wiigins will ever be as good as he was last year.

Its the centenary of the TdF so I expect some big MTF in there. If thats the case, for me, there is only one winner, Contador.

They need to keep mixing it up (MTF, TT, Sprints) to keep it interesting, if we had another Tour similar to this year man, the viewing figures would drop and along with that sponsorship!

I predict a top 10 for Wiggins, but IMO he wont be in the mix for GC, it will be Bertie all the way.

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
This situation reminds the 99 Tour when people said "Nahhh, this Lance Armstrong nothing to do against Ullrich and Pantani" So the next year all came to Earth and we saw the importance of the m. advantages.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Jason_Mercier said:
Evans was too much for both in 2011. And Wiggins is in other level. But people dont want to see it.

U seem to forget that Contador was far from 100% in 2011 Tour due to doing the Giro and crashing.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Jason_Mercier said:
This situation reminds the 99 Tour when people said "Nahhh, this Lance Armstrong nothing to do against Ullrich and Pantani" So the next year all came to Earth and we saw the importance of the m. advantages.

U would be well adviced not to compare Wiggins with Amrstrong in these days ;)

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
infeXio said:
Yes, because Contador was CLEARLY in top shape in the 2011 Tour.

No. But Andy Scheck yes. And Andy Schleck dont have anything to do against Wiggins or Froome. And you all know it. In a edition of only 50 kms of TT Andy Schleck dont have possibilities. The lost with Wiggins or Froome 3 or 4'. Too much. And Andy Schleck spent the year doing nothing. He will arrive in 2013 completely out of shape and whitout the competition rhytm.

Here is my thoughts on the main contenders for next year's TdF.

I can see Froome being very very hungry for the Tour, he has had a series of good GC placements (Heck 4th in this year's Vuelta if he achieves it is no mean feat, especially considering he rode arguably the hardest in this year's TdF). His Time Trialling I would judge to be roughly equivalent to Contador's , depending on the course - slightly better on a flat stage perhaps slightly less good on a hilly TT. Maybe he is slightly better with fresh legs but it is not a huge difference. His personal life seems well suited to the winter training as he has no kids as far as I am aware. His weaknesses may be a certain amount of tactical naivety as team leader that he has displayed in this year's Vuelta (Burning up domestiques too quickly) but I am sure Brailsford will talk about this with him if he gets the role of team captain at the TdF.

Wiggins - He clearly is the best GC contention Time Triallist in the world, even a crap winter training schedule won't change him probably winning next year's TDF time trial. Can he maintain his form for the mountains though, and will Sky make him the team leader or will they make Froome. Those are the big unknowns. Also, although hes clearly not 'off the rails' the man has enjoyed a (well earned) few drinks and smokes after his phenomenal success this year. There is also the issue of whether he can train as hard this winter and is prepared to miss his family and such. The parcours will of course have a bigger influence on Sky than anyone else since they will choose their captain based on it.

Contador - He is the best all round rider in the world at the moment. Weaknesses, I think he is probably ever so slightly weaker than Froome on a flat TT (If they are both fresh), he won't be as fast as Wiggins in the TT. His Saxo Team whilst strong, I don't think it is quite the same level as a full strength Sky team. He is going to be hungry to win more Tour De France, but will he also want to go for the Giro again ? If he focusses clearly on the TdF and there are enough hard mountain stages he probably will destroy the Sky Train in the mountains. Mentally his attacks put alot of pressure on a team captain as well as physically so if Wiggins found the 2012 Tour mentally tough, boy will he find it a hundred times harder if he is carrying an advantage from the Time trials into the mountains and being relentlessly attacked by Contador, obviously this applies to Froome too.

Schleck, the big unknown. He never seems to be fit at the moment for whatever reason and though he is obviously maybe the most talented climber in the world, I think he will lose way too much time in the Time Trials. He also has the weakest team of the main contenders. These factors mean that I don't think he can win the TdF.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Jason_Mercier said:
No. But Andy Scheck yes. And Andy Schleck dont have anything to do against Wiggins or Froome. And you all know it. In a edition of only 50 kms of TT Andy Schleck dont have possibilities. The lost with Wiggins or Froome 3 or 4'. Too much. And Andy Schleck spent the year doing nothing. He will arrive in 2013 completely out of shape and whitout the competition rhytm.

Nope, I don't think Andy Schleck wasn't 100% in that tour and he still did a quite impressive solo. Wiggins hasn't proved anything against real climbers.

Contador made fun of Nibali, the only guy besides Froome who could hurt Wiggins. Or was Nibali not 100% in the giro'11, on what do you base yourself then? lol

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
The person who makes wiggins Armstrong comparisons the most is wiggins.
Actually that honour would go to you since that is all you ever post these days. I guess it makes a change from Sammy Sanchez losing time at the Tour last year. ;)

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Don't be late Pedro said:
Doubt he would have smashed him on the last tour. Could Contador have won. Sure. He is a damn good TTer. Would have been very interesting.

Contador in top shape would have won this, no doubt.

But he needs to be in top shape of course. Wiggins is too limited to even try and follow him.

And in the TT's I think Contador in top shape would have lost max 2 minutes on both TT. Maybe even less.

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Miburo said:
Contador in top shape would have won this, no doubt.

But he needs to be in top shape of course. Wiggins is too limited to even try and follow him.

And in the TT's I think Contador in top shape would have lost max 2 minutes on both TT. Maybe even less.
Think it might have been close but your are probably right. Still if such a race had occurred would Sky have let Froome chase Contador rather then stay with Wiggins with the Tour at risk? Probably make the same mistake as 2011 Vuelta.

Don't be late Pedro said:
Actually that honour would go to you since that is all you ever post these days. I guess it makes a change from Sammy Sanchez losing time at the Tour last year. ;)

No i just post that they are best friends, sure i laugh at the blatant similarities on occasion but the wiggins Armstrong comparison thread is mostly not me.

Samus time has gone now but i will still oppose ttts and sympathise with anyone who loses time on them, yes even if its someone from the Armstrong wiggins fabiani mcquiad ligget clique;)

TRENDING THREADS