• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who would have Two Big Wins in their Career?

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who among these will have Two BIG Wins?

• Zdenek Stybar (31)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Wout Poels (29)

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Sep Vanmarcke (28)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Rui Costa (30)

• Esteban Chavez (27)

Votes: 26 51.0%
  • Ian Stannard (29)

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Diego Rosa (27)

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Mikel Landa (27)

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Greg Van Avermaet (31)

Votes: 30 58.8%
  • Niki Trepstra (32)

• Total voters
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
El Pistolero said:
barmaher said:
This forum gets more and more crazy. The google thing is the most ridiculous way to compare riders. Especially as Pantani had a tempestuous last few years, with expulsions, doping bans, bizarre media appearances and a tragic death accounting for thousands of media coverage than Indurain, who retired back to rural Spain.

Well yeah, that's what makes him a legend. That's what makes Ché Guevarra a legend or mythical hero. You know who lived to old age and isn't considered a hero or legend? Fidel Castro. But if he had died around the same time as Ché...

It's not just results, but your lifestyle, personality and racing behavior that determines if you become a legend.

Castro aint considered a hero by the Cuban people? :lol:
Oh god, dude. Please do continue. A few posts and views more and we are reaching legendary status here. :lol:

I'm sure there are also people who consider Hitler a hero, but that's not really the point. Go look online and you'll see that the opinion on Castro is very mixed. Some think he's the devil incarnate, some think he's a saint and then there's the people who have a more balanced opinion of him.

You're not going to see Western people wearing t-shirts with Castro's face on.

Re:

El Pistolero said:
By the way, Indurain is not a legend. Pantani is.

Google their name: Indurain gives you 1 million hits, Pantani gives you over 2 million hits.

Youtube: Indurain: 32000 results, Pantani: 75000 results.
images

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Breh said:
Last two pages are brilliant. Thanks El Pistolero. You've really broadened my view on the world.

Did you know that Trump is twice as good a president as Obama according to google?

And life in China is over six times as good as in Denmark.

Being a legend, or being rememberable has nothing to do with being "good" or "bad though.

And yes, China is a much more beautiful country than Denmark, with more history, impressive architecture, culture and beautiful landscapes. Not exactly a fair comparison given the size of the two countries though.

Last time I checked this thread we were talking about picking cycling legends with Google hits.

Now we are talking about Fidel Castro and Cuba????? hahahaha. And recently diverted to Trump. Hope they don't shut this down because it has given me the best laugh in a long time. :D :D :D

Re: Re:

El Pistolero said:
Valv.Piti said:
El Pistolero said:
barmaher said:
This forum gets more and more crazy. The google thing is the most ridiculous way to compare riders. Especially as Pantani had a tempestuous last few years, with expulsions, doping bans, bizarre media appearances and a tragic death accounting for thousands of media coverage than Indurain, who retired back to rural Spain.

Well yeah, that's what makes him a legend. That's what makes Ché Guevarra a legend or mythical hero. You know who lived to old age and isn't considered a hero or legend? Fidel Castro. But if he had died around the same time as Ché...

It's not just results, but your lifestyle, personality and racing behavior that determines if you become a legend.

Castro aint considered a hero by the Cuban people? :lol:
Oh god, dude. Please do continue. A few posts and views more and we are reaching legendary status here. :lol:

I'm sure there are also people who consider Hitler a hero, but that's not really the point. Go look online and you'll see that the opinion on Castro is very mixed. Some think he's the devil incarnate, some think he's a saint and then there's the people who have a more balanced opinion of him.

You're not going to see Western people wearing t-shirts with Castro's face on.
Bam! Godwin's Law proved right:

Godwin's law (or Godwin's rule of Hitler analogies) is an Internet adage which asserts that "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hitler approaches 1" —​​that is, if an online discussion (regardless of topic or scope) goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to Hitler.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

Re:

Escarabajo said:
Last time I checked this thread we were talking about picking cycling legends with Google hits.

Now we are talking about Fidel Castro and Cuba????? hahahaha. And recently diverted to Trump. Hope they don't shut this down because it has given me the best laugh in a long time. :D :D :D

It seem to have changed to how number of Google hits is an indicator of legend status.

Born 1980 onwards. Riders that have atleast two career BIG wins

Valverde
Nibali
Froome
Cavendish
Gilbert
Sagan
Alaphilippe
Quintana
Degenkolb
Kristoff
Martin
GVA
Kwiatkowski
Terpstra

Retired
Contador
Boonen
Cancellera
Rodriguez
Evans
Cunego
Schleck
Ballan
Devolder
Gerrans

New Additions
Roglic
Fuglsang
Pogacar
Bernal

Potential Additions:
Van der Poel
Van Aert
Asgreen
Carapaz
Thomas
Hart
Bettiol
Pinot
Yates
Chaves

Last edited:
Reactions: Panda Claws
Nibali and Alaphilippe are missing from your list. Nibali for some reason was missing in the OP as well.

I'm almost 100% confident WVA and VdP will get another big one soon.
Carapaz and Asgreen definitely have a good chance too.
The window for Thomas is closing but it's not impossible.
Bettiol sure has the talent to win another Monument but he's very inconsistent.
Pinot and Chaves I'm leaning towards no.
TGH and Yates depend on the GTs they'll target (and if given leadership in case of TGH).

Reactions: Panda Claws

TRENDING THREADS