• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win the Tour?

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win?

• Nibali

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • Quintana

Votes: 35 20.6%
  • Contador

Votes: 47 27.6%
  • Froome

Votes: 46 27.1%
  • Pinot

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Peraud

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Bardet

• Rodriguez

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • van Garderen

• Betancur/other

Votes: 5 2.9%

• Total voters
Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

Arredondo said:
Mr.White said:
You do realize that without stage 13 deficit of 10 min he would end up second in 2013 Tour, the one that he got owned by Purito :confused: . And you say after last year's embarrassment ... So 4th place, AHEAD of Purito, Bardet and Van Garderen is an embarassment?!!! You're a little lost, seems to me... :rolleyes:

Yeah, Purito was riding for GC last year :eek:

At least try to get the facts straight if you discuss about something ;)

I voted for your guy in the poll, for the record. I consider him a great rider, but.., Bala is better rider for me

Nibali doesn't sound very confident on eve of Tour: "There are good and bad seasons. You have to accept that.”

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/07/news/nibali-we-are-not-machines_376231

He could be bluffing, but I'm already pretty sure that Tejay and Pinot will be able to outclimb him. I know the Tour is not all about the climbs, but I'm not convinced.

If Contador is too tired, I could be a battle between Froome and Quintana in the mountains.

Re:

mr. tibbs said:
I want to see Contador do the double, but I think that Froome is looking to be 2013-esque.

Heart: Contador
Head: Froome

Since this is "Who will win" and not "Who do you want to win," I voted Froome. Sigh. :eek:

Same thing here. I want Contador to win, but Froome looks even skinnier than in 2013. So..

Re:

Miburo said:
I don't think froome will ride away from nibali.

It's been a while since i've seen a good full genius

The 6.5 watts/kg ride up Mont Blanc was only a half-genius? Froome's results in Dauphine alone are better than anything Nibali did in the Tour last year.

I was more impressed by TJVG who I think could very well outperform Nibali this year. Same with Pinot.

WheelofGear said:
The 6.5 watts/kg ride up Mont Blanc was only a half-genius? Froome's results in Dauphine alone are better than anything Nibali did in the Tour last year.

I was more impressed by TJVG who I think could very well outperform Nibali this year. Same with Pinot.

Jim Halpert--I mean, Pinot--is totally my guy this year. I think he may podium again, depending on how well Quintana's form develops for the final week.

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Ok, I think Quintana will be superstrong in the mountains and predict he wont lose any time here on his rivals. So where can he lose the tour, given he avoids crashes? He will surely lose some time on stage 1. Where else? Huystage? Hardly see that happening. Stage 4. Dangerous stage for him. Malori, Dowsett and Castroviejo will be crucial for him here on and between the paves. Echelons? Also a danger, again Malori, Dowsett and Castroviejo must see to it that no gaps occur. Movistar looks strong for stage 9 TTT: powerhouses like Malori, Dowsett and Castroviejo will work hard on the flatter sections, then the strong climbers take over for the last 2k. Can decents cost him time? Maybe, but there only one real downhill finish in this years tour, namely stage 16.

So, if Quintana gets through the first week without without losing more than 30-45 seconds on his main rivals and manages to avoid gaps on crucial decents, I think he is in a strong position to win the tour. But sure, it is a lot of ifs and buts.

Re:

Punkan said:
Ok, I think Quintana will be superstrong in the mountains and predict he wont lose any time here on his rivals. So where can he lose the tour, given he avoids crashes? He will surely lose some time on stage 1. Where else? Huystage? Hardly see that happening. Stage 4. Dangerous stage for him. Malori, Dowsett and Castroviejo will be crucial for him here on and between the paves. Echelons? Also a danger, again Malori, Dowsett and Castroviejo must see to it that no gaps occur. Movistar looks strong for stage 9 TTT: powerhouses like Malori, Dowsett and Castroviejo will work hard on the flatter sections, then the strong climbers take over for the last 2k. Can decents cost him time? Maybe, but there only one real downhill finish in this years tour, namely stage 16.

So, if Quintana gets through the first week without without losing more than 30-45 seconds on his main rivals and manages to avoid gaps on crucial decents, I think he is in a strong position to win the tour. But sure, it is a lot of ifs and buts.
'
Quintana will drop time in the first week if we have any men in this race.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Gigs_98 said:
ILovecycling said:
According to L'Equipe, the Astana team will not be allowed to replace Boom because the test results came after the managers meeting.
Astana already down to 8 riders for ttt.
I am not the biggest astana fan but I think you can say generally that this is bad news
It is, I hope they can figure it out (not leving mpcc tho,that would be laughable :eek: )

Re:

Punkan said:

The closer Quintana is to the other three entering the mountains, the less likely it is that he will be able to ride away from them to win the tour. I call it the "Lucho effect." When Herrera burst onto the scene, he could drop the best climbers from Europe with ease, but would lose massive time on the flats, cobbles, TTs. The more he improved in other disciplines, the worse his climbing got, to the point that he was no longer a contender and was routinely dropped by more powerful "diesel" climbers in the high mountains (this was still before EPO was rampant enough to be the blame for his decline- see Abts book on the 1988 season). That's not to say that all Columbians are Lucho clones, but Quintana is strikingly similar in size/stature/style to the 1st wave of Colombians in the Tour.

