• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who wins the Tour 2017?

Who will win the Tour de France 2017?

• Alberto Contador

Votes: 31 13.4%
  • Alejandro Valverde

Votes: 14 6.0%
  • Chris Froome

Votes: 93 40.1%
  • Daniel Martin

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Esteban Chaves

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Fabio Aru

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • Nairo Quintana

Votes: 24 10.3%
  • Richie Porte

Votes: 48 20.7%
  • Romain Bardet

Votes: 7 3.0%
  • Thibaut Pinot

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Somehow I can't see Porte winning, so the obvious choice would be Quintana or Froome. Contador might surprise us with a monster peak like 2014 Nibali, so I won't count him out. The rest only rides for top 5 or a podium spot if one of the top guys cracks.

I'm guessing Froome once again if he's the second strongest rider after Porte. Physically, that is. His mental strenght is obviously far superior, he has the team advantage on the climbs, and can actually descend a bit, which may actually matter this time (Chambery)

If Froome, OTOH, is the fittest GC guy in the race I think Sky could "surprise" and have Henao up there, too, somewhere.

But yeah, my money's on Froome, regardless.

Jun 8, 2017
Visit site
Apart from a crash or illness, Froome will take this one easily, even though Porte is looking stronger in the mountains.
Quintana will come tired from the Giro, and Contador is yet to show good form this year.
Team Sky is just too strong.

Hope I'm wrong and we have some surprises :)
Otherwise it's just going to be boring, again...

If Porte will be as strong as indicated by the Dauphine and neither fades in the last week or has a bad day he could very well take this, or at least in that case he would probably be the strongest rider. Froome however has the experience and a superior team so I still see him as the favorite. For me Quintana, Contador and Valverde are outsiders but I can imagine them winning. Quintana showed last year that he can be very strong in a 2nd consecutive gt, Contador is a complete uncertainty for me but I wouldn't completely count him out, and Valverde has been in the shape of his life so far this season and let's not forget, when he got 3rd in the tour 2015 he was pretty bad in the Dauphine as well.

Movistar will take it, either with Quintana or Valverde. I think Quintana will be better than at the Giro and Valverde could profit from tactical battle.
Froome is not so strong anymore.
Porte lacks consistency and experience to battle on the highest level for 3 weeks.
Contador is past his prime, I don't think he has it in him anymore

Just impossible for me to see past Froome. Porte and Valverde have been the best stages racers this year, but we know that they are massively prone to bad days in the GTs.

Quintana is by far the most intruiging factor. If he comes here with the form he had in the Vuelta last year then he has a chance, but it's hard to see that given how deep he went in the last week of the Giro.

Aru's (+ Fuglsang's) renaissance could be a factor, I guess, but I think anyone else apart from the new big four will do very well to land on the lower steps of the podium.

Froome is the obvious favorite and he knows what it takes to win. Even if he's slightly worse than last year, I think he'll win. I want to believe that Porte can hold it together. If he can I think he has an equal chance of winning. Quintana should round out the podium. I don't see him being aggressive enough win. I think he could win if he came in with the exact same form as he is going to, but had the mentality of a champion.

I voted for AC though! Never trust the polls people. Never.

Froome is the obvious favourite and will be the one they all have to beat. Quintana for a change has little expectation on him which might well suit him and I think he is the main danger. Porte is the rider with the best form but I don't think he has the temperament to see out the 3 weeks without suffering at some point and his team is not as strong as Sky/Movistar. I'll go for:

1) Froome
2) Quintana
3) Porte

Would be amazed if anyone but those 3 were to win it.

Contador is finished as a GC rider and I'd prefer to see him hunting stages at this point in his career. Also don't know what Dan Martin is doing on the list in the poll, absolutely no chance of winning GC he is another rider better suited to stage hunting.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Gigs_98 said:
If Porte will be as strong as indicated by the Dauphine and neither fades in the last week or has a bad day he could very well take this, or at least in that case he would probably be the strongest rider. Froome however has the experience and a superior team so I still see him as the favorite. For me Quintana, Contador and Valverde are outsiders but I can imagine them winning. Quintana showed last year that he can be very strong in a 2nd consecutive gt, Contador is a complete uncertainty for me but I wouldn't completely count him out, and Valverde has been in the shape of his life so far this season and let's not forget, when he got 3rd in the tour 2015 he was pretty bad in the Dauphine as well.
How to say many words yet manage not to answer simple question. I like it though: "if Porte is strongest he'll win probably. ". Yep, that's spot on :) "Contador is uncertain but he can win". Well who or what is certain in cycling? And so on. I am sorry for this, I couldn't help myself.

Froome by about 2 minutes. Despite a rather lackluster spring, he focuses 100% on the Tour, and the course fits him. He will do well enough in the TT's, and the Sky Train will safety deliver him to the last 2km or so of every summit finish.

Yes, that means I anticipate a boring Tour.