• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who won the 2010 tour?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

who won the 2010 tour de france

• JTL

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Just to get an overview on what the majority opinion is. is the courts decision accepted?

Sorry. If there was any flaw in CAS's finding then Bertie's legal team would have lodged an appeal long before now. Thems the rules and that's that.

Complain about the rules if you wish, but not the finding - Andy Schleck won the 2010 Tour fair and square. My sympathies lie with the winner and not with the rider who was (eventually) thrown out. It was, after all, Schleck who was denied the honour of mounting the top step of the podium in Paris - not Contador.

theyoungest said:
Yeah, instead of taking that Giro win from him, they should give him the Nobel Prize of cycling for putting on a show in the knowledge that it could all be for naught. This is a real cyclist.

I disagree and view this totally opposite. I don't believe Contador would have even ridden the Giro if he wasn't in danger of a suspension. He was trying to play the "my suspension would be bad for cycling" angle. The more wins he achieved, the more modifications made to the record books, the more of a mockery it makes of the sport. Nobody wants that.

During the offseason he even stated he would ride all three GT's (after he said he would retire if confirmed positive). All he was doing was trying to influence the decision makers and show how much better the sport is with him participating. Gobble up as many wins as possible so they're less inclined to sanction him. Just my opinion of course.

JTL gets my vote. He is so dominant that he would have won it as a junior.

El Pistolero said:
No, I said Valverde should get a full ban and not get his results scrapped. I'd rather have if Contador was banned for 2012 and still keep his results from 2011.

You said that as well but you would also argue when for example i said that valverde outaprinted freire in pv, things like - no he didn't he has been banned so he wasn't there.

nowhereman said:

What a pathetic joke cycling has become due to this bizarre, ambiguous decision, and the length of time it took to resolve. ...

Cycling is the LOSER, in this case.

It was made a pathetic joke quite a while before this, it is just another confirmation. Agree, cycling is ultimately the victimized loser. As well as us fans. The true losers by definition are the dopers.

nice one hitch.people's champion deserved it.

about the winner of 2010 of course for me is alberto.nothing to do with hate or love andy,that's my way of seeing how things work in pro sport including pro cycling.for me the competition ends on the final day podium not in the labs or in the politics.on the road it's all what matters.
i will always remember contador as the winner,as i will always remember floyd or heras winners in their competition too.

and i even have a pic:

contadorpg-horizontal.jpg

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
if the test had already been finished and the result made public during the tour, we wouldnt even discuss this. People are simply lazy and dont want to open up the files in their memory. Some of the arguments here are really frightening, if the manipulation of an election is discoverede some weeks later the results should still count???Is George W posting?

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Sophistic said:
if the test had already been finished and the result made public during the tour, we wouldnt even discuss this. People are simply lazy and dont want to open up the files in their memory. Some of the arguments here are really frightening, if the manipulation of an election is discoverede some weeks later the results should still count???Is George W posting?

Spot On!!! That's why Orwell's Big Brother works. Ask any of the Contador apologists if they think that drug cheats should be thrown out of a race and they will agree. Ask if Contador failed a drugs test and they will (reluctantly) agree.

But this is where 'double think' comes in. The ability to believe in two contradictory propositions. And they can do it in spades.....

Truth, decency, fair play, the rule of law. Forget it. Nothing stands in the way of the fanboy.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Sophistic said:

Sport is not like an election, in an election it is whoever gets the most votes that wins, in sport it is whoever is strongest to make it to the finish line first. And it is not 100% certain that Contador knowingly doped too increase his performance.

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
For me the rules cant be ignored, if he tested positive and get banned he cant be the winner, then andy schleck its the winner, its a sport and tour de france is ridden every year so then there should be a winner, there are always winners and can be better's, worse's or lucky's and its not needed to be the best GC rider for win it, all the wins cant be rated as the same but there are tdf wins anyway.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
cycladianpirate said:
Sorry. If there was any flaw in CAS's finding then Bertie's legal team would have lodged an appeal long before now. Thems the rules and that's that.

Complain about the rules if you wish, but not the finding - Andy Schleck won the 2010 Tour fair and square. My sympathies lie with the winner and not with the rider who was (eventually) thrown out. It was, after all, Schleck who was denied the honour of mounting the top step of the podium in Paris - not Contador.
Excuse me but "thems the rules" can be Okay for you, but in this case, it's absolute garbage. When they determined that he is guilty because of having ingested a contaminated food supplement, that is the same as eating your cake and having it. Yes, it plays to the competitor being 100% responsible for anything found in their systems, but as a final declaration that makes us feel that they have properly prosecuted this case, it is a failure. The key to this case turns out to be that he couldn't PROVE that he ate a contaminated steak ( which was going to be an impossible task at best.) What is it that CAS determined was the contaminated food supplement? a multi vitamin? In your mind, Schleck won "fair and square". Andy knows better. Enjoy yourself in fantasy land.

It was decided that Contador won the Tour in a way that violated the rules; so he is out. No question for me.

I don't think Schleck should really be promoted, however, because the race was run with Contador as an actor. I don't see any problem with calling him the best finisher, or something similar, but he didn't do anything to win, besides finishing second to a DQ'ed competitor.

Finally, there are no winners when doping rules are violated. (Don't anyone get in a fit; I chose my words carefully)