• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Who Will Win the Vuelta 2019?

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the Vuelta 2019?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
ECju8zJWkAAcJ-w.jpg:large

In this case you have to take into account results other than just GTs and monuments along with other podium results. Valverde has been on the podium of Lombardia as well as Amstel. Finished top 10 at Flanders, has record number of wins in several races, and has a lot more wins in general than Nibali.
Yeah, people often forget that Valverde is a contender in almost every race he enters, on almost every terrain, except pan flat. They often forget he has 7 WC medals, a ridiculous achievement! Achieved on various terrains, form rolling to mountain. He came second to Boonen in an 30-40 men sprint, third to Gilbert and Boasson Hagen in an explosive Cauberg finale, and duke it out with the likes of Bardet and Woods on a 20% wall. And at the same time ha has 18 :eek:!!! top 10 placings in Grand Tours! Who comes even close to that? I think no one.
Nibali? Yes, a magnificent rider, a legend in his own right, but not as consistent and versatile as Valverde. When he sets his mind on something and hits the right form he can produce miracles, like his San Remo win, and in that regard he's better than Valverde, no doubt about that. But he can't be up there in every race and on every terrain like Bala can, not even close, no one can.
Alaphilippe? Amazing rider already, best in the world right now. In the classics he showed he has the potential to become all-time legend, maybe greater than Valverde. He also, similar to Valverde, has the potential to be a threat in every terrain. In GT's he showed what he can do in this year's Tour, and if he focuses solely on the Grand Tours he could surely snitch at least a podium, if not the win itself. But here's the main difference: he must focus on that! Valverde doesn't need to do that. He just rides... The way Alaphilippe's career is developing I see him winning lots of classics, the big ones, I see him winning a couple of big stage races like Paris-Nice or Pais Vasco, plus lots of stages, but I don't see him winning or podium GT's, unless he makes big shift in his career focus. He just doesn't have that skillset as wide as Valverde has.

Oh man I hate when GC contenders have bad luck and don't show up. So now after Yates, Geraint and Dumoulin not coming, we may not even have Carapaz.

I hope this isn't some sort of Ineos vs Movistar thing because he's leaving after this season but maybe I'm just being paranoid. If nothing is broken he should start since I think.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Oh man I hate when GC contenders have bad luck and don't show up. So now after Yates, Geraint and Dumoulin not coming, we may not even have Carapaz.

I hope this isn't some sort of Ineos vs Movistar thing because he's leaving after this season but maybe I'm just being paranoid. If nothing is broken he should start since I think.
its his own fault for riding crit races 2-3 days before the frickin Vuelta.

Of course it doesnt have something to do with that. Otherwise Movistar simply wouldnt have selected him in the first place.

Forgot about Uran. Be interested to see how he backs up after the Tour. If Carapaz doesn't start it's a bit of a depleted field this year with no Froome as well. Starting to think that Quintana might have a shot if he can regain some climbing consistency. According to the poll it seems to be now or never for Roglic.

Being fair to Carapaz and Unzue, this injury just happens to occur in a Crit. Bernal missed the Giro because of a crash in training. Froome missed the Tour (and the rest of the season) because of a crash on a TT recon. Pozzovivo got hit by a car. Injuries happen in this sport, and not just when competing. Presumably everyone else who took the start line in that crit was unhurt and fit to ride the next day.

Reactions: Flamin and primoz

TRENDING THREADS