Nibali.

This Tour requires lot of versatility and flexibility and there is no better GC rider than Nibali on this front. Had Contador not ridden the Giro I would have picked him, but now I see him as a dark horse instead of a favourite.
Froome might be as strong in 2013, but his competion is far stronger than then. He needs to show qualities previously unseen to win this Tour, pure power alone won't be enough this time around.
For Quintana the first week is too much of a question mark for me to pick him as a 2015 Tour winner. If he is within a minute of his main rivals after TTT he becomes the number one favourite for me.

GC (stage 1)
1 Rohan DENNIS AUS BMC
9 Wilco KELDERMAN NED TLJ 30
11 Robert GESINK NED TLJ 33
14 Bauke MOLLEMA NED TFR 37
17 Rigoberto URAN URAN COL EQS 40
18 Thibaut PINOT FRA FDJ 41
20 Tejay VAN GARDEREN USA BMC 42
22 Vincenzo NIBALI ITA AST 43
39 Christopher FROOME GBR SKY 50
43 Alejandro VALVERDE BELMONTE ESP MOV 56
46 Alberto CONTADOR VELASCO ESP TCS 58
50 Jean-Christophe PERAUD FRA ALM 59
57 Nairo Alexander QUINTANA ROJAS COL MOV +1:01
90 Andrew TALANSKY USA TCG +1:15

cineteq said:
GC (stage 1)
1 Rohan DENNIS AUS BMC
9 Wilco KELDERMAN NED TLJ 30
11 Robert GESINK NED TLJ 33
14 Bauke MOLLEMA NED TFR 37
17 Rigoberto URAN URAN COL EQS 40
18 Thibaut PINOT FRA FDJ 41
20 Tejay VAN GARDEREN USA BMC 42
22 Vincenzo NIBALI ITA AST 43
39 Christopher FROOME GBR SKY 50
43 Alejandro VALVERDE BELMONTE ESP MOV 56
46 Alberto CONTADOR VELASCO ESP TCS 58
50 Jean-Christophe PERAUD FRA ALM 59
57 Nairo Alexander QUINTANA ROJAS COL MOV +1:01
90 Andrew TALANSKY USA TCG +1:15

Yes I just voted for Vincenzo after today's result. Would be funny if the defending champion who virtually nobody was tipping over the other big 3 could pull it off. I still think a lot of people under estimated Nibali's form last year when he was never truly tested once AC and Froome pulled out. The dark horse will be Quintana once get to the hills.

perico said:
Punkan said:

The closer Quintana is to the other three entering the mountains, the less likely it is that he will be able to ride away from them to win the tour. I call it the "Lucho effect." When Herrera burst onto the scene, he could drop the best climbers from Europe with ease, but would lose massive time on the flats, cobbles, TTs. The more he improved in other disciplines, the worse his climbing got, to the point that he was no longer a contender and was routinely dropped by more powerful "diesel" climbers in the high mountains (this was still before EPO was rampant enough to be the blame for his decline- see Abts book on the 1988 season). That's not to say that all Columbians are Lucho clones, but Quintana is strikingly similar in size/stature/style to the 1st wave of Colombians in the Tour.

I think you are confusing the Lucho effect a bit. He had bad days in the mountains more than what you said. But He was usually a very good climber and one of the best. That is usually the case with the smaller riders or pure climbers. I call it the pure climber’s effect. We already discussed it here. Delgado never won a Tour until he could managed the bad days in the Tour. But when not a bad day, he was one of the best.

Having said that, I think Quintana is a different rider to Lucho, both, mentally and physically.

Exciting times to come!

GC (stage 2)
1. CANCELLARA Fabian TREK FACTORY RACING
7. URAN URAN Rigoberto ETIXX-QUICK STEP + 00' 42''
8. VAN GARDEREN Tejay BMC RACING TEAM + 00' 44''
10. FROOME Christopher TEAM SKY + 00' 48''
14. CONTADOR Alberto TINKOFF-SAXO + 01' 00''
28. GESINK Robert TEAM LOTTO NL - JUMBO + 01' 59''''
30. MOLLEMA Bauke TREK FACTORY RACING + 02' 03''
31. PINOT Thibaut FDJ + 02' 07''
33. NIBALI Vincenzo ASTANA PRO TEAM + 02' 09''
39. VALVERDE BELMONTE Alejandro MOVISTAR TEAM + 02' 22''