• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Who Will Win the Vuelta 2019?

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the Vuelta 2019?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
All the moaning about the strength of the field and dubious arguments aside I think this will be a great race and I am looking forward to it

I think the first half of the GC battle will definitely be Roglic v Chaves v Valverde
And what is not to like about that ..
Uran will also be up there and Quintana

Expect the later half of the race see MAL , Aru & a few more enter the battle. The Vuelta is usually won towards the end which is another thing I like about this race

Its going to be storming

Interesting to see what Podgcar & Martinez can do

No way will Roglic walk it imo but he will win
MAL & Quintana on the podium

One of the 'favorites' has a 6th place in a 2.1 race as the best GC result this year and another said that he is using the Vuelta to prepare for the Worlds.

Were Kruijswijk and Aru busy that day?

Are you talking about Chaves? It was 2.HC (not very important, granted) and the first part of the season was always about finding his feet.

Also, the worlds a bigger target for him than the Vuelta? That would make zero sense.

Are you talking about Chaves? It was 2.HC (not very important, granted) and the first part of the season was always about finding his feet.

Also, the worlds a bigger target for him than the Vuelta? That would make zero sense.

Oh, right, I am apparently still living in 2018.

Finding his feet or not, a rider with this kind of season should not be considered a GT GC favorite

https://cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/rider_palm.asp?riderid=16941&year=2019&all=1&current=0

And the second part refers to Fuglsang.

After the TTT Superman López is looking like a real contender. However he can still lose 2-3 minutes in the ITT. Astana was successful in the one-week races in the first part of the season by riding aggressively as a team, so I hope they don't change their strategy now. López will still need to take time on Roglic, and also on people like Kelderman and Urán.

Yeah Roglic is definitely climbing better than in the Giro right now. I really feel like Lopez needed more time than 12s today. In this form, Roglic could well take time on MAL on the hilly Basque stages, and he won't lose much on the murito's if at all either.

I'm not sure what is a better or worse climbing Roglic since all he is doing this year in GTs is follow wheels. There's of course a certain level needed to do this depending on the watts developed by the man in front of him. Anyway, he was the favorite, still is. Lopez unreliable, Nairo an inconsistent mistery, Valverde will most likely have his bad day (s) and the others don't matter.

I'm not sure what is a better or worse climbing Roglic since all he is doing this year in GTs is follow wheels. There's of course a certain level needed to do this depending on the watts developed by the man in front of him. Anyway, he was the favorite, still is. Lopez unreliable, Nairo an inconsistent mistery, Valverde will most likely have his bad day (s) and the others don't matter.
Could Pogacar be a surprise? I think he had a really great stage 5 and will probably do well in the ITT, but expecting him to be really strong in week 3 is probably asking too much of the 20-year-old. It kind of looks like MAL and Roglič have to be the big favorites (for now).

In the Giro, maybe. But yesterday was some very high level climbing.

He's cautious to not blow himself up. Taking turns with Valverde was a safe option.

TRENDING THREADS