• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win the Tour de France this year?

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the Tour de France 2011?

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Yes, you putting Evans 4th is something. Evans will be much better than he has been before. A lot of us Cadel fanboys are more confident before. He's having a great season but hanging low. He's been in Sierra Nevada for the past two weeks with Santaromita training in Sierra nevada.

It will be a good percentage booster for the pies tommorow, TLR. In all fairness, Eagles will be top 4 this year. They are a very good side.

The problem with Cuddles is that he always seems to have at least one bad day in the mountains.

luckyboy said:

Hey, Ricco is on that list :p Oh how I wish that was correct.

Anyway, whoever other than ACF that picked Cadel is crazy. He had his chance twice and blew it both times. Ain't gonna happen. He just doesn't have the acceleration which is something he needs if he's going to take on Contador this year. Every year he consistently gets dropped when the speed increases on the climbs.

I'm obviously going with Contador. He owned the Giro and will probably do it again at the Tour. Maybe Schleck can stay with him, but he's not going to get any time on him. He didn't last year except for the uphill sprint with Samu.

I see the podium as:
1) Contador
2) A. Schleck
3) F. Schleck - Andy will drag him to the podium even if he has to sacrifice himself.

I haven't seen enough of Basso to judge him yet, but I don't think it will happen. I think Gesink is a good top 5 choice as is Samu, but I can't see either one getting ahead of Alberterol.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Contador, even at 95% of Giro form he's more than a match for Schleck, either of them. He's at a different level, way beyond anyone else at the minute. On last years form yeah it would be close but now, no chance. I believe Basso is a better option that Schleck this year because without Riis, Andy's lost. His new kindergarden teacher just doesn't have the same strategic nous.

Anyway.....
Contador
Basso
Andy

Polls should have let people view who votes for who option by default because many people dont realise its there, defeating part of the fun with polls.

I would especially like to know the identity of these 10 individuals who actually think that Gesink will win the Tour.

Moondance said:
September 1, 1939.... It was the start of a pretty well known event

It doesnt say september 1, rather just September. The line before the September is a l not a 1, which divides the name from the date;)

(Will probably get attacked for picking on dutch posters again:rolleyes:)

But kudos for aknowledging it started in September. Here they give that period the pathetic title "phony war" because presumably only when Westerners start dying does something actually become a war:rolleyes:

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
where is the Basso love? I really believe Basso is going to WOW this year. I don't remember a time when three men were so close going in. This is going to be an incredible year. I have to say that Contador does look absolutely unbeatable. And I don't think the Giro has taken too much out of him. He looked as fresh on the last day as he did on the first.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Polls should have let people view who votes for who option by default because many people dont realise its there, defeating part of the fun with polls.

I would especially like to know the identity of these 10 individuals who actually think that Gesink will win the Tour.

It wasn't me. I actually didn't vote, I rarely do in polls, dunno why :eek:

schleck will win.
AC will either not ride, or fail at the tour. :cool:

mombus said:
where is the Basso love? I really believe Basso is going to WOW this year. I don't remember a time when three men were so close going in. This is going to be an incredible year. I have to say that Contador does look absolutely unbeatable. And I don't think the Giro has taken too much out of him. He looked as fresh on the last day as he did on the first.

I don't think it's about freshness, but more about conserving the form or rather peak again for the Tour. Still....I also voted for Contador :D As for Basso...I don't know how to rate him yet. I'll have to wait for his results during June.

I think the six names are accurate.

I bunch Contador and Schleck together. As there is no guarantee that both (mainly Contador) will be like they were last year.

So:

Contador/A Schleck
Sanchez
Evans
Basso
Gesink

But there will probably be a Shack and Frank in there to mess it up. Evans can top3 but only if it's a very defensive race, otherwise Basso and Gesink's superior climbing will have more of an advantage. I guess though if it's defensive there's 7 or 8 names you could have altogether fighting for the remaining top5 positions.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:

It doesnt say september 1, rather just September. The line before the September is a l not a 1, which divides the name from the date;)

But kudos for aknowledging it started in September. Here they give that period the pathetic title "phony war" because presumably only when Westerners start dying does something actually become a war:rolleyes:

Must have been Robert Gesink himself and his 9 sockpuppet-accounts. :D

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
I think contador will win if he turns up, he can even wheel suck andy the entire way and smash him in the ITT. That is andys big problem, always has been. It may even cause him to loose a spot on the podium to gesink and evans.
No one will beat contador if they all ride conservatively. it will take some guts to do but someone or a group would need to attack from along way out. If they wait for contador to go, they will just watch him ride away!

El Pistolero said:
I think Frank Schleck will do great as well. Don't know why you leave him out.

I don't see him making the top five because he will be supporting his brother and the TT is always a problem. His climbing can also be inconsistent from stage to stage. I think he is one rider who has never lived up to expectations in grand tours. I thought he would have achieved better results. On his day though, he can climb as well as anyone.

The Hitch said:

I don't think Gesink will win but I think he can make the podium. Basso I think may miss the top three. I know that early races cannot be always used as a guide but he has had an up and down year with illness and form. I see Gesink as the preferred choice for the podium. VDB not far off either.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
You guys gotta be kidding me andy not being on the podium. I guess you guys didnt watch 2010 tour or 2009 tour. He has always been the 2nd best climber to contador and is ever improving. His form this year has been much better than previous years. Its only if he gets 2nd or first.

El Pistolero said:
I think Frank Schleck will do great as well. Don't know why you leave him out.

I think he will do great as well and rate him as a top 4 four climber. He would be in the poll if he was captain, instead of riding in support for a rider who is far from declining, making a Riis/Ullrich scenario unlikely.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
dlwssonic said:
You guys gotta be kidding me andy not being on the podium. I guess you guys didnt watch 2010 tour or 2009 tour. He has always been the 2nd best climber to contador and is ever improving. His form this year has been much better than previous years. Its only if he gets 2nd or first.

Form is totally irrelevant with Schleck. A week before the tour he could be absolutely **** house and the next week he will be in top form. Just look at the tour de suisse last year. He was pretty average last year but came a close 2nd. In my opinion he is tatically inept (remember Liege?). He was alright in California but nothing special